Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Roberto Mancini was a superb centre forward - top rank

Antonio Conte was one of Europe’s finest midfielders in his pomp

Luis Enrique was excellent for Real and Barcelona as a player

In his prime, Laurent Blanc was one of the world’s best centre backs

All good shouts. Funny I remember Enrique, Blanc and Conte.  Always thought Conte was an Ambrosini type.  Typical Italian CM, hard working and technically sound but not masses of ability. The type you put real quality around. Spends their whole career in Italy. I pegged Marchisio and DeRossi in that bracket. Having never seen him much I assumed Tonali was that type too.  

31 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Cruyff revolutionized the game both as a player and manager. I guess 30 years ago is not exactly recent years anymore. This age thing. Fucking hell.

Well aye but that was yonks ago. 

Simone Inzaghi did win a Serie A as a player and he’ll win Serie A as a manager. but as a player he wasn’t half the player Pippo was.  They don’t make strikers like Pippo anymore. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Simone Inzaghi did win a Serie A as a player and he’ll win Serie A as a manager. but as a player he wasn’t half the player Pippo was.  They don’t make strikers like Pippo anymore. 

Hey now, sir. 30 years is nothing on a cosmological scale. Kyuss was still around and Alice in chains were at their peak. Jesus, that went by quickly.

And as far as Inzaghi, you mean strikers who don't run but perpetually fall? An anti-footballer for certain, but absolutely brilliant at what he did. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone play the offside trap better than he did.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

27 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Controversial football opinion klaxon … I never thought either Inzaghi brother was top-notch (though Pippo was definitely the better of the two).  Always thought Pippo was the Andy Cole of Italian football - needed a lot of chances to put one away, but in fairness also very good at getting into those positions in the first place 

37 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

All good shouts. Funny I remember Enrique, Blanc and Conte.  Always thought Conte was an Ambrosini type.  Typical Italian CM, hard working and technically sound but not masses of ability. The type you put real quality around. Spends their whole career in Italy. I pegged Marchisio and DeRossi in that bracket. Having never seen him much I assumed Tonali was that type too.  

Conte and Tonali absolutely are similar to me as players 

edit: Conte was excellent at what he did, mind

Edited by TheBrownBottle

45 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

You must have been a special player, dude.

The solution to our ongoing midfield crisis, potensially?

Edited by Erikse

3 minutes ago, Erikse said:

A couple of years ago perhaps he could.

27 minutes ago, Erikse said:

19 minutes ago, McDog said:

A couple of years ago perhaps he could.

I was a right back tbf lads - we’re well stocked in there at the moment.  

6 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Cruyff revolutionized the game both as a player and manager. I guess 30 years ago is not exactly recent years anymore. This age thing. Fucking hell.

Did he revolutionize the game or was he just following Rinus Michels' tactics? 

26 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Did he revolutionize the game or was he just following Rinus Michels' tactics? 

Michels and Cruyff sort of co-developed Total Football from everything I’ve read - though Cruyff never seemed given to modesty!

Watched the presser again today. Watched almost all of them since Eddie joined. Watched zero before him.

Such a class act. I have huge loyalty to him. Hope he is here forever