Transfer rumours

Yorkie

January btw is gonna be like Xmas was like as a bairn, I’m excited already. I’m confident we’ll do some good business and sign enough players to help us as much as can be to try and stay up. I’m excited by the kind or type of player Howe wants too, no more fucking Haydens, Hendricks and other players absolutely useless with a ball at their feet.

By the way if we do say sign Dembele, for me that would be the new owners flexing their muscle and showing future intent even if they privately know it’s a risky deal and will likely be a huge waste of money. If so, and that’s the risk they are prepared to take, it’s a positive sign for me that they will be throwing big money at the club to get us to become an elite level club. I’d rather we invested whatever he would cost in other areas, however. But I’m along for the ride all the same!

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

By the way if we do say sign Dembele, for me that would be the new owners flexing their muscle and showing future intent even if they privately know it’s a risky deal and will likely be a huge waste of money. If so, and that’s the risk they are prepared to take, it’s a positive sign for me that they will be throwing big money at the club to get us to become an elite level club. I’d rather we invested whatever he would cost in other areas, however. But I’m along for the ride all the same!

pif Dembele is their cherry then fair enough. The icing and sponge is going to be canny enough. 

Just now, TRon said:

Absolutely agree with that last sentence re potential recruits need to want to be here AND can hit the ground running. 

Buying from abroad always carries a risk of them not settling, but then I’ve also seen many domestic based players who just haven’t settled into a new club either for whatever reason.

We need to be signing players high on confidence, we need that lift.

Dumb question maybe... Here in the states, the NFL has GM's and coaches. The GM is responsible for bringing in players and the coach to coach the players. If NUFC don't have a DOF (who I'd assume would normally work with the manager), does the wishlist of players in/out fall to Howe then?

16 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Dembele's problems seem to be alot more with motivation, attitude and injuries than ability. He's definitely a quality player when he's on form.

Agent is reportedly asking for daft money, trying to get him 40m contract a year. He's axctining but could turn into a really expensive flop for whoever gets him. 

That's the short of it. He has lots of ability but lacks professionalism (the stories of him being late to training have become a meme, and even his teammates openly joke about it) and he's made of glass. He's also not the smartest player on the pitch but his talent can sometimes bail him out, unlike others. The story with him over the years is that he'll put a promising string of games and then break down. Personally I'd like him to stay, it's not like we're flush with talent at the moment, but not at the money quoted.

The story around here is that you're only club that will meet his agent's demands (€20m net wages and 20m sign on fee) but Dembelé doesn't want to sign for a team battling relegation.

Edited by Village Idiot

Shelvey

Ramsey                   Joelinton

As a midfield 3 (under Howe) is light years from what we will have been used to.

Shelvey= Quarter back

Joelinton= Box to box ball winner/carrier

Ramsey= Creative attacking midfielder

I know we would all like more in centre midfield but for the next 6 months, this looks fairly tasty to me.

4 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

The story around here is that you're only club that will meet his agent's demands (€20m net wages and 20m sign on fee) but Dembelé doesn't want to sign for a team battling relegation.

Can quite imagine. Also exactly what we need to avoid in this window as they have to buy into the vision long term.

25 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Buying from abroad always carries a risk of them not settling, but then I’ve also seen many domestic based players who just haven’t settled into a new club either for whatever reason.

We need to be signing players high on confidence, we need that lift.

I was thinking more about players with spotty fitness records wrt hit the ground running tbh. We don't have much option other than shopping abroad with PL clubs reluctant to do business, but if the quality is there, then I think they will succeed regardless of experience over here. Ramsey would be a no brainer if he's over those fitness concerns. 

Just now, HTT II said:

I’m hoping we can get enough quality in to not start Shelvey like..

Seems an incredibly hard person to replace IMO. It's not that I rate him especially highly but his role right now is crucial. I think we all know Shelvey isn't the long term answer but it's hard to see the value in risking replacing him before other positions.

It's more likely that we bring in a midfielder on loan to support a number of midfield positions.