sunderland in the EFL

Big River

50 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Highlights their own irrelevance that the major providers make an effort for us that they’ll never have.

Yeah I think that’s spot on.  They’ve had Nike and adidas doing their kits and I think they believe that makes them a glamorous outfit - whereas the truth is that the big manufacturers do kits for clubs at all levels these days (adidas and Nike used to only do kits for big clubs).  It’s showing them that their kit deals were perfunctory - just another club for the manufacturers. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah I think that’s spot on.  They’ve had Nike and adidas doing their kits and I think they believe that makes them a glamorous outfit - whereas the truth is that the big manufacturers do kits for clubs at all levels these days (adidas and Nike used to only do kits for big clubs).  It’s showing them that their kit deals were perfunctory - just another club for the manufacturers. 

Their Adidas deal wasn't even with Adidas themselves was it?

4 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Their Adidas deal wasn't even with Adidas themselves was it?

Their Nike one is through Just Sport - not sure re the adidas one, though they were a PL club when they had adidas so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was direct with adidas.

They definitely weren’t one of their ‘elite’ clubs like we are, mind :) 

Posted (edited)

Someone said it more concisely on here somewhere iirc but they get worked up or find weird things like the affinity with the Tyne Bridge, Keegan (and many others), a famous shirt number, Geordie identity, attention because they don't have their own equivalents.

They're really bothered by people wearing Newcastle tops at any time these days so this will be discombobulating them, PTSD from their dreaded "90's"

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, NE27 said:

We may have won nothing in what feels like forever, but could you imagine a kit reveal of similar stature for Sunderland?

I'm struggling tbh.

Who would it feature, where would it be shot, what memories would they hark back to?

We celebrate the region, and more specifically our club. We embrace the love we all have for the place, musicians and artists write songs about their affinity or memories of the place.

I just don't get that same civic pride when I think of Sunderland, could be wrong mind but other than vaux and ship building I've got nowt else :sad:

What you on about? They clearly have identity, in that they hate nufc more than anyone else. 

It's their whole reason to exist.

4 hours ago, NE27 said:

We may have won nothing in what feels like forever, but could you imagine a kit reveal of similar stature for Sunderland?

I'm struggling tbh.

Who would it feature, where would it be shot, what memories would they hark back to?

We celebrate the region, and more specifically our club. We embrace the love we all have for the place, musicians and artists write songs about their affinity or memories of the place.

I just don't get that same civic pride when I think of Sunderland, could be wrong mind but other than vaux and ship building I've got nowt else 

Undoubtedly any memories would centre heavily around beating the mags. 

Posted (edited)

Sunderland have been blighted by bad decision making all my life but someone played a blinder when they chose Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights as their entrance music. The grandiosity of it might never have quite befit the likes Quinn, Ball and Ord but, and I'll whispher it, it's one of the best entrance songs in football.

(I know it's got nowt to do with Wearside and they probably nicked off someone else but it's still good)

Worst pre-match song award goes to Chelsea. Imagine trying to get pumped up to instrumental reggae.

Edited by Monkey Alan

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, NE27 said:

I'm struggling tbh.

I just don't get that same civic pride when I think of Sunderland, could be wrong mind but other than vaux and ship building I've got nowt else :sad:

Would probably heavily feature the moment we first got relegated from the Premier League.

Always remember that photo of them all celebrating at the final whistle inside SOL with that older bloke in the front row hugging his son like he just returned from war.

Edited by Leemond
Spelling

29 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Ekwah, the bloke who Miggy dispossessed to set up the second goal if worth £10m apparently 

If we could use RTG's takes as a FMV marker I'd say we would be on track to be the next man city.

40 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Ekwah, the bloke who Miggy dispossessed to set up the second goal if worth £10m apparently 

So that's 10M for Ekwah, 30M for Dan Neil, 30M for Jack Clarke and 20M for Patterson. I'm sure I'll have forgot a few superstars and their RTG valuations off this list, so feel free to add...

But I mean, it's just amazing that this superstar filled side finished 16th in the Championship last season. How? 

3 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

Sunderland have been blighted by bad decision making all my life but someone played a blinder when they chose Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights as their entrance music. The grandiosity of it might never have quite befit the likes Quinn, Ball and Ord but, and I'll whispher it, it's one of the best entrance songs in football.

(I know it's got nowt to do with Wearside and they probably nicked off someone else but it's still good)

Worst pre-match song award goes to Chelsea. Imagine trying to get pumped up to instrumental reggae.

Personally thought it was shite when we've played at the SoL but each to their own I suppose. Prefer something that the fans can interact with or is at least a bit catchy rather than standing there listening to Classical music before KO.

44 minutes ago, Scoot said:

So that's 10M for Ekwah, 30M for Dan Neil, 30M for Jack Clarke and 20M for Patterson. I'm sure I'll have forgot a few superstars and their RTG valuations off this list, so feel free to add...

But I mean, it's just amazing that this superstar filled side finished 16th in the Championship last season. How? 

About two weeks off relegation the way it was heading. Wish we had their squad value

On 07/06/2024 at 07:25, 54 said:

Dave Challinor has been very good at Stockport in fairness, and is the sort of manager a lot of Championship clubs should be looking to appoint tbh.

Was gonna say, think he’s generally well thought of.

11 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

Not having that. I fucking love the Liquidator and it pisses me off no end that Chelsea have nabbed it.

9 hours ago, Scoot said:

Dan Ballard just made himself worth £40m, I guess

Posted (edited)

Dance of the Knights is a grinding and lumbering fucking mess imo (I guess it's supposed to be, Prokofiev knew what he was doing) so pretty appropriate :shifty: preferred us playing O Fortuna and would have preferred the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem even more :aww:

Edited by OpenC

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

"Local Hero" is far more iconic and the atmosphere at the ground when it hits is just brilliant imo - even when on the telly with the team line-ups being announced. Of course I am biased.

Dance of the Knights just sounds like some cringe Darth Vader shit.

Edited by Amir_9

I got this email from a north east activity company who promote “what’s on” and that. Tonight at 9.30pm, they’re live streaming a light show from the quayside. They’re beyond weird man. Have a rest from it all, it’s summer. They need to fill the void of not being Geordie for a few weeks. Absolutely lifting man. All for the new shirt I imagine?

Broken :lol:

22 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I got this email from a north east activity company who promote “what’s on” and that. Tonight at 9.30pm, they’re live streaming a light show from the quayside. They’re beyond weird man. Have a rest from it all, it’s summer. They need to fill the void of not being Geordie for a few weeks. Absolutely lifting man. All for the new shirt I imagine?

Broken :lol:

Probably as many there as they get at home games.

16 hours ago, Monkey Alan said:

Legit wondered why on earth they were coming out to the theme music to the apprentice when I first witnessed this shite 😂

Mackem fisherman today reckons we are fucked with ffp and will be selling Bruno et al in the next few weeks. No he didnt end in the river but was told straight that we arent a small time outfit lke them anymore...asked him who their manager is going to be....silence ffs they are more intrested in us than them 🤣