Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

If 2 years ago someone said I'd be spending a Sunday afternoon refreshing twitter to keep up to date with a women's football match I'd have said they were mad, but I'm loving every step of the journey.

Howay the lasses

Just now, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

If 2 years ago someone said I'd be spending a Sunday afternoon refreshing twitter to keep up to date with a women's football match I'd have said they were mad, but I'm loving every step of the journey.

Howay the lasses

You're not alone there

12 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

Howay the lasses

Yeah, it's mad. At the start of the takeover I was completely neutral, and admittedly might have even questioned why some 'randomers' were suddenly involved in kit launches and stuff, but now I stream pretty much every match that's available, follow the scores when they are not, always watch the NFTV YT vlog on Sunday evening, and any content the NUFC YT channel puts out, like that mixed 'who am I' one the other day.

It's obviously not hard to get on board and back a successful team that are clearly going places, but they do seem like a really likable bunch on the whole with some big characters, and it's great to follow their journey from the 4th tier to wherever it does end up.

Burnley drew 1-1, so that's them realistically out of contention. 10 points from the final 5 games would mathematically seal the title, 9 could/should be enough unless Forest get some huge wins, and then whatever Forest drop after that in their remaining 7 matches, Newcastle could simultaneously afford to drop.

We went to the Alnwick match and have only missed 4 home games since and loved every moment. Only been to the Burnley away game but thee lasses have become a real family  do. I've 3 daughters, adults, and their families are starting to come to the games with us. It is a real family feel to supporting them and has been unbelievable progress. 6 of the starting line up were promoted last season and the job Becky has done at 28 years old is phenomenal. I'm sure there will be further changes this summer but the fact the original lasses have upped their game year on year shows what the coaching and development is like.

I think a massively important thing is how we have/are growing the women's team. While undoubtably we've got the financial clout the other teams in the league can only dream of, we have put that money towards giving local talent the opportunity to step up by giving them professional contracts. It really feels like the club are investing in the talent already available, from Becky Langlely down. It really helps grow that connection between fans and the team. The social media posts too are really on point and make it clear that (most of) the lasses are Geordies living out their dream by playing in the black and white... I mean we've even got a player called Keegan! 

The development team absolutely destroying their league, I hope, emphasises the point. I'd love to see us become a real force in women's football, driven by developing local talent. 

21 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

We went to the Alnwick match and have only missed 4 home games since and loved every moment. Only been to the Burnley away game but thee lasses have become a real family  do. I've 3 daughters, adults, and their families are starting to come to the games with us. It is a real family feel to supporting them and has been unbelievable progress. 6 of the starting line up were promoted last season and the job Becky has done at 28 years old is phenomenal. I'm sure there will be further changes this summer but the fact the original lasses have upped their game year on year shows what the coaching and development is like.

What do you feel would be the maximum price point you’d pay before you started having second thoughts?

We currently pay £5 each on the door and I think it was £45 for a season ticket for 11 games. I have no other interests other than NUFC but currently pay for everyone from the family who goes and also for 3 season tickets for the men. If it went up to £20 a ticket for the women's I would pay for it no issue but the numbers would drop as I couldn't afford to pay for an additional 5 or 6. I think a lot of the families are like that. I think the prices may go up to £10 a game from next season. Forget the second thoughts about attending, its a race to see what comes first - Premier league or WSL. Both will happen in the next 10 years, but which one first. Enjoy the ride

5 minutes ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

We currently pay £5 each on the door and I think it was £45 for a season ticket for 11 games. I have no other interests other than NUFC but currently pay for everyone from the family who goes and also for 3 season tickets for the men. If it went up to £20 a ticket for the women's I would pay for it no issue but the numbers would drop as I couldn't afford to pay for an additional 5 or 6. I think a lot of the families are like that. I think the prices may go up to £10 a game from next season. Forget the second thoughts about attending, its a race to see what comes first - Premier league or WSL. Both will happen in the next 10 years, but which one first. Enjoy the ride

What sort of prices are being charged in the WSL?

Friend of mine paid about £35 for two tickets at the Etihad for the Manchester derby, it's not super expensive even at the top (not yet anyway)

Will be interesting when we get our 80k stadium if that will take fans away due to being offered an either or situation. Or if a totally separate fanbase will grow.

Can I just say, I've followed women's football for years, and I've seen the growth for myself, but it is so refreshing to read the views of people on here!

I know there will always be people who go for the easy/lazy criticism, but reading all of your positive comments and seeing how everyone is getting behind the team, is honestly amazing!!

I cant wait to see how the sport continues to grow, and knowing Newcastle United are now going to be a major part of that, and are going to have the backing of the fans, it's just brilliant!!

Football has always been parochial for me, it's less about admiring and pursuing pure technical brilliance than it's about the feeling of belonging to something, and getting some pride from something local. I get the exact same buzz from watching the lasses that I did when I started going to watch the men 25 years ago.  I'm a very reserved and quiet person by nature and it's only a Newcastle team that can make me shout until I'm hoarse, or be the only voice yelling support in a big crowd.

Absolutely loving it since I started going this year.

Sunderland looking likely to go up this season I guess, from the current leading position and the fixtures they've got left. Could maybe do without the derby next year and pass them going the other way at the end of next season :shifty:

Edited by OpenC

13 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Sunderland looking likely to go up this season I guess, from the current leading position and the fixtures they've got left. Could maybe do without the derby next year and pass them going the other way at the end of next season :shifty:

Palace have a game in hand at home and play Sunderland last game of the season at Palace, Looking at the fixtures I would say Palace are favourites to go up. Also according to the mackems on SMB, their ground might not be acceptable at super league level 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Will be interesting when we get our 80k stadium if that will take fans away due to being offered an either or situation. Or if a totally separate fanbase will grow.

Be banned cos it's 10 degrees south of centre

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

If they don’t go up, price it right and we could sell out SJP for that match.