Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

45 minutes ago, madras said:

Pep started off with closer to what you'd class as his strongest XI than we did, then brought on Nunes, Foden and Doku.

Fwiw Trippier stayed on  the bench and Schar was on for about 2 mins

As in 2 of the players that played in the CL final - Akanji & Ake.

A team that included Oscar Bobb, Ortega, KALVIN PHILLIPS, Sergio Gomez, Mateo Kovacic.

Like I said - his key men. Ederson, Dias, Rodri, Haaland - not a single minute despite losing. Pep Guardiola didn't want to run his star men into the ground so they sat it out completely.

What is/was the plan to rest Bruno? Almiron? Trippier? Schar? Gordon? He's ran them into the ground. He has to take some responsibility for that.

Milan (H), old boy bursts past Bruno before the winner in the 85th minute. On the weekend, Elanga runs straight past him to setup the second. MGW runs straight past him to head wide at 46 minutes - the lad is knackered and hasn't had a rest in months. Howe is responsible for that.

We've had injuries at CM - serious ones. But I've always thought we needed 2 CMs in that position in the summer. We didn't do it. Likewise we are a quality player light on the wings.

Edited by The College Dropout

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Sorry, who is ‘you lot’?  From Froggy’s post:

’My thoughts:

Are you in poor form? Yes.

Is fatigue/injuries to blame? Yes.

Should Howe also take blame? Yes.

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist.’

That’s pretty much every post on here which has been critical of some aspects of Howe’s management. 

I was half joking about "you lot", also I take your point about hardly anyone is asking for him to be sacked.

It's the stuff above that gets me riled up.

Pressing the red button at the first signs of problems.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

As in 2 of the players that played in the CL final - Akanji & Ake.

A team that included Oscar Bobb, Ortega, KALVIN PHILLIPS, Sergio Gomez, Mateo Kovacic.

Like I said - his key men. Ederson, Dias, Rodri, Haaland - not a single minute despite losing. Pep Guardiola didn't want to run his star men into the ground so they sat it out completely.

What is/was the plan to rest Bruno? Almiron? Trippier? Schar? Gordon? He's ran them into the ground. He has to take some responsibility for that.

Milan (H), old boy bursts past Bruno before the winner in the 85th minute. On the weekend, Elanga runs straight past him to setup the second. MGW runs straight past him to head wide at 46 minutes - the lad is knackered and hasn't had a rest in months. Howe is responsible for that.

We've had injuries at CM - serious ones. But I've always thought we needed 2 CMs in that position in the summer. We didn't do it. Likewise we are a quality player light on the wings.

The plan was probably Tonali, Murphy, Barnes, Lascalles etc to help rotate rather than  be out injured for months or suspended. 

Injuries to Burn, Barnes,Murphy, Anderson, Pope, Willock weren't down to too many minutes. Man City through years of unfettered spending on the first team and academy are possibly the only team that could get through what we have comfortably..... and even they are currently struggling by their own standards.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

And he didn’t score nor look like scoring. 1-0 down he didn’t even give Haaland 10 minutes to overturn the result. He prioritised Haaland’s long term sharpness and fitness of a LC R3 tie even if that meant losing. 

Despite a congested fixture list and an injury crisis - Howe has not prioritised player fitness and sharpness over the immediate game. 

This is where I can admit to results bias. Had we beaten any of Bournemouth, Everton, Spurs or Chelsea his decisions would be vindicated. As such we’ve lost and played badly - almost progressively badly - and his decisions are rightfully being critiqued.  

Pep was happy to lose that tie as the club world cup clashed with the QF round anyway for them. Haaland would have came on if it was a competition they could have actually won. 

20 minutes ago, STM said:

I was half joking about "you lot", also I take your point about hardly anyone is asking for him to be sacked.

Idiots like that are just looking for people to interact with the their tweets/shit YouTube channel.

21 minutes ago, STM said:

Ah yes Lee and his ' supa fan ' crew . Give them pelters in the comments . Let them know 

26 minutes ago, STM said:

People afraid to boo? Guaranteed that guy thinks we’ve all gone too soft, should have national service, should allow parents to hit their kids, the world’s gone woke. 

What the fuck is the point in booing a bunch of players and manager who love the club and have produced amazingly for two years. Honestly, if people can’t support their club when things aren’t going well then what’s the point of being a fan. I’m not saying don’t criticise the players or manager, but do it constructively like Sanjay on Twitter. Actually build an argument rather than just saying we should be booing them off the pitch or calling for Howe’s head.

Its the worst thing about football aside from the greed in the game, idiot fans 

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Pep was happy to lose that tie as the club world cup clashed with the QF round anyway for them. Haaland would have came on if it was a competition they could have actually won. 

You don't think they could have won the league cup?

Or he prioritised the fitness and sharpness of his team in the medium/long-term over the 1 game?

Howe said: "It's in-built in me, I think every game is a must-win, and the term is probably overused in football.

"But it's the only way that we prepare. We prepare to win every game, we never have anything else in our minds and we will prepare to win this one."

6 minutes ago, madras said:

The plan was probably Tonali, Murphy, Barnes, Lascalles etc to help rotate rather than  be out injured for months or suspended. 

Injuries to Burn, Barnes,Murphy, Anderson, Pope, Willock weren't down to too many minutes. Man City through years of unfettered spending on the first team and academy are possibly the only team that could get through what we have comfortably..... and even they are currently struggling by their own standards.

So when Tonali, Murphy & Barnes got injured - long-term injuries btw - the best course of action was to run the fit players into the ground?

You can't rule fatigue out as a contributory factor when you play a lot of minutes unless it's a high-impact injury. You could also argue at least one of these players came back too early and played too much.

With injuries and fatigue. Howe needed to be more flexible in his approach both tactical and in terms of personnel.

I'm not saying it's all his fault. But he could have taken a more long-term approach to keeping players fit and sharp.

But ok - Bruno has played 93% of available minutes + Brazilian internationals and there is nothing Howe could have done to help keep him fresh and sharp. It's just unfortunate. Onwards and upwards.

I don’t want to see him sacked, but this is the worst situation we’ve experienced since the Cambridge cup loss. Our away form all season has been wretched and dire performances are now compounding the negative results.

On a basic level, I’m concerned we’ve been found out. It feels like if we concede, we have no answer. When we play, we can’t adapt. This obviously stems in large part to our injury list, but teams seem to find it incredibly easy to play against us now. We look so vulnerable on every attack.

I also think that in the last couple months, mentally we’re just not there. We’ve made some catastrophic human errors in a game that have led directly to a goal. 

I don’t really know what the answer is but I’m extremely concerned. I don’t think we get a single point in the league in January and I also have little faith the team will actually put in a display that gets us a win at Sunderland.

If we lose the derby, there will be an avalanche of negativity. I wonder if the ownership are aware of how bad it will be if we lose that game.

Ultimately, it all hinges on results. If we continue to spiral down into the bottom-half, the owners will act, especially if we have a fuller squad available.

I know people are sick of the F word but it's definitely a huge factor to how we've been playing, also the quick turn around between games means we've not been able to work on the training ground so not been able to practice new passages of play and are trying to change things on the fly. 

Now the fixture list has calmed down and players can get rest/actually train, I think we'll see the shoots of improvement in January and go on a run of form in February onward. Hopefully, that will be enough time to mount a charge on a respectable finishing position and a European spot.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It seems the booing comment was a Forest fan who's now been binned.

Remember the good old days when trolling used to have a humour element to it?

It’s extremely odd and sad behaviour. Being a good troll requires a lot of skill and it’s always reliant on comedy being part of the act

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Or he prioritised the fitness and sharpness of his team in the medium/long-term over the 1 game?

Howe said: "It's in-built in me, I think every game is a must-win, and the term is probably overused in football.

"But it's the only way that we prepare. We prepare to win every game, we never have anything else in our minds and we will prepare to win this one."

So when Tonali, Murphy & Barnes got injured - long-term injuries btw - the best course of action was to run the fit players into the ground?

You can't rule fatigue out as a contributory factor when you play a lot of minutes unless it's a high-impact injury. You could also argue at least one of these players came back too early and played too much.

With injuries and fatigue. Howe needed to be more flexible in his approach both tactical and in terms of personnel.

I'm not saying it's all his fault. But he could have taken a more long-term approach to keeping players fit and sharp.

But ok - Bruno has played 93% of available minutes + Brazilian internationals and there is nothing Howe could have done to help keep him fresh and sharp. It's just unfortunate. Onwards and upwards.

The QF round fell on the same day they were on the other side of the world. They would have had to have either forfeit it or send out an academy side. They were never going to take the competition seriously because of that. 

4 minutes ago, OverThere said:

We need a real DM in January. I wonder how that would fit into the current 4-3-3 though? It's takes a really top player to protect the D and play-make in a 4-3-3

If we sign a DM it’ll be with a view to start with or switch to a 4-2-3-1 when deemed necessary with Bruno as one half of a double pivot, we won’t play Bruno further forward anymore. Bruno needs to play as a 6 in whatever formation we use.

1 hour ago, STM said:

“atmosphere was wank”

”people need to boo more”

Couldn’t make this shit up.

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Liverpool are going to tear us apart on New Years Day. We’ll be overrun.

No, in typical NUFC fashion we'll put in a backs to the wall performance but they will score their customary injury time winner against us.

This season was always going to be a learning curve for Howe. It's proving to be a very steep one so far.

I think this is why Emery was 1st choice, as he had experience of leading his teams in European campaigns, and winning in them. But after someone at the club leaked the news and that fell through, we opted for a manager who has it all to learn in that regard. It would seem pretty short sighted to not allow him the opportunity to learn from the experience and his own mistakes, and look to improve the next season.

Of course, all that assumes we qualify for Europe for next season. I think that may be the minimum finish deemed acceptable by the board.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Bruno is the one we can't replace and in that instance he didn't start, nor in the Man Utd cup game (some were even saying it was good management to give him 20-30mins in that game to keep him ticking over)......got to wonder why Haaland was even on the bench eh ?

I think Eddie has tried, we DID rotate when we could, he HAS tried to cut minutes but the injuries have become overwhelming.

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

People afraid to boo? Guaranteed that guy thinks we’ve all gone too soft, should have national service, should allow parents to hit their kids, the world’s gone woke. 

What the fuck is the point in booing a bunch of players and manager who love the club and have produced amazingly for two years. Honestly, if people can’t support their club when things aren’t going well then what’s the point of being a fan. I’m not saying don’t criticise the players or manager, but do it constructively like Sanjay on Twitter. Actually build an argument rather than just saying we should be booing them off the pitch or calling for Howe’s head.

Its the worst thing about football aside from the greed in the game, idiot fans 

He's not really like that, but not unlike a lot of other fan channel members, he talks bollocks.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

If we sign a DM it’ll be with a view to start with or switch to a 4-2-3-1 when deemed necessary with Bruno as one half of a double pivot, we won’t play Bruno further forward anymore. Bruno needs to play as a 6 in whatever formation we use.

I still think that was the plan with Tonali.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Bruno is the one we can't replace and in that instance he didn't start, nor in the Man Utd cup game (some were even saying it was good management to give him 20-30mins in that game to keep him ticking over)......got to wonder why Haaland was even on the bench eh ?

I think Eddie has tried, we DID rotate when we could, he HAS tried to cut minutes but the injuries have become overwhelming.

I'm old enough to remember when he made changes against Liverpool and it was......why the fuck did he take X off, he shouldn't have changed the team etc. etc.