Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Can't see them paying what we were quoted. Probably just his agent hawking him around again. But if they are ready to pay, then we should top it and bring him here. Use them as a benchmark for a fair price.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Can't see them paying what we were quoted. Probably just his agent hawking him around again. But if they are ready to pay, then we should top it and bring him here. Use them as a benchmark for a fair price.

This. 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Still think it’s mad we paid £25m for Chris Wood but wouldn’t pay a similar fee for this chap.

Even if he was a total flop, due to his age, we’d be likely to reclaim a majority of that fee at some point.

Howay man, one is a skinny 18 year old in France, the other is a recognised 1 in 3 PL striker. This isn't fantasy football FFS. It’s about the reality of the situation, can we afford to spunk 25m on a 1-3 PL striker, aye. Can we on an untested 18 year old, aye, but it’s about what is needed right now and although this one may be one for the future, I’m sure there are plenty more fish in the sea. Basically don’t use this as a stick to beat the signing of Wood nor its ramifications short-term. 

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Howay man, one is a skinny 18 year old in France, the other is a recognised 1 in 3 PL striker. This isn't fantasy football FFS. It’s about the reality of the situation, can we afford to spunk 25m on a 1-3 PL striker, aye. Can we on an untested 18 year old, aye, but it’s about what is needed right now and although this one may be one for the future, I’m sure there are plenty more fish in the sea. Basically don’t use this as a stick to beat the signing of Wood nor its ramifications short-term. 

A slow and clunky striker on the decline vs a promising young talent, is another way of looking at it.

Mad that anyone would think £25m for this guy is too much, he could be a literal star in the future. If you want good up-and-coming talent, you unfortunately have to pay big fees to secure them.

People keep talking about Wood being a “1 in 3 striker” but he certainly isn’t this season. He was suited to Burnley’s style of play and that’s why he scored goals.

As I’ve also said in another thread, we don’t need to pretend Chris Wood at £25m is anything other than a crap signing, simply because of the new ownership.

Even if we were relegated, we need to start building a squad of good players for the future. This guy could be one of them.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

A slow and clunky striker on the decline vs a promising young talent, is another way of looking at it.

Mad that anyone would think £25m for this guy is too much, he could be a literal star in the future. If you want good up-and-coming talent, you unfortunately have to pay big fees to secure them.

People keep talking about Wood being a “1 in 3 striker” but he certainly isn’t this season. He was suited to Burnley’s style of play and that’s why he scored goals.

As I’ve also said in another thread, we don’t need to pretend Chris Wood at £25m is anything other than a crap signing, simply because of the new ownership.

Even if we were relegated, we need to start building a squad of good players for the future. This guy could be one of them.

Our Immediate future is more important than, well, the near future, sort that out, and we have a future. Wood will prove his worth and if he helps keep us up, future signings like this French kid will be simplified. Right now, blowing 25/30m or so on an unknown 18 year old makes zero sense. He would, based on admittedly YouTube clips, struggle starting for any PL side. But hey, let’s blow the money on him rather than Wood, a recognised 1-3 experienced PL striker who since his arrival has contributed to 4 points won. I get your POV btw, but wrong time for me. And forget about the fee for Wood, it’s irrelevant. The same moaners would be furious if we signed this French kid for similar and he looked pony from the off or we paid all that only to loan him back to his previous club or played him in the under 23s. Let’s be sensible aye?

Oh and should we go down as I sadly think we will, Wood at 25m will prove a snip should he do the business in taking us back up, even more so should he do the business in keeping us up!

52 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Our Immediate future is more important than, well, the near future, sort that out, and we have a future. Wood will prove his worth and if he helps keep us up, future signings like this French kid will be simplified. Right now, blowing 25/30m or so on an unknown 18 year old makes zero sense. He would, based on admittedly YouTube clips, struggle starting for any PL side. But hey, let’s blow the money on him rather than Wood, a recognised 1-3 experienced PL striker who since his arrival has contributed to 4 points won. I get your POV btw, but wrong time for me. And forget about the fee for Wood, it’s irrelevant. The same moaners would be furious if we signed this French kid for similar and he looked pony from the off or we paid all that only to loan him back to his previous club or played him in the under 23s. Let’s be sensible aye?

Sorry. Wood has contributed to 4 points won and this guy won’t make it as a PL striker based on YouTube clips? :lol: And you’re telling me to be sensible?

Wood has been appalling in those two games, more likely to say he’s contributed to 2 points dropped (vs Watford) rather than 4 gained.

”The same moaners would be furious”… Yet I’m clearly sat here saying the signing of Wood was dreadful, the fact it was for £25m was even worse and I’d be much happier to use that money for this player. At 19 btw, I’d have no issue with him starting in Wilson’s absence, if he’s deemed good enough. He doesn’t need hoying in the U23s.

As I said, we need a squad of good players. We’re hideously under resourced, particularly upfront and £25m for Ekitike seems reasonable. Referring to him as a “skinny 18 year old” on the back of a YouTube clip is pathetic, especially as he’s 19.

We’re clearly at opposite ends of the opinion but nobody is convincing me Wood is a good signing, at any price, never mind £25m.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Oh and there is a bigger picture here, short and long-term, Wood is short-term, this French kid is neither at the moment, priorities…

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

As well as the £25m (or whatever) fee, I think the club rightly baulked at the alleged loan back and 30% future resale clauses. Straight fee, and I think we’d probably have got him in.

Their owner has publicly said:

”We want €30m (£24.9m) fixed plus €10m (£8.3m) in realisable bonuses."

“They offered us €35m (£29.1m) in total but with many bonuses, some of which were almost impossible to achieve - like, for example, winning the Champions League”

Not sure that’s unreasonable at all. Not sure where the loan back and resale clause has come from.

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Their owner has publicly said:

”We want €30m (£24.9m) fixed plus €10m (£8.3m) in realisable bonuses."

“They offered us €35m (£29.1m) in total but with many bonuses, some of which were almost impossible to achieve - like, for example, winning the Champions League”

Not sure that’s unreasonable at all. Not sure where the loan back and resale clause has come from.

Just recalled it being mentioned when we were after him at the start of the window, but fair enough if their owner has said that. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, ManDoon said:

I’d like to sign him, picking up the highly thought of young talent is the way to go. He doesn’t have to start right away, some cameos, get used to life in England 

This, a priority after staying up has to be to reduce the age of the squad.

Agree 100% with @HTT II.

We need to keep our focus on the primary objective now, which is to stay in the league.

i mean, Wood is not what anyone really wanted, but he can do a job now and was available. Not sexy, not spectacular but in some way functional.

I hope we get another striker in, but i want a more experienced goalscorer now in January. 

Edited by High Five o

Btw I’m not averse to us signing this kid, but it’s about priorities for me right now, ideally regardless of signing Wood, we’d buy this kid for the future, but it’s not as simple as that. I’d rather we allocated the money to buy this kid towards buying a top-class CB for the now or paying that bit extra for one of, as is hopefully the case, a signing like Bruno. Talent like this if genuine, can wait and I’m sure we will be in the game for future starlets going forward, I just don’t like this idea if we ‘lose’ out to say WHU as a stick to use against the 25m we paid for Wood, it’s irrelevant what he cost and has no bearing on whether we sign or do not sign this kid I’m sure. 

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Wood is about as exciting as Malcolm Allen was, back in the day.

I’d never heard of him, he was in reality shite, but he did a job and was in the end, a worthy signing at the time, in the ‘process’ we trust, or not…

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I’d never heard of him, he was in reality shite, but he did a job and was in the end, a worthy signing at the time, in the ‘process’ we trust, or not…

I'm guessing those opposed to the Wood deal still haven't heard of him.