Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed.  Fantastic results to the start the season. Performances have not been there but I trust that they will come. 

HTL.  

When was the last time we had 7 points from our first 3? Must be a very long time.

21 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Wasn’t he winless in like the first five or so too? I don’t remember the specifics I just remember some on here (the usual suspects) being real vocal about how shit of a start it was. 

Can't dismiss the fact he inherited an utter shambles too. Under Bruce we were a unorganised, unmotivated pushover of a team and soft as puppy shit. To flip it around as quickly as he did was/is and get stats like that is phenomenal

4 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

We haven't even clicked yet either :indi:

Pretty much the same squad, so why isn't it clicking? More like it clicked out, and needs clicking in again. Would love to know why though. Not really obvious, hence all the rumours and media stirring. 

Fingers crossed now the window is closed he can concentrate on managing Trippier and Gordon. Both need him right now, and hopefully he can get them back to their best. 

This was the video I was thinking about, it detailed how we set up to defend as a team and looked to win the ball in the final third.

Hopefully we can get back to this level of performances with no Europe but they do seem a distant memory.

We're always missing a key part or 2, last season key parts that were missing were different to the ones missing now. 

Last season we could still play out because Schar was always there, it made us harder the pin back like teams have done so far this season. Weirdly, even Dubravka helped with that, teams now have 3 triggers all in the same area of the pitch to act on.

Schar being back will help, but teams will still press Pope and Burn, while trying to block to route to Schar when they have the ball. A GK that can clip  a 30 yard pass to full backs would stop this, or Botman being back so Pope has 2 CBs that can split and Bruno drop in deep giving him 3 easy passes. That's what made us so good in the champions league form. That's before talking about the range of passing from Botman and Schar when the route into the midfield is blocked. 

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

This was the video I was thinking about, it detailed how we set up to defend as a team and looked to win the ball in the final third.

Hopefully we can get back to this level of performances with no Europe but they do seem a distant memory.

Absolutely, it seems like we are sitting deep rather than pressing high so far this season. Feels like our identity of intense high press died out with the injuries last season, and we have never really managed to pull it off again in the same manner. I also recall there being less high press at the start of last season, but that was probably to preserve a little bit of energy before the european campaign. Was expecting more of it this season without Europe.

Edited by Erikse

It might be rope a dope… conserve energy now and lull into a false sense of security and then when everyone is free into euro campaigns we go back to intense pressing and blow teams away 

4 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

It might be rope a dope… conserve energy now and lull into a false sense of security and then when everyone is free into euro campaigns we go back to intense pressing and blow teams away 

It's not a tactical thing, one thing about Eddie, if we haven't played well, he's generally honest about it. But if we get the results, he's going to rightly tell everyone exactly how and why we achieved it, and the qualities which got us there.

13 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Absolutely, it seems like we are sitting deep rather than pressing high so far this season. Feels like our identity of intense high press died out with the injuries last season, and we have never really managed to pull it off again in the same manner. I also recall there being less high press at the start of last season, but that was probably to preserve a little bit of energy before the european campaign. Was expecting more of it this season without Europe.

But you don’t think missing our best pressing defenders is a factor? 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's not a tactical thing, one thing about Eddie, if we haven't played well, he's generally honest about it. But if we get the results, he's going to rightly tell everyone exactly how and why we achieved it, and the qualities which got us there.

Agreed - he’s an excellent manager but I doubt he’s sending them out to play poorly as a masterplan

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But you don’t think missing our best pressing defenders is a factor? 

Maybe, I'm just observing that we haven't been able to pull it off, and I mentioned the injuries aswell. Last season we were probably missing Pope. Now he is here. Schar will be back next game.

Edited by Erikse

Eddie looks tired and a bit 'off' lately, hope it's nothing to do with any board infighting or anything that's upsetting the apple-cart behind the scenes. Hopefully the Saudis will stamp out any power struggles quick sharp and remind people to get back to their jobs.

Tino’ s defending is largely a joy to watch.

Think we’re missing Trips playmaking though.

In time I hope Hall will provide that but he’s got some learning to do.

Wonder if we will try Trippier left back at some point. I don’t think he’s as good there but still more than capable of playing of doing a good job there

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

When was the last time we had 7 points from our first 3? Must be a very long time.

Believe I saw a star earlier which said either 11/12 or 12/13

16 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Wonder if we will try Trippier left back at some point. I don’t think he’s as good there but still more than capable of playing of doing a good job there

No point, just isn't the same on the ball on the left as we all witnessed in the Euros. Moving Tino makes more sense if you absolutely need to start them both.

10 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah I said it in another thread after asking here and checking.

That makes two of us :) - I had a check on NUFC after the game and put it in the match thread shortly after the game finished.  We're normally such slow starters that I was curious!

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

That's incredible. If it weren't for the catastrophic injury crisis last season, we'd be a few points above Spurs I reckon.

Edited by Turnbull2000