Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

When was the last time we had a full strength squad?  
Without Pope, Joe and Wilson I don’t think we are anywhere near a top 10 premiership club.  Howe over-performing with what’s available to him. 

1 minute ago, black_n_white said:

Eddie’s target now must be 7th and going as far in FA cup. Anything less will be disappointing.

Not for me - say we finish 8th or even 9th, before we came somebody has said in the next three seasons you’ll finish 11th, 4th and 8th - getting a cup final along the way, would you have been happy with that?? I personally would have snapped their hands off.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Without Pope, Joe and Wilson I don’t think we are anywhere near a top 10 premiership club.  Howe over-performing with what’s available to him. 

When was the last time we had anywhere near a full strength squad ? I don't think I've ever known a season like this for long term Injuries to first teamers.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

Agreed - when we had dubs in 21-22 season we finished 11th and that seems about right to me. I can’t see how you can finish higher with dubs playing personally .

3 minutes ago, RS said:

I think this is fair. I do think people forget just how bad the injuries have been and the impact these have had on our season. 

Yes, other teams have had it bad. Namely Villa and Man U. But I’d argue they clearly have stronger squads than us and were further ahead on that side of things. 

We regularly have benches full of kids, older players who were past it years ago and the odd player starting that is barely a top ten ability regular. Then said players getting burnt out, due to no genuine options to rotate with. 

I think people are probably fed up of the injuries ‘excuse.’ Annoyed at some of the perceived mistakes Howe keeps making and the seeming inability to adapt. But it is by far and away the biggest reason. 

Yes the football and namely the defending as a whole has been criminal. But we’re still in with a chance of top 7, possibly top 6 and we have some important players coming back. 

Set the bar almost too high last season. Not sure this was ever a top 4 squad. Just like I’m sure this current NUFC squad, when most of the players are available. Is far better than they are showing. 

16 minutes ago, RS said:

You think a squad with Trippier, Botman, Bruno, Isak, Gordon isn't anywhere near top-10? Looking at the table that would put us somewhere in the Palace/Bournemouth area? Or lower?

Edited by Keegans Export

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

You think a squad with Trippier, Botman, Bruno, Isak, Gordon isn't anywhere near top-10? Looking at the table that would put us somewhere in the Palace/Bournemouth area?

Botman has missed loads of the season. Then looked miles off it and not fully fit since returning. 

Isak has been in and out the team injured and barely able to break into a sprint all season. 

Isn’t the point that too many of our top players and at least rotational options. Haven’t been available enough? 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Botman has missed loads of the season. Then looked miles off it and not fully fit since returning. 

Isak has been in and out the team injured and barely able to break into a sprint all season. 

Isn’t the point that too many of our top players and at least rotational options. Haven’t been available enough? 

Right, I misunderstood. The post suggested that our squad minus Pope, Joe and Wilson is nowhere near top-10. Well I say "suggested", that's literally what it said [emoji38] but yeah, I agree with the updated version above. 

Edited by Keegans Export

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Right, I misunderstood. Your post suggested that our squad minus Pope, Joe and Wilson is nowhere near top-10. Well I say "suggested", that's literally what it said [emoji38] but yeah, I agree with the updated version above. 

It wasn’t my post. I read it more as the injuries have just fucked us this season. 

I don’t put it all down to Pope, Joe and Wilson either, TBF :lol: 

44 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed - when we had dubs in 21-22 season we finished 11th and that seems about right to me. I can’t see how you can finish higher with dubs playing personally .

I'm sure our form was 5-6th best in the league with Dubravka in goal that season. Barely let more than a goal a game in, other than against the elite sides.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm sure our form was 5-6th best in the league with Dubravka in goal that season. Barely let more than a goal a game in, other than against the elite sides.

For half a season only but yeah I get your point. My point is after being spoiled by Pope - my god he’s awful. Plus we were playing BDB in the middle- it may be the combination of both 

54 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

You think a squad with Trippier, Botman, Bruno, Isak, Gordon isn't anywhere near top-10? Looking at the table that would put us somewhere in the Palace/Bournemouth area? Or lower?

Isak has been crocked all season. That leaves 4 players. 1 short for a five a side team. 

I dunno how you can look at our injury list and not say it's almost exclusively the reason for our poor showing this season.

Man City's win rate goes from 75% to 50% when Rodri is out injured - that's 1 single player out, in one of the most expensively assembled squads in Prem history, who are managed by one of the greatest managers of all time. Pep's career win % is about 74%. A win % of 50% puts him on Pochettino's level. 

I don't know what more context is needed other than to say inspite of that we're still 8th, practically a couple wins away from 6th. 

There's no doubt there's been some mistakes made by Howe this season but if anything, he deserves credit for still keeping us within touching distance. 

Edited by Thumbheed

40 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dubs wasn't even playing until Howes 2nd game.

Jose Mourinho time?

Would have somethings Eddie is missing...the ability to attract top players this summer and a wealth of trophies behind him.

Its a question only ..needing a considered reply not an angry response please.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

I dunno how you can look at our injury list and not say its almost exclusively the reason for our poor showing this season.

Man City's win rate goes from 75% to 50% when Rodri is out injured - that's 1 single player out in one of the most expensively assembled squad in Prem history who are managed by one if the greatest managers of all time.

I don't know what more context is needed other than to say inspite of that we're still 8th, practically a couple wins away from 6th. 

There's no doubt there's been some mistakes made by Howe this season but if anything, he deserves credit for still keeping us within touching distance. 

Yep, and we've been forced to rely on a 17-year-old (as good as he's looked) to start almost every game for the last 3 months in our midfield.

Howe gets the whole of next season at a bare minimum for me, regardless of what happens for the rest of this season.

That's not to say he's without criticism. The main disappointment for me is his lack of rotation at the start of the season, knowing the increase in fixtures that would be coming up with the CL. I feel that contributed to the injury crisis, somewhat.

But other than that he's done a fucking incredible job which has led to some of my fondest ever memories supporting this club. We thumped PSG 4-1 this season FFS. The way he's improved players and had us playing at times has been superb. He's in that tier below Pep and Klopp for me, and has potential to become as good as they are given time. I'm sure he's learned some valuable lessons from this year and the only way I'd start to think we should move on would be if he's seemingly not learned from them by next season (which I doubt).

1 minute ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Jose Mourinho time?

Would have somethings Eddie is missing...the ability to attract top players this summer and a wealth of trophies behind him.

We should dig up Brian Clough. :lol:

1 hour ago, RS said:

Wolves will likely go above us today and you think we’re over-performing because 32 year old Callum Wilson in injured as per? Have a word. 

7 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Jose Mourinho time?

Definitely not. Anti-football cheque book manager who gets his teams blowing their load for a season or two, then does off when the money runs out and leaves the club with a bunch of has-beens with no resale value.

Also, he's an arse hole who doesn't think twice about throwing players and owners under the bus, moans relentlessly in the press, and all while buttering up to the fans to avoid as much scrutiny as possible. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

We could just stick with Eddie Howe, a fantastic manager going through a rough patch.... which virtually everyone with a brain new was coming.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Definitely not. Anti-football cheque book manager who gets his teams blowing their load for a season or two, then does off when the money runs out and he leaves the club with a bunch of has-beens with no resale value.

And we have enough of them as it is!

9 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Jose Mourinho time?

Been discussed plenty on here, but that soap opera would be an absolute disaster here. For many reasons.

There's a certain irony that we got spanked off Arsenal yesterday, by a manager who had two midtable finishes before finding some rhythm after weeding out the players he didn't want and building something over time. 

The only difference is that Arteta put an FA Cup on the board early doors but Howe has at least got us in the CL and a cup final.

Why don't people learn? Don't be reactionary. Be calm. Be patient. We will back and we will be better.

Edited by STM