Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Just now, Unbelievable said:

A coming together where one player plants his elbow in the other's face yeah..?

It looked like to me he went to put his arm up as he was expecting the contact, and Son crouched down to sell the ref.

Just now, 54 said:

It looked like to me he went to put his arm up as he was expecting the contact, and Son crouched down to sell the ref.

I'd have to see it again and pay close attention to where Son is watching, but to me it seemed a natural position for his head to be in if he was tracking the ball over the top and going after it. What I do know for sure though is that there was only one thing in Holding's mind and it wasn't to put his arm up for any other reason than to plant it in Son's upper body to stop him in his tracks.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He definitely went to physically engage him, but I don’t think he’s deliberately gone to smash him in the face, Son really made a big deal out of it 

Maybe not. But if you're on a yellow and you're blocking a player threatening to break with your elbow out, that's (at least) a second booking all day long, no?

Edit: I agree Son made a meal out of it, but I don't think that is here or there for what Holding did. If Son had stood straight up it would still have been a bookable foul.

Edited by Unbelievable

Just now, ManDoon said:

He definitely went to physically engage him, but I don’t think he’s deliberately gone to smash him in the face, Son really made a big deal out of it 

I think you're right but I don't really blame him. Holding got away with fouling him and then kicking him in the ribs and kneeing him in the back all in one foul earlier in the game, then proceeded to wrestle him all over the shop minutes later. However it came, it was coming.