Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, J7 said:

Absolute drivel. If we draw with Bournemouth, are we not to say anything negative to sum up the performance because we got shagged off Carlisle in 1982 or Scunthorpe in 2009. Don’t talk shite. You compare performances now with what has come in recent times. 

What, and be like you? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Is the term “happy clapper”?

Just as much as it is Boo Boy tbf.

Think Howe deserves some 'reason' tbh. He hardly deserves sacking but he does need to address things. A lot fo sensationalist remarks being made though like us being honking and shir since the start of last season etc. Think that's all a bit much and quite literally ignoring some of the performances of a lifetime as a Newcastle fan (in the case of PSG).

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Think Howe deserves some 'reason' tbh. He hardly deserves sacking but he does need to address things. A lot fo sensationalist remarks being made though like us being honking and shir since the start of last season etc. Think that's all a bit much and quite literally ignoring some of the performances of a lifetime as a Newcastle fan (in the case of PSG).

Summer transfer window was horrendous and is the reason we’re doing so badly. No idea who to blame for it. But pretending everything is fine is weird.

Edited by Shearergol

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

What convinces people that things will improve, particularly away from home? It’s the same performance with the same glaring issues week in week out. 

The fact that we win more than we lose and have been on a largely upward trajectory throughout the current incumbents tenure.

Just now, Heron said:

The fact that we win more than we lose and have been on a largely upward trajectory throughout the current incumbents tenure.

Away from home though? It’s the same thing every week for around a year. 

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

Last year tbf

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Summer transfer window was horrendous and is the reason we’re doing so badly. No idea who to blame for it. But pretending everything is fine is weird.

Is anyone actually saying everything is fine though?

To be clear, I don't think we should be binning Howe, but I wonder how much longer these absolutely limp as fuck away performances can continue before the tide starts to turn against him. We can't retain the ball, the shithousey streetwise edge has completely disappeared and the horrible flat 3 in midfield is so easy to play against but he just won't change it. Same 65 min subs every time too, you can absolutely set your watch by us we're that obvious.

Things aren't as bad as some people are saying, but between the lack of investment in key positions and Howe rolling out the same predictable, easy to play against soft touch set up away from home every time, there's a feeling of malaise about the team at the moment and that's the bigger worry, in my opinion. It's only going to take a few more weeks of dropping points before we need to put together some seriously good consistent form just to stay in touch, and so many of the lads look out of form and shot to bits.

I really hope it turns round quickly but I have a nagging feeling he's started to run out of ideas and is just putting blind faith in sticking with the same old til it works. Same goes for the shit clipped corner to Burn, that's 50-odd without a goal now, please change it.

Tough week coming up but getting through in the cup tie would be a huge boost that we desperately could do with.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Which times, out of interest?

Man City. Everton and Brighton finishing aside. Half of Wolves. Forest. 

Said it before and I'll say it again, Isak and especially Gordon have their shooting boots on in the last few and no one has any issues with our performances. 

First time I've said this, and any pedants are welcome to check, but I think it's time we considered a change.

This is a team in decline from the team that finished 4th. The decline started last season and has carried through into this one. I'm not sure what we do well anymore. We don't attack well, we don't defend well, we don't press with intensity anymore, we arent pleasing on the eye. We need a freshen up. By this I mean on the pitch and in the dugout. 

I love Howe and am very grateful for what he's achieved here but I don't think he's the calibre of manager who can now allow us to push on. It's a brutal sport and I think we need to move on now.

I'm not going to start calling for his head or anything daft like that but if Chelsea beat us again on Wednesday then Arsenal beat us at home, we're out the cup and likely 13th/14th the owners will rightly get twitchy.

In mitigation the transfer window was a shambles but I still think there's enough there to be above the likes of Forest, Brentford, Fulham amd Bournemouth.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Last year tbf

But some folk are saying even from the start of last season there were issues? Some of the language around "honking" and such like is just sensationalist for me like. We haven't been good but we've picked up points. When we have improved performances we haven't picked up points. We've been let down in two games (in particular - for me) by Howes tactics with the midfield . Fulham and today. Other than that in the last 4 we've missed several massive goal scoring opportunities theough Isak, Gordon and Longstaff. 

I just feel people weighing in on any specific element of our lack of success aren't really looking at the whole picture, and it's not as bad as some folk are making out either. We could have easily gotten 6 more points in the last 4, just as we could have had 6 less from the games prior. Some of us (myself) are looking at the former. Others seem to only look at the latter.

There needs to be some balance to all of this, and that isn't "Howe Out" or "Howes done" or "We will never get anywhere with Howe".

(Not saying you've said any of those specific remarks btw.)

2 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Serious question (And I think the answer is no), if we lose the next 3 games before the international break does he get sacked?

No chance, we aren’t at that stage yet. 

My issue is he doesn't seem to be addressing multiple issues with the team. 

Set pieces. Weak midfield. The RW issue. Routine subs. 

I don’t want another manager. I want him to be who I thought he’d be. A progressive, always learning young coach. 

2 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

My issue is he doesn't seem to be addressing multiple issues with the team. 

Set pieces. Weak midfield. The RW issue. Routine subs. 

I don’t want another manager. I want him to be who I thought he’d be. A progressive, always learning young coach. 

Our set pieces are beyond a joke.

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

It's an issue. Not one we cannot overcome - with Howe.

Your loyalty is great but realistically there’s basically nothing to suggest he’s the coach to build a team who can play a more possession based style of football needed to kill games away from home especially and create chances without man for man pressing high up the pitch.

Couple of big games coming up for him, fully expect the club to support him even if we lose them both. Don’t think there’ll be much appetite to replace him this season, unless we really spiral towards bottom of the league.

My two penneth though I think his numbers up going forward, I really like him as a man and public figure for the club, very professional, dignified and likeable.

However, thought he crossed the line in summer with interview in Germany, Staveley gave him to much control on transfers and we’ve paid the cost.

As others have said his tactics are stale and we’ve been found out, the midfield is a shambles without a 6 and I don’t even think the football is very good anymore, there’s no pattern of play, we struggle with even the simplest of passing and I think every player apart from Hall has regressed.

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Man City. Everton and Brighton finishing aside. Half of Wolves. Forest. 

Said it before and I'll say it again, Isak and especially Gordon have their shooting boots on in the last few and no one has any issues with our performances. 

That's true but whatever we think as fans, managers are going to be judged on results. 

Let's say you're right, Gordon puts that penalty at Everton away and Isak squares it today so we're 8th on 16 points. That's fine, but we still haven't played well have we? We've had games where we've had good spells certainly but it's not anything close to 22/23 in terms of defensive solidity, creating chances, having a clear identity. 

I said it a lot towards the end of last season but Howe still has loads of time to change the narrative. He did it (mostly) last season, finishing just outside of European qualification and just behind teams you'd expect us to be around. However, if we end up behind the likes of Forest, Fulham, Bournemouth after 20 games or so, questions are going to be asked by the decision makers.