sunderland in the EFL

Big River

11 minutes ago, Scoot said:

I’m glad I know some sensible mackems who I count as mates, reading RTG sometimes you’d think it was some intranet forum in an asylum. 

Fuck me man.

Clogger O’Nien aside, they never flung into challenges because they are professionals who know that if they do they run the risk of a suspension, giving away dangerous free kicks/penalties, not the least that they respect their opponents enough to not seriously injure them.

13 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Fuck me man.

Clogger O’Nien aside, they never flung into challenges because they are professionals who know that if they do they run the risk of a suspension, giving away dangerous free kicks/penalties, not the least that they respect their opponents enough to not seriously injure them.

Besides, they'd have to get near us to kick us.

27 minutes ago, Heron said:

Besides, they'd have to get near us to kick us.

O9 tried for the whole game to maime someone.  His only real success was a thumping tackle on the bairn Miley.  Other than that he was normally on his arse.

5 hours ago, AmericanLooneyToon said:

Are most Sunderland fans like they are on RTG? I'm from the states so I haven't met many but the way they act on RTG is unlike any fanbase I've ever seen. 

They come off like scorned children whenever a result doesn't go their way. They believe the entire police force aswell as the media are mags working only to destroy their club and from what I can tell, despise every human on the face of the planet; including themselves. 

A few of them seem normal but a large part are seriously unhinged when their team is faced with any type of adversity. 

I used to work with a bloke who was like they on are on there - everything was a mag-based conspiracy against Sunderland.

For example; he believed that Grey St in Newcastle was funded by Sunderland tax-payers at the expense of Sunderland city centre.  When I pointed out that when Grey St was built Sunderland wasn’t much more than a collection of fishing villages, this was casually dismissed as an irrelevance.

Sense can’t be talked into some of them.  But that’s not my experience of most Mackems - who are no different to the average Geordie generally.  But there is a sizeable minority who are utterly broken. 

I work with a few mackems who are good lads, love their club and go in for some friendly ribbing. I’ve always felt like Sunderland have it pretty rough, clearly in Newcastle’s shadow as a city  by every metric going so I don’t take that much pleasure in rubbing it in their faces. The rivalry no longer even feels like a proper rivalry given the difference in quality between the two footballing sides 

8 hours ago, TBG said:

That 'Wearside!' will never not be hilarious. 

Granted both sets of animals aren't that intimidating, but surely they just had to look at what their neighbours up to road do with the Magpie surfers covering the whole stand and think, 'aye that looks canny we should do something similar with a black cat'

Instead they spelled out a region twinned with circa 2003 Baghdad.

Even the ‘Black Cat’ thing is weird.  A nickname voted for by Soccer AM viewers, because the club didn’t have a nickname (they were the ‘Rokerites’ when I was a kid.  But once that shithole was knocked down they had to change it).

So they had to make up a pretend history as well - they’d ‘always’ been known as the Black Cats because of a Napoleonic War-era battery which was known as the ‘black cats’.  But no fucker ever called them that - they just needed to vote for something that wasn’t ’the Mackems’, which of course is what everyone on Tyneside were voting to call them.

NB From memory, the tiresome wankers on Soccer AM were shocked that ‘Mackems’ didn’t win.  Though if it had, they’d be insisting that actually it was never a pisstake, and it that they called themselves that. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even the ‘Black Cat’ thing is weird.  A nickname voted for by Soccer AM viewers, because the club didn’t have a nickname (they were the ‘Rokerites’ when I was a kid.  But once that shithole was knocked down they had to change it).

So they had to make up a pretend history as well - they’d ‘always’ been known as the Black Cats because of a Napoleonic War-era battery which was known as the ‘black cats’.  But no fucker ever called them that - they just needed to vote for something that wasn’t ’the Mackems’, which of course is what everyone on Tyneside were voting to call them.

NB From memory, the tiresome wankers on Soccer AM were shocked that ‘Mackems’ didn’t win.  Though if it had, they’d be insisting that actually it was never a pisstake, and it that they called themselves that. 

Years ago I asked a die hard mackem what their nickname was.  I was holding the Rothmans book at the time (remember those books?)  He said black cats and I smugly told him "no, it's The Wearsiders".  They haven't a clue about their own history.

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

Years ago I asked a die hard mackem what their nickname was.  I was holding the Rothmans book at the time (remember those books?)  He said black cats and I smugly told him "no, it's The Wearsiders".  They haven't a clue about their own history.

Some of them are absolute loons when it comes to this stuff.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Some of them are absolute loons when it comes to this stuff.  

I must add the aforementioned Rothmans book also said "sometimes known as rokerites".  So you are correct.

5 minutes ago, Rod said:

I must add the aforementioned Rothmans book also said "sometimes known as rokerites".  So you are correct.

The Rothmans Yearbooks were always nailed-on.  And I’d be willing to bet that not one of them before the late ‘90s mentions ‘black cats’. 

So one of my guilty pleasures is watching stealth camping videos on youtube. It kinda chills me out. There's a couple of Canadian guys who are canny and there is a very nice lass from down south who has the most soothing voice. Then i come across this guy the other day he camps on roundabouts around the Sunderland area and gets drunk with his midget friend :lol:

He did a derby video today #mandingo

34 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

So one of my guilty pleasures is watching stealth camping videos on youtube. It kinda chills me out. There's a couple of Canadian guys who are canny and there is a very nice lass from down south who has the most soothing voice. Then i come across this guy the other day he camps on roundabouts around the Sunderland area and gets drunk with his midget friend :lol:

Blot outdoors is a legend. Watch his 0 star takeaway review, its hilarious.

https://youtu.be/x-EGC2JJoTI?si=e3vkG-aBPM5qPJ6J

Edited by pubteam

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

O'Nien was one of their best performers according to RTG. :lol:

Putting a strong tackle in on 17year old Miley with the game lost, trying to rev up the fans nearby straight after and lunging at but getting completely skinned by Isak leading to a penalty is a hat-trick of examples of great play to them.

47 minutes ago, ste_ne24 said:

Watch all his uploads, he’s kind of addictive. Mandingo.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

3 hours ago, Rod said:

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The Rothmans Yearbooks were always nailed-on.  And I’d be willing to bet that not one of them before the late ‘90s mentions ‘black cats’. 

I've got the 89/90 90/91 91/92 Barclay's Directories handy just cos its easier to referece than online resources.

Everyone of them has their nickname as 'the Rockerites" and its not just picking one nickname because Ipswich are town as "Town" and "the Blues"

My Dad tells some yarn that the black cats thing comes from a tour of America they did decades ago and they Americanised the name to spice it up.

Don't know anything about the Napoleonic reference but old pictures show they didn't have black anywhere on their old kits so it seems weird to adopt it all of a sudden late in the day but very them to tailor their kit to suit some name given to them that has no meaning whatsoever.

Toon Army and Tractor Boys were self annointed but are unofficial and have some relevance to the areas/clubs.

Edited by Jonas

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

Well done lads, thoroughly deserved win, We barely had a sniff.

Very disappointing performance from us, I expected a lot more.

In your opinion who was

a) your man of the match

b) our man of the match

Just now, Rod said:

In your opinion who was

a) your man of the match

b) our man of the match

A) I honestly don't think any of them were very good, I think Neil was probably the pick of a poor bunch as he at least looked to get onto the ball and didn't just give it away like Bellingham or Ekwah.

B) Isak is a handful for any defence nevermind ours, However I thought Joelinton caused us massive problems by drifting into the left hand channels to free up Gordon and we didn't know what to do. Once the game went 1-0 it was a stroll in the park for Bruno also.