Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I have had my issues with TCD in the past, but he has been an encouraging voice of reason for awhile, and has demonstrated how you can praise a system and manager with very well reasoned critique. He won't see this post, but I am impressed nonetheless.

He inboxed me before calling you a sack of shit. 

Not trying to stir shit or owt. 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Even with players coming back it's not going to be like a light switch, the players aren't going to suddenly be ungassed, I think it will take a while of rotation and good subs to get our players back up to full speed and just pray that no one else breaks down. Howe should be safe as houses, a few bad results in the light of current circumstances shouldn't do anything to the foundations he's already built and I doubt they have.

Losing to the mackems could shake them foundations

Edited by BullyDogs

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We don’t have the personnel to make another style work.  We need to get the press right away from home and prioritise legs over ability in team selection.   Can’t do that now with all the injuries and win many games unfortunately. 

Not many teams with so many out for so long with a run of "big"games would make a success of it.

5 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I have had my issues with TCD in the past, but he has been an encouraging voice of reason for awhile, and has demonstrated how you can praise a system and manager with very well reasoned critique. He won't see this post, but I am impressed nonetheless.

Thanks Vinny. I try not to get too high when we are winning and I try not to get too low when we are losing. People think im overly critical in good times but dont notice im rarely the most knee jerk or pessimistic in bad times. 

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Happy to quote this for TCD’s benefit. I generally have different opinions to TCD when things are not going so well for the team but I do appreciate TCD’s efforts in backing his opinions up and although there’s a reactionary element to his posts like many of us on the forum, he doesn’t just stick to the same opinions on players as more evidence / stats etc comes forward. I think it’s fair to say that it’s often the tone of interaction that has resulted in disagreements 

39 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Huge apologies to Neej, looks like I did mention Gerrard as a potential candidate. Ffs. I honestly hand on heart have no recollection of that. 🙈

Fuck me. I'm out. 

Fair play for owning up and apologising. No harm done. 

My phone died just as you quoted me which robbed me of my chance to land the ultimate finishing move. :lol:

Eddie's got this, man. 

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Eddie's banked so much goodwill he could throw Tindall into a double pivot with Bruno against Milan and he'd be well safe

Even if he had lost these 2 games (2 games FFS - we were all buzzing this time last week) with a full strength squad, sacking him should be a million miles away from the minds of any half sensible fans.

14 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Losing to the mackems could shake them foundations

Not a chance. Given our situation we shouldn't be going full strength. They should have a new manager, so we won't know what to expect from them. It'll be a good game and should be taken in the same vein as any other loss, if that happens.

It won't though.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

What have we been trying all season?

In the league we’ve not had 2 legitimate good performances all season away from home.  

We look good when we press. 

We haven't been able to try, that's the point. You gradually change, we haven't been able due to Tonali being out and all the injuries. Didn't you say we could go like a 4231 with Isak playing  in the middle of the 3 and the players we'd brought in seemed to point that way ie Tonali, Barnes.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Thanks Vinny. I try not to get too high when we are winning and I try not to get too low when we are losing. People think im overly critical in good times but dont notice im rarely the most knee jerk or pessimistic in bad times. 

I've always appreciated your insight, but just not how some of it was delivered on occasion. But you know a hell of lot more about tactics than I do. There are a few on this forum who have never provided anything for me to learn. I could never accuse you of that. 

We weren’t good at Wolves and were lucky to be 2-1 up.  I didn’t watch but I was told we weren’t good at West Ham either and still found ourselves 2-1 up.  

Results aside - we’ve not been playing well away from home in the league.  In the CL, 45 minutes against PSG aside - we’ve performed poorly too. Lucky to escape with a point at Milan and well beaten in Dortmund. On another day PSG score 3 in Paris.  

I think Howe will get it right eventually. But his approach hasn’t looked like working all season away from home. We don’t try to press a lot of the time. And then we are left with a team that can barely pass but has quality in moments. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We weren’t good at Wolves and were lucky to be 2-1 up.  I didn’t watch but I was told we weren’t good at West Ham either and still found ourselves 2-1 up.  

Results aside - we’ve not been playing well away from home in the league.  In the CL, 45 minutes against PSG aside - we’ve performed poorly too. Lucky to escape with a point at Milan and well beaten in Dortmund. On another day PSG score 3 in Paris.  

I think Howe will get it right eventually. But his approach hasn’t looked like working all season away from home. We don’t try to press a lot of the time. And then we are left with a team that can barely pass but has quality in moments. 

West ham we started slow then were deservedly ahead and should have gone out if sight, again fatigue at the end (shit bench) lead to them getting back in.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

We haven't been able to try, that's the point. You gradually change, we haven't been able due to Tonali being out and all the injuries. Didn't you say we could go like a 4231 with Isak playing  in the middle of the 3 and the players we'd brought in seemed to point that way ie Tonali, Barnes.

When he has had the opportunity he didn’t try it. The actual approach he has been trying, has not been working.  This is a fact. We’ve been unlucky with injuries. But we’ve deservedly lost the matches we have lost based on performance.  

As we get options back, I trust Howe to tinker his approach. He only tends to switch things up when he’s exhausted plan A and we are getting close to that point. 

1 hour ago, Decky said:

Of course its too early. We've been destroyed by injuries and we wouldn't be in this situation without the injuries and we won't be in a few weeks when we get more players back. In the summer we should be targeting players with fitness records that suit our style and try and move on players like Wilson who are guaranteed to have at least two spells on the sidelines every season. I love Wilson but we can't be having this anymore with him, he's far too unreliable and will probably only get worse as he gets older. Anyone else in the squad with these issues should be moved on too if the right replacement can be brought in. All the stops need to be pulled out to prevent an injury crisis like this happening again.

I agree. And by the way I didn't mean too early to fire him, I just meant it's too early to even have a discussion about it.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Not sure how people could easily forget how awful this place was from about November 2021 to the Leeds win.

I had just restarted watching Newcastle and English football in general the summer of 2021. That was a dire period. Eddie must have spent a few sleepless nights wondering how to turn the Titanic around before he hit the iceberg.