Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

Janmaat did do quite a bit of this 'quarterback-role' towards the end of his time here. Where Trippier tends to stay wide and look for the overlapping run, Janmaat would drift inside with the ball and ping ping long to the far-post area quite frequently.

Probably the most similar player to Trips on the ball in terms of style, but a chasm in quality.

17 hours ago, dave s said:

a cut above any others we’ve had at right back over the years, that’s for sure. 

trying to rack my brains if any ever came close? we’ve had some shite.. stephen carr, griffin, janmatt, yedlin. 

only one that became a cult hero was ryan taylor that i can recall 🤣

I never thought Griffin was shite, mind.  He didn’t have a good time with injuries but was pretty solid when he played.

Carr was utter gash for us, though.  

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never thought Griffin was shite, mind.  He didn’t have a good time with injuries but was pretty solid when he played.

Carr was utter gash for us, though.  

Carr and Babayaro... ah.. those halcyon days...

If Babayaro had a brother to lose before every game he played, he'd have been the best left back in PL history. 

In my time following Newcastle, I'd rate our right backs (and frequent stand-ins that I can remember) something like this, without giving it very much thought admittedly:

1. Trippier. Not even close.

2. Beye

3. Debuchy

4. Barton

5. Watson

6. Janmaat

7. Manquillo

8. Krafth

9. Hughes

10. Carr

11. Solano

12. Griffin

13. Edgar

14. Ramage

14 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If Babayaro had a brother to lose before every game he played, he'd have been the best left back in PL history. 

In my time following Newcastle, I'd rate our right backs (and frequent stand-ins that I can remember) something like this, without giving it very much thought admittedly:

2. Beye

3. Debuchy

4. Barton

5. Watson

6. Janmaat

7. Manquillo

8. Krafth

9. Hughes

10. Carr

11. Solano

12. Griffin

13. Edgar

14. Ramage

we had danny simpson for a while. went on to win the league with leicester lol .. that’s like another joselu story 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Janmaat was talented. But boy was he gutless.

Proper takes me back to a couple of games where he may have scored and then we go down and he instantly turns into worst player on the pitch lol.

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

2. Beye

3. Debuchy

4. Barton

5. Watson

6. Janmaat

7. Manquillo

8. Krafth

9. Hughes

10. Carr

11. Solano

12. Griffin

13. Edgar

14. Ramage

Did Aaron Hughes buck your lass or something?

22 minutes ago, Conjo said:

2. Beye

3. Debuchy

4. Barton

5. Watson

6. Janmaat

7. Manquillo

8. Krafth

9. Hughes

10. Carr

11. Solano

12. Griffin

13. Edgar

14. Ramage

Thought Nobby made a good RB, though admittedly he probably looked better cos he was there ahead of some of those below him on your list. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

2. Beye

3. Debuchy

4. Barton

5. Watson

6. Janmaat

7. Manquillo

8. Krafth

9. Hughes

10. Carr

11. Solano

12. Griffin

13. Edgar

14. Ramage

Hughes is above

Beye Barton Manquillo and Krafth for me

Carr was fucking dross. I'd put Griffin above krafth and manquillo as well

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The Babayaro dead brother line is out of order. And so is putting Hughes below Krafth, Janmaat & Manquillo.

He played his best game ever for us the day he lost his brother to tuberculosis, against Liverpool no less. Had he played like that every game for us he'd have been considered one of the best left backs ever in the league. How is that out of order?

Hughes was a center back playing as a make shift right back for us. His best form came when he moved to Fulham and got to play in his natural position. For us he played in a better team, but no way was he better individually as a right back than those three.

Just now, Conjo said:

He played his best game ever for us the day he lost his brother to tuberculosis, against Liverpool no less. Had he played like that every game for us he'd have been considered one of the best left backs ever in the league. How is that out of order?

Just a shitty thing to say imo. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought Nobby made a good RB, though admittedly he probably looked better cos he was there ahead of some of those below him on your list. :lol:

It was a list I made very quickly without too much thought behind it. I may have pushed Solano a bit too far down as I can't remember having much negative to say about his performances, but didn't want to put him too high either just because it's Nobby fucking Solano who deserves to be top of most lists regardless of what they are about. :lol: As you said, his competition for that spot wasn't shit hot either.