Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why ? I wouldn’t let other fans opinions affect your enjoyment. 

He's a top man, and in my opinion a top managerial prospect. I want better for him. The delusion of the fans under this Saudi ownership is going to be toxic going forward. He deserves better.

It's weird how formation is treated as this entity where everyone just sits in their exact zone and never moves.

Howe messes with shape loads, from build ups to pressing structures to how the midfield covers space. Going on about 5-4-1 or whatever else we could cobble up with 2 fit senior CMs is simplifying things to an extreme.

However, even if it wasn't, just saying switch to 5-4-1 isn't some silver bullet for all of our problems. Might help one or two things but has knock-on effects elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

You literally called for rotating managers like a 15 year old would. It is a truly idiotic suggestion that you mentioned a few times, and so it is hard to take you seriously, man. 

You just don’t get the concept. Managers that have the energy to just go again season after season are few and far between. Maybe 3 or 4 in world football.

There’s a bunch of very effective managers who can give 2/3 good seasons before fatigue kicks in.

Eddie Howe is a spent force currently but does that make him a bad manager? No it doesn’t.. I think he could do with a break though.

We sack him, someone else will benefit in a year or so.

So what if we had someone else who could come in while Eddie took on a Football Director type role.. while having the time to recharge, upskill and come back with fresh ideas.

2/3 years and that person takes up the role and Eddie steps back in.

You have a squad that never gets stale with training and a plan. It’s not a new idea.. Alex Ferguson didn’t do any of the training.. he got good coaches in and the team stayed fresh.. then changed it up every 3/4 seasons.

But no current manager will ever have a stranglehold on a club like the way SAF did and Eddie Howe is too loyal to his current team so it’ll only go one way unfortunately.

I don’t think the concept is totally unreasonable.

Our midfield has become an issue for 2 reason. Firstly, only 1 of them can consistently receive the ball in any situation, Longstaff isn't good enough to do it and never will be and Miley is just too weak due to age. Secondly, they're incredibly 1 paced, no-one has any type of recovery pace or the pace to drive through the lines and cause a problem. Having Willock back changes that, but he still won't start for a few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It's weird how formation is treated as this entity where everyone just sits in their exact zone and never moves.

Howe messes with shape loads, from build ups to pressing structures to how the midfield covers space. Going on about 5-4-1 or whatever else we could cobble up with 2 fit senior CMs is simplifying things to an extreme.

However, even if it wasn't, just saying switch to 5-4-1 isn't some silver bullet for all of our problems. Might help one or two things but has knock-on effects elsewhere.

The ease in which our midfield 3 is passed through is a concern though.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

You just don’t get the concept. Managers that have the energy to just go again season after season are few and far between. Maybe 3 or 4 in world football.

There’s a bunch of very effective managers who can give 2/3 good seasons before fatigue kicks in.

Eddie Howe is a spent force currently but does that make him a bad manager? No it doesn’t.. I think he could do with a break though.

So what if we had someone else who could come in while Eddie took on a Football Director type role.. while having the time to recharge, upskill and come back with fresh ideas.

You have a squad that never gets stale with training and a plan. It’s not a new idea.. Alex Ferguson didn’t do any of the training.. he got good coaches in and the team stayed fresh.. then changed it up every 3/4 seasons.

But no current manager will ever have a stranglehold on a club like the way SAF did and Eddie Howe is too loyal to his current team so it’ll only go one way unfortunately.

Dude, you have zero concept of human psychology. I was just in a co-director situation for a film  and it was an utter disaster. And given the egos of most directors, very few would ever even agree to it for obvious reasons. Obviously different that your suggestion of rotation, but good luck on getting anyone to buy into that 

it’s a complete non starter because you will never get two elite managers agreeing to that. For you to stick with it is just utterly daft. And I assume that you Are better than such a daft suggestion. 

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

1 minute ago, M1tche said:

Our midfield has become an issue for 2 reason. Firstly, only 1 of them can consistently receive the ball in any situation, Longstaff isn't good enough to do it and never will be and Miley is just too weak due to age. Secondly, they're incredibly 1 paced, no-one has any type of recovery pace or the pace to drive through the lines and cause a problem. Having Willock back changes that, but he still won't start for a few weeks. 

Even with a fit squad. The flat 3 is susceptible to being played straight through. Huge gap between defence and midfield in mid to low blocks. But with athletes in there we are better able to squeeze opposition and make recovery runs. 

13 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

From The Guardian ...

Not that I think Newcastle are terrible but the project has stalled somewhat, or perhaps found its profit-and-sustainability glass ceiling,” begins Dave Watton.

“They’ve been hovering around 10th all season, 15 points off Villa in 4th, despite the dramatics they still went out of the Champions League in the group stages and as usual barely made a ripple in the cups. West Ham are supposed to be a crisis club and they’ll probably finish above Newcastle.

“My theory is that Guimaraes (who is a really good player) checked out a while ago, and the doors for FFP chicanery as patented in other stadiums backed by petro-state public investment funds are much harder to open in this brave new world where FFP punishments have teeth.

“I understand comments like ‘laugh now, before they are our overlords’ but I think people overstate it. With profit and sustainability rules as they are right now, I don’t see an obvious path for a team like Newcastle to be able to compete with the true elite, and I think their best players know it, hence the drop-off. Maybe they’ve already reached their high water mark.”

Took the perfect opportunity to stick the boot in and try and trample us down further in the protection of their precious 6. I won't even bother to dissect the piece as it's all a bunch of conjecture, bias and wilful ignorance.

This season looks like a write off after unprecedented bad fortune, weird and untimely injuries, unforseen bans and ridiculous and relentless cup ties.

We are in a rut, fatigue, half fit players and an unrelenting injury list put paid to any delusions of grandeur we might have had for this season, battling displays from patched up players and literal children eventually have succumbed to defeats and ultimately a complete loss of belief.

This is a culmination of what has preceeded it, we shouldn't have any excuses now but how can you take so many punches in a season and not feel it? Mentally we look shot, rabbits in the headlights tonight watching the inevitable unroll in front of them in slow motion and not having the mental fortitude to do anything about it.

It's been rough for Eddie but, for me, it's how he bounces back next season with fresh recruits and all his players back at his disposal that should decide his fate not the season that's akin to the 13th day of the Alamo.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

With all due respect, this is a loonycrackers take Dr Jinx - and it was the first time you put it up.  But it’s your hill, it’s for you to die on it if you wish ;) 

11 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Klopp most would consider elite and hasn’t played anything other than 4-3-3 in his time at Liverpool

He would often go 4-2-4 in some form though, as the central striker was always someone who could drop off out of possession. 

3 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Dude, you have zero concept of human psychology. I was just in a co-director situation for a film  and it was an utter disaster. And given the egos of most directors, very few would ever even agree to it for obvious reasons.

it’s a complete non starter because you will never get two elite managers agreeing to that. For you to stick with it is just utterly daft. And I assume that you Are better than such a daft suggestion. 

You sure mention your films often.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He has.  But only when Liverpool have been shit and it’s never really worked. At times last season he went 4231. 

Honestly should be a lesson to learn. I can't imagine many on here don't rate Klopp. If it didn't work for him in an injury hit season...

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Dude, you have zero concept of human psychology. I was just in a co-director situation for a film  and it was an utter disaster. And given the egos of most directors, very few would ever even agree to it for obvious reasons. Obviously different that your suggestion of rotation, but good luck on getting anyone to buy into that 

What was the film? Was it a bluey?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Even with a fit squad. The flat 3 is susceptible to being played straight through. Huge gap between defence and midfield in mid to low blocks. But with athletes in there we are better able to squeeze opposition and make recovery runs. 

Agreed, and without a keeper that sweeps up well the defence will play 10/20 yards making that gap even bigger and this midfield less capable of getting back. Give Willock or Joelinton 5 yards to make up when tracking, I'm backing them a lot of the time. Give anyone 10-20 they've got no chance.

2 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

The ease in which our midfield 3 is passed through is a concern though.

But I think that's an ethos issue not a shape one. The answer for 3 one-paced mids isn't to go down to 2 imo - you're just opening up more space unless you go exceptionally narrow in the wider positions or have very aggressive CBs (who need to be excellent at it).

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

With all due respect, this is a loonycrackers take Dr Jinx - and it was the first time you put it up.  But it’s your hill, it’s for you to die on it if you wish ;) 

It’s not about dying on a hill. I think Howe is done currently.. but it’s nothing that a said time away to recharge and upskill wouldn’t fix.

But that doesn’t exist in the current way football structures work so he’ll likely just get sacked after a period of time.. it may not be the summer.. could be middle of next season and it’ll almost feel like everything he achieved was for nothing when the vibe turns on him.. and it will.