Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Lots of teams build up with 3 back in defence - 2 in midfield.  

It’s not the main reason we had 1 shot on target. 

Agree with that, main reason is little attacking threat coming through central midfield.

Edited by Displayname

11 hours ago, Jagten said:

They created a lot more good chances. We created none. 

That doesn't equate to 'should have been comfortably beaten' in my book.  Feel like you're doing the lads an injustice by suggesting it tbh. 

We were worth the point. 

Just now, Wilson said:

That doesn't equate to 'should have been comfortably beaten' in my book.  Feel like you're doing the lads an injustice by suggesting it tbh. 

We were worth the point. 

Look at any Xg metric. It's a minimum of 2 goals for them and a maximum of 0.3 for us.

That's a  2-0 scoreline.

For comparison - our non-penalty Xg against Brentford was 0.6

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I’m yet to see anyone complain about getting a point, most of us are delighted with the point in isolation. 

People are expressing concern about a trend of disjointed and below par performances, why the discussion of this is so offensive to some I’m not sure. 

I think it's because it is completely overstated.

We have played some very good teams to start the season.

We are also integrating Gordon and Tonali into two key positions for us last season. The left sided Joelinton and Willock combination was key, as was the right sided Longstaff, Almiron and Trippier trio. These are now no more.

On top of this teams are now going to show us a lot more respect due to what we achieved last season and will be far more prepared and up for facing us.

We are also now missing key players from last year in Joelinton and Willock.

There is no acknowledgement of any of these factors and the impact they have had, or any understanding or patience for the fact that these can only be worked through with the team getting more reps to continue to build back up to where we were, along with getting missing players back as the squad depth is still not the strongest.

Instead now players are not good enough, the manager is not tactical enough, things will have to change or players will leave.

I don't even understand why some of you even bother following the team, as it seems so incredibly unenjoyable. Would be so much easier to just pick a team where everything is already perfect and enjoy following them instead.

Edited by KaKa

23 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think it's because it is completely overstated.

We have played some very good teams to start the season.

We are also integrating Gordon and Tonali into two key positions for us last season. The left sided Joelinton and Willock combination was key, as was the right sided Longstaff, Almiron and Trippier trio. These are now no more.

On top of this teams are now going to show us a lot more respect due to what we achieved last season and will be far more prepared and up for facing us.

We are also now missing key players from last year in Joelinton and Willock.

There is no acknowledgement of any of these factors and the impact they have had, or any understanding or patience for the fact that these can only be worked through with the team getting more reps to continue to build back up to where we were, along with getting missing players back as the squad depth is still not the strongest.

Instead now players are not good enough, the manager is not tactical enough, things will have to change or players will leave.

I don't even understand why some of you even bother following the team, as it seems so incredibly unenjoyable. Would be so much easier to just pick a team where everything is already perfect and enjoy following them instead.

So from your post, you agree with mine or nah? Can’t be bothered responding to the strawmans :lol:

14 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The fact that that's weapons-grade horseshit is the main issue.

It wasn't even close to 'really poor'. Disjointed and ineffective going forward I'll give you but there was plenty to like about the performance. We were incredibly dogged, kept our emotions and mentality in check, strong at the back (with some good fortune) and had spells where we were in total control of the match. We also had a knack of winning possession back quickly after losing it and were very effective at buying time, either through winning fouls or just keeping possession - not a bad tactic at the San Siro. That's before we get onto the various brilliant individual performances. 

There are some tactical issues atm, I would totally agree with that. But criticism to that degree is just plain wrong. We wouldn't have got out of there with a point if we were really poor/awful/whatever.

Can we compromise on the notion that we’ve looked ineffective in possession in most games so far this season? Last night we were poor with the ball.

Last season’s success was largely based on winning the ball deep in the opposition half. Purely based on the eye test I don’t see us doing that much this season.

I think it’s fair to express the opinion that we didn’t show the best version of ourselves on the night but still be relatively happy to salvage a point at the San Siro.

I don’t think this Milan team are anything special although -based on our performances this season (granted against some top competition) - neither are we :lol: .

Edited by McCormick

5 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Can we compromise on the notion that we’ve looked ineffective in possession in most games so far this season? Last night we were poor with the ball.

Last season’s success was largely based on winning the ball deep in the opposition half. Purely based on the eye test I don’t see us doing that much this season.

I don't think there's anything controversial about that at all. What I take issue with is people saying we were really poor or awful or shite or anything like that, cos we simply weren't. Compared to 6-1 vs Spurs maybe, aye. Compared to games in the not distant past where we were actually really poor, definitely not. 

These were exactly the same conversations being had after Bournemouth last year.

It's fair to say we've looked disjointed as an attacking unit, but there's quite a few mitigating circumstances in terms of injuries, personnel changes and the difficulty of the fixtures.

Just now, KaKa said:

You can just ignore the post then, if you didn't understand it.

Understood it perfectly fine, the issue was it was your usual ramble against something that wasn’t overwhelming positive as per usual with you. If you believe our attacking performances have been fine fair play :thup:

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

These were exactly the same conversations being had after Bournemouth last year.

It's fair to say we've looked disjointed as an attacking unit, but there's quite a few mitigating circumstances in terms of injuries, personnel changes and the difficulty of the fixtures.

Total faith in Eddie to find the answers, he has done it over and over.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I really don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

Total faith in Eddie to find the answers, he has done it over and over.

Absolutely, I’m sure he will figure it out our recruitment this summer has made his job harder in the short term but I’m sure it will look canny in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think there's anything controversial about that at all. What I take issue with is people saying we were really poor or awful or shite or anything like that, cos we simply weren't. Compared to 6-1 vs Spurs maybe, aye. Compared to games in the not distant past where we were actually really poor, definitely not. 

The only thing I’d add to my comments about being poor in possession is that we look very susceptible to a ball played through our midfield to a player between our midfield and defence. It seems to happen a few times in every game and I thought he would have fixed it by now. Plenty of good performances last night but as a team we don’t look defensively solid IMO.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Understood it perfectly fine, the issue was it was your usual ramble against something that wasn’t overwhelming positive as per usual with you. If you believe our attacking performances have been fine fair play :thup:

So you didn't understand it then :lol:

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

The only thing I’d add to my comments about being poor in possession is that we look very susceptible to a ball played through our midfield to a player between our midfield and defence. It seems to happen a few times in every game and I thought he would have fixed it by now. Plenty of good performances last night but as a team we don’t look defensively solid IMO.

Yeah definitely; it was the same against Brighton. This appears to be a new problem too, not something that happened much last season that I recall. I don't know if it's midfield shape or CBs being deeper, or what.

However, two clean sheets on the bounce indicates some solidity. Probably not sustainable though given this tactical issue. 

We miss having the 2 Joe's bossing the midfield and seem to be struggling to find a balance. As said by someone earlier, we are in the process of integrating Tonali and Gordon into our system. Personally, I would like to see Gordon tuck in a bit rather than being glued to the line so much.