Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Howe's staunch loyalty to some players has definitely shifted from 'admirable' to 'dangerous'. To back your players and not give in to pressure from fans and neutrals can't really continue if those said players are getting exposed again and again and again in every match and they're still starting each week. To continue to watch Burn get rinsed continually and start him each week regardless is definitely one of those. Teams are targeting him and he's being battered and the boss isn't doing anything until the damage is done.

Man-management is one admirable skill but not when it comes at the expense of the team and results. Especially when you've got a player like Tino on the bench waiting until we're chasing the game. The other player I'm thinking of is Almiron who continues to work hard but miss chance after chance of bollocks up the move nearly every time he gets into good positions. The other is Dubravka, at best he's now just adequate but we've shipped nearly 3 a game on average for the last couple of months and he's been largely poor from what I've seen. 

Howe needs to do something to mix it up and ask teams different questions to the ones we're currently posing as we're being ripped open way too often, we're a predictable dream to play against, you know exactly who's playing, where they're playing and the weak spots are left untouched. He'll need to get his shit in a pile asap or he could be in a bit of bother watching it happen and not doing anything to stop it at source. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Ah, so now what they say is meaningless. Okay. We will see.

I think they are smart enough to know the calibre of manager they have and it will be proven over time.

Of course it is. KSA make the calls, not Darren Eales. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Meaningless tbf.  John Hall made similar comments re Ossie Ardiles when he was literally in the process of sacking him and appointing Keegan.  No CEO, Chairman or board are going to come out and say ‘Eddie’s on thin ice’. 

Honestly they'd be crazy to even be considering it given the circumstances. The Dan Ashworth farce has shown just how important character and integrity are at this club, every time I see Howe giving an interview I feel immense pride. That's not to say he's infallible, but he has to be judged on when we have a near enough full squad available.

Felt he hung Burn out to dry today - clearly a weak link in defence as he just doesn't have the pace to play the role he is being asked to play.  Then to haul him off after they scored the second - harsh imo.

Just now, TRon said:

Honestly they'd be crazy to even be considering it given the circumstances. The Dan Ashworth farce has shown just how important character and integrity are at this club, every time I see Howe giving an interview I feel immense pride. That's not to say he's infallible, but he has to be judged on when we have a near enough full squad available.

I’m in agreement tbh - my hope would be that if the current season continues on its trajectory, then the ‘consequences’ are a lot of ‘lessons learned’ sessions in the management / board.  My fear is an unnecessary reaction from the day-to-day runners of the club, or from Riyadh. 

Be interesting to see what the transfer approach is in summer. Felt like last summer, Howe rightly had sway over certain business, which meant getting someone like Barnes over others. But this summer, would board back him the same way? 

34 minutes ago, midds said:

Howe's staunch loyalty to some players has definitely shifted from 'admirable' to 'dangerous'. To back your players and not give in to pressure from fans and neutrals can't really continue if those said players are getting exposed again and again and again in every match and they're still starting each week. To continue to watch Burn get rinsed continually and start him each week regardless is definitely one of those. Teams are targeting him and he's being battered and the boss isn't doing anything until the damage is done.

Man-management is one admirable skill but not when it comes at the expense of the team and results. Especially when you've got a player like Tino on the bench waiting until we're chasing the game. The other player I'm thinking of is Almiron who continues to work hard but miss chance after chance of bollocks up the move nearly every time he gets into good positions. The other is Dubravka, at best he's now just adequate but we've shipped nearly 3 a game on average for the last couple of months and he's been largely poor from what I've seen. 

Howe needs to do something to mix it up and ask teams different questions to the ones we're currently posing as we're being ripped open way too often, we're a predictable dream to play against, you know exactly who's playing, where they're playing and the weak spots are left untouched. He'll need to get his shit in a pile asap or he could be in a bit of bother watching it happen and not doing anything to stop it at source. 

All the best managers give into the fan backlash like. It's how Fergie won his titles.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ah, so now what they say is meaningless. Okay. We will see.

I think they are smart enough to know the calibre of manager they have and it will be proven over time.

No, ‘votes of confidence’ are notorious in football for being the exact opposite.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m in agreement tbh - my hope would be that if the current season continues on its trajectory, then the ‘consequences’ are a lot of ‘lessons learned’ sessions in the management / board.  My fear is an unnecessary reaction from the day-to-day runners of the club, or from Riyadh. 

There are some question marks tbh, I didn't like how he handled the games against Dortmund, thought we got thouroughly outwitted in both legs, but we would have still been on course for a great season without the injuries IMO.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, that’s definitely true.  Staveley has confirmed previously that PIF ultimately make the big calls on the big decisions.  It’s their club, not Darren Eales’. 

I do not see them coming in demanding the manager be moved on ahead of the people they have appointed at the club. Certainly not for a manager that is already over achieving and that has completely galvanized the club already in his short time here.

I don't even know who you think is sitting there that is a certainty to come in and do any better. I imagine at some point Pochettino would have been deemed a good option were he available, and at a club that has spent a billion in a year he has been sat in mid table the whole season.

We'll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I do not see them coming in demanding the manager be moved on ahead of the people they have appointed at the club. Certainly not for a manager that is already over achieving and that has completely galvanized the club already in his short time here.

I don't even know who you think is sitting there that is a certainty to come in and do any better. I imagine at some point Pochettino would have been deemed a good option were he available, and at a club that has spent a billion in a year he has been sat in mid table the whole season.

We'll see how it goes.

I think you’re mistaking me for someone who thinks that there is a replacement in the wings.  I don’t think Howe should be sacked, nor do I think he shouldn’t be given significant time to improve performances.  

We don’t know PIF’s views on the subject, at all. 

6 minutes ago, Jagten said:

We're controlled by KSA. There's nothing to wait and see bro. They will fire everyone if it goes badly for too long. 

Only unrealistic fans deem things to be 'going badly'.  It is far from the case in reality.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

There are some question marks tbh, I didn't like how he handled the games against Dortmund, thought we got thouroughly outwitted in both legs, but we would have still been on course for a great season without the injuries IMO.

Likewise, for me (assuming we’re in Europe next year) I’d like to see what Howe learned from this season.  If the same mistakes are being made after fresh signings and a full break, that’s when I’d start to become hard-nosed about it. 

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, ‘votes of confidence’ are notorious in football for being the exact opposite.  

It wasn't a vote of confidence in the first place, because his job was never under any kind of threat.

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

One of the most sensible posts in recent history.