Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

5 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's clearly taller than Sterling in that picture and Sterling is pretty upright whilst Trippier is slouching and angling his body.

image.thumb.png.f12375e0e17273fa8b8770ef064fef07.png

More importantly, looking like three absolute dorks here, Jesus.

This picture should never have been released.

7 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's clearly taller than Sterling in that picture and Sterling is pretty upright whilst Trippier is slouching and angling his body.

image.thumb.png.f12375e0e17273fa8b8770ef064fef07.png

VAR Check is complete.

13 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Need to draw the VAR lines to be sure 

Why do I think that Trippier looks like Wayne Rooney in this picture?[emoji38] Not that much, but a tiny bit..

image.png.18d49ca42997117af766798557d07ec9.thumb.png.bc4128ab31094be9f9dd13466df5faef.png

GettyImages-609886780-700x760.thumb.webp.d9fb37aa3115039f3cc1935b6542f6b8.webp

Edited by Erikse

5 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

@SEMTEX expert opinion on Trips height? 

My expert opinion is that this seems like a foolish conversation.

It’s obvious to me, and anyone with even the most basic knowledge of quantum theory, that there are an infinite number of Kieran Trippier’s across the multiverse, and given the astronomical number of possible states in which Kieran Trippier can exist, it is inevitable that he’s about 5’9”. 

16 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

My expert opinion is that this seems like a foolish conversation.

It’s obvious to me, and anyone with even the most basic knowledge of quantum theory, that there are an infinite number of Kieran Trippier’s across the multiverse, and given the astronomical number of possible states in which Kieran Trippier can exist, it is inevitable that he’s about 5’9”. 

I need Peter Singer’s opinion before I can let this go. My theory is Newcastle universe Trips is 5’8 and change, and I’m being generous 

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What does on-ball value advantage mean? 

in short, it's a model that looks to assign a value to each action that takes place on the football pitch based on the positive (or negative) impact the action has on the team's likelihood of scoring (and conceding)

On 27/05/2023 at 13:30, Sempiternal said:

IMG_3456.jpeg

If I was going to trust anyone to measure me, it would be that absolute fucking waster Dele Alli, supervised by fellow fucking numb nut Phil Jones.

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

If it’s incredibly accurate and the AI is a genius then that’s a useful stat but I wonder whether it just goes off hard stats like a ball loss that leads to a goal or something that leads to an assist. Sometimes a player miskicks a ball for example but it ends up working out, I doubt that gets calculated. Also, I wonder how well it accounts for players who take risks etc. I don’t get a hard on over stats in football to be honest

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If it’s incredibly accurate and the AI is a genius then that’s a useful stat but I wonder whether it just goes off hard stats like a ball loss that leads to a goal or something that leads to an assist. Sometimes a player miskicks a ball for example but it ends up working out, I doubt that gets calculated. Also, I wonder how well it accounts for players who take risks etc. I don’t get a hard on over stats in football to be honest

None of these things are perfect, but it is quite advanced and goes off way more than hard stats. It's built on xG and xGA (as opposed to just goals and conceded goals) because that introduces more variables. It also looks at:

• pitch location (x and y coordinates, distance to goal, angle to goal)
  • action context (set play, open play, etc.)
  • whether the event was carried out while pressured from an opposition player
  • body part used for the event (Head, Foot, etc.)

On risk-taking:

An appropriate consideration of the opportunity cost of attempting high-risk actions and losing the ball. High-risk, high-reward players that are often key attackers on their team will be recognised and credited in this model – so long as the effect of their actions is a net benefit to the team overall.

54 minutes ago, gbandit said:

football metrics definitely aren't for everyone and a lot of people just quote them to fit a narrative but I quite enjoy them all the same. 

I guess we have all these useful metrics like xG and xA etc. but they are exclusively measuring goalscoring and assisting. There are a lot of other actions in a game which increase/decrease the chance for your team to score which aren't measured by xG/xA (think carrying the ball to a more dangerous area, or passing the ball from a less dangerous area to a more dangerous area) and that's what all these possession value metrics (xThreat is another similar possession value metric) are trying to measure. 

The limitation is that it doesn't really tell you how good a player is. It tells you what their role is in a team more than anything. So Trippier is making much more valuable contributions than the average right back largely because we send a lot of our play through him - much more than the average team does anyway. Kevin De Bruyne is used as City's primary creator and penetrative passer so he scores highly, Brentford give the ball to Jensen to get it forward to Toney etc. They're mostly high risk, high reward players. If we used it as a measurement of ability then well... using xThreat we'd think that Ashley Westwood was one of the most threatening players in the Premier League a couple of seasons ago.

It's useful to use to identify players who can fulfil a certain role though. If you want a left back who can do a similar role to what Trippier or TAA do on the right then Borna Sosa could be that guy etc. 

Edited by Smal

34 minutes ago, Smal said:

football metrics definitely aren't for everyone and a lot of people just quote them to fit a narrative but I quite enjoy them all the same. 

I guess we have all these useful metrics like xG and xA etc. but they are exclusively measuring goalscoring and assisting. There are a lot of other actions in a game which increase/decrease the chance for your team to score which aren't measured by xG/xA (think carrying the ball to a more dangerous area, or passing the ball from a less dangerous area to a more dangerous area) and that's what all these possession value metrics (xThreat is another similar possession value metric) are trying to measure. 

The limitation is that it doesn't really tell you how good a player is. It tells you what their role is in a team more than anything. So Trippier is making much more valuable contributions than the average right back largely because we send a lot of our play through him - much more than the average team does anyway. Kevin De Bruyne is used as City's primary creator and penetrative passer so he scores highly, Brentford give the ball to Jensen to get it forward to Toney etc. They're mostly high risk, high reward players. If we used it as a measurement of ability then well... using xThreat we'd think that Ashley Westwood was one of the most threatening players in the Premier League a couple of seasons ago.

It's useful to use to identify players who can fulfil a certain role though. If you want a left back who can do a similar role to what Trippier or TAA do on the right then Borna Sosa could be that guy etc. 

Trippier has been near top of all the chances created charts, which is fair. He does create them. However I'm pretty sure he's taken the highest amount of corners out of all players, and atleast for the last few months they weren't the best. I wonder how many of those that counts towards chances created. Also, why is Pope there? Does saves count?

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Trippier has been near top of all the chances created charts, which is fair. He does create them. However I'm pretty sure he's taken the highest amount of corners out of all players, and atleast for the last few months they weren't the best. I wonder how many of those that counts towards chances created. Also, why is Pope there? Does saves count?

OBV measures actions which reduce the team's chance of conceding as well, yeah.

On set-pieces, a player is assigned a negative OBV score for a corner taken that doesn't find a team mate as it has reduced the chance of scoring and increased the chance of conceding.