Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 hours ago, Pilko said:

Whatever he did this week in terms of prep was absolutely bob on, the selection and the tactics spot on, the late subs and getting a doubled over with laughter Paully D on the pitch a mark of brilliance too. 

I was expecting the win, but wasn't expecting it to be so comprehensive. The Mackems had every psychological advantage, being the underdogs, playing at home, in a local derby and facing a rival that had not won in a while. Somehow, it looked like we wanted it more, and they were the ones who were more scared.

In terms of both tactics and motivational skills, our man has no superior.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I understand the parallel to be fair.

In the Isak one he asks him if the first goal was important, if the second goal was important, if 3 in 3 is good and if he thought he'd miss the penalty. The lad is an idiot.

We still seem to lack protection in front of the back 4, for a few months now teams are getting (what seems like) loads of direct shots at our goal, we have two very good shot stopper keepers, but I reckon against the likes of Villa and Man City this will cause us problems.

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, Ben said:

We still seem to lack protection in front of the back 4, for a few months now teams are getting (what seems like) loads of direct shots at our goal, we have two very good shot stopper keepers, but I reckon against the likes of Villa and Man City this will cause us problems.

It’s when we have to play a midfield 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Miley. It leaves too many gaps, is weak and gets overrun. We looked back to our solid midfield when Joelinton was in there, where we control the game. Was evident to see when he went off that we lost a bit of control.

It’s one or the other for me out of Longstaff and Miley (I know we don’t have options unfortunately) as when they both play we look very susceptible and unable to control the middle.

Think Longstaff gets away with being carried through games a little when he has a strong pairing with him, but he doesn’t step up when a young kid like Miley comes in. 

For me it isn’t so much as protection in front of the back 4 we need, and more about getting our players back and getting that strong midfield line up and running again, which has served us so well.

Edited by reefatoon

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Once Joelinton was off it was painfully obvious that our problems are midfield-based.  Bruno isn’t disciplined enough to play where he plays if the players next to him aren’t going to cover.  I’m sure young Miley’s day will come, but we need Willock and Joelinton back and fit ASAP. 

Howe could customise the system more when the personnel changes.  The system requires strong and hard running power. If we don’t have that, we need to tinker the system to protect us. 

Howe has proven himself a ‘let’s do Plan A better’ type of guy so I expect that to continue.  So we need Willock and Joelinton back asap. 

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

It’s when we have to play a midfield 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Miley. It leaves too many gaps, is weak and gets overrun. We looked back to our solid midfield when Joelinton was in there, where we control the game. Was evident to see when he went off that we lost a bit of control.

It’s one or the other for me out of Longstaff and Miley (I know we don’t have options unfortunately) as when they both play we look very susceptible and unable to control the middle.

Think Longstaff gets away with being carried through games a little when he has a strong pairing with him, but he doesn’t step up when a young kid like Miley comes in. 

For me it isn’t so much as protection in front of the back 4 we need, and more about getting our players back and getting that strong midfield line up and running again, which has served us so well.

agree with this. fortunately Eddie and club addressed it with Tonali but unfortunately…. aye. 

The tonali situation has really hurt us badly IMO.having a fit player who cant play because of something  that happened iin Italy is crazy. With all the people now working in recruitment under Ashworth this shouldn't  have  happened.

Edited by splinter

Guest reefatoon
42 minutes ago, dave s said:

agree with this. fortunately Eddie and club addressed it with Tonali but unfortunately…. aye. 

Yeah this is true. Just so frustrating how it turned out.

Thanks for posting that. Interesting, like you say.

Two things struck me - Eddie was very focused and absorbed in his work, and that seemed to rub off on the players. There was no messing about.

There was also plenty of praise and encouragement. Any criticism was constructive. Very professional - no surprise there.

7 hours ago, duo said:

I hadn't seen this before..was interesting

Great insight.  A couple of things.  Eddie likes to use the phrase "different gravy" which implies well done and I take it "wee man" he referred to was Ryan Fraser.

Arteta's getting stick off Arsenal fans and they are still on track for their minimum goal this season (CL football).

Rightfully so the fans are questioning his transfers. Havertz one in particular.

Edited by The College Dropout

22 hours ago, splinter said:

The tonali situation has really hurt us badly IMO.having a fit player who cant play because of something  that happened iin Italy is crazy. With all the people now working in recruitment under Ashworth this shouldn't  have  happened.

I’m not sure about that like. Doesn’t matter how many people you have working on a transfer, you can’t know every detail of someone’s personal life. 

What even is Havertz? I wonder if he is basically an old school no 10 or second striker who needs to be playing just off someone and why he doesnt work deeper or solo up front, but even then, where is the goal and assist return? I know he was good in Germany and sort of scored important goals if not many for Chelsea but I really don't understand, he's like Ratface Bruno without the end product

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure about that like. Doesn’t matter how many people you have working on a transfer, you can’t know every detail of someone’s personal life. 

If we had better connections in Italy, IMO we would've heard *something*. 

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

What even is Havertz? I wonder if he is basically an old school no 10 or second striker who needs to be playing just off someone and why he doesnt work deeper or solo up front, but even then, where is the goal and assist return? I know he was good in Germany and sort of scored important goals if not many for Chelsea but I really don't understand, he's like Ratface Bruno without the end product

Ratface Bruno is at least a main character. Havertz is a ghost.

I think he's a second striker. Arriving late in the box to score goals. With his technique and athleticism, he's tactically flexible but he's not the type of player to stamp his authority on a game. He's a player who is much less than the same of his parts - like a better Jermaine Jenas. Something missing between the ears that prevents him being a top player.

I genuinely think being German has helped protect his reputation. If he was Turkish or something - he would get far more stick for being "sometimeish".