Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Loved listening to Amber-Keegan Stobbs on PotT. Her story about becoming Newcastle mad after visiting grandparents and uncles/aunties in the North-East reflected my own situation really closely. 

I haven't seen much of the footy if I'm honest but quite enjoying getting to know some of the players. 

Are they gonna annihilate the Championship as well or is there a bit of a jump in quality between tiers 2 and 3?

I haven't watched any Championship but although we ended up on the wrong end of 5-0 at Manchester United I didn't feel there was a massive gulf in quality between the teams. They were undeniably quicker and fitter, and in retrospect we maybe showed a little bit too much respect but most of the five goals came from being stretched into chasing the game - in terms of footballing ability you wouldn't have said there were two leagues between the sides (possibly a consequence of how small the leagues are in the women's game).

As somebody said over the page, it's a great time to support the lasses, you can feel the women's game starting to take off now.

Edited by OpenC

Proper feel like a bit of a bandwagon jumper but me and me mate taking our girls down for the weekend. Got tickets in MSD, they are ridiculously excited. Couldn't not embrace that and enjoy the ride after they enjoyed the semi final last week so much. 

47 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Proper feel like a bit of a bandwagon jumper but me and me mate taking our girls down for the weekend. Got tickets in MSD, they are ridiculously excited. Couldn't not embrace that and enjoy the ride after they enjoyed the semi final last week so much. 

Could do with 50,000 more bandwagon jumpers :) tell a friend

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Could do with 50,000 more bandwagon jumpers :) tell a friend

I have mate, believe me. Been telling everyone how good an experience it was especially for the kids.

I feel like they're doing a great job of attracting the next generation like :thup: I know at least one lifelong glory hunting Liverpool fan who took his 10 year old daughter; daughter is now wanting to go to Kingston Park to cheer Newcastle on against Liverpool Feds later this month :)

Edited by OpenC

Haven’t seen anything. Our bit selling pretty briskly though, more sections open. Hashtag look to have done a couple of hundred if that so far.

On 01/03/2024 at 23:20, Yorkie said:

Loved listening to Amber-Keegan Stobbs on PotT. Her story about becoming Newcastle mad after visiting grandparents and uncles/aunties in the North-East reflected my own situation really closely. 

I haven't seen much of the footy if I'm honest but quite enjoying getting to know some of the players. 

Are they gonna annihilate the Championship as well or is there a bit of a jump in quality between tiers 2 and 3?

It's a really big step up. A lot of teams in that league are already pro or semi-pro do we won't have that advantage anymore.

I think we will probably try to establish ourselves for a couple of seasons in that league, and then push on to the WSL. 

We need to go down the route Man U did and try to attract a few WSL players maybe coming towards the end of their career, as well as trying to poach more local talent from Durham/Sunderland who have both been in that league for a while.

If Sunderland do go up this year, there will likely be a few players who won't be good enough for the WSL that we could encourage to come to us!!

On 02/03/2024 at 12:30, Optimistic Nut said:

Hashtag Utd man. Urgh. Just had to look up where they're from. I hate the YouTube, social media guff man. :lol:

Again, they're a really well run club, who bring a lot of eyes to non-league, and generally do a lot of good. Yes their name is a bit cringe but I don't see why that should be held against them.

Have we not already done the poaching talent from Sunderland and Durham? Or did we just sign lasses that weren't getting a game? I would hope they'll be looking to pick up WSLers who are out of contention at their teams as suggested.

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Olivia Watt back in today :thup: still looks a plenty attacking lineup

No Emma Kelly though, injured?

Elysia Boddy back on the bench too, love to see it

I don't think Stoke have a stream, and it will feel quite weird not being able to match the match if not. Looking at past fixtures, I'll have seen 10 of the last 11 games stretching back to November, Fylde away in the cup being the exception. 8 of those 11 have been at home, and there were streams for both Man Utd and Burnley away.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Have we not already done the poaching talent from Sunderland and Durham? Or did we just sign lasses that weren't getting a game? I would hope they'll be looking to pick up WSLers who are out of contention at their teams as suggested.

A lot of our player have played for Sunderland. I agree that WSL players should / and probably will, given the last two season's recruitment, be our aim. However, players like KB made their debut for Sunderland (admittably young and in the WSL) and, I guess, we wouldn't turn our nose up at that type of player, with potential.

As for the level in the Championship, it's pretty high for the top few - which has to be our aim. There will always be teams that have just come down from the WSL (and teams that want to get back there). Years ago, I coached teams and all you had to do was train more. That's long gone. Even girls of 8/9 are training with Manchester United and Manchester City etc. They have game skills / game awareness as well as physical skill. This, growing, 'game awareness' will be our next step up.

Edited by Cclay

That's the other context to the extra challenge of the championship I guess, they appear to be generally way too good for the league they're in so hopefully that's a great starting point.

Edited by OpenC

2 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

Nice score to wake up to. Burnley and Forest both being held at half time

Beautiful. 

Feel spoilt with the recent YouTube streams for our game. None today :weep:

Good stuff. On paper, this was probably the 2nd hardest of the remaining 7 games, and seems like it will be passed with flying colours.

I'll definitely be tuning into Newcastle Fans TV for the vlog when it drops, which is usually around 11pm.