sunderland

Big River

From the bbc report comments:

“Nice to see Sunderland fans in xmas spirit and donning fancy dress. So many in the same outfit of an empty seat though”

And now not only have they got the North Sea to contend with, the atmospheric conditions have turned against them;

“It was -4c.
Well done for even turning up”

Sunlun ‘til I die, unless it’s tew cewld marra. 

Edited by RS

Heard a snippet of Mowbray's pressa ref Stewart. 

Played Bruceball and hoyed him under the bridge. 

Apparently "wasn't in the right frame of mind to be considered.....felt some discomfort......need to wait until he's ready mentally & physically...."

He's bailing out to Rangers, nailed on. 

When I last checked last night, west brom had just equalised. I then totally forgot about it until just now. Hilarious that they lost in front of all those empty seats. Although I'd imagine the attendance was still announced as 35k+ was it? I can't find the attendance anywhere.

The attendance obsession is a strange one and, also self defeating. 

Notwithstanding their away support, which is laudable, over inflating the home attendances has over inflated their self worth. I mean they don't even recognise what their own eyes tell them. 

Have these owners, that have come along and been rinsed on the way, been beguiled by regular "big" crowds then realised it's a mirage? 

Listening to "mackems at work" this morning suggests they looked good value first half and then Mowbray went uber-negative after the break and made mental subs that caused them to get beat.

Sounds like he needs hounding out to me.

36 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I don't know what the mad cunts want? 

Scraped out of the 3rd division, spent fuck all and are just outside the play offs in the 2nd division. 

Seems fairly good progress to me. 

I’ll tell you what they want for their club, our owners to sell us. That’s it. 

55 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I don't know what the mad cunts want? 

Scraped out of the 3rd division, spent fuck all and are just outside the play offs in the 2nd division. 

Seems fairly good progress to me. 

Was just going to post something similar. What exactly are they expecting this season? But remember "mags are delewded."

Edited by Scoot

This post probably won't go down well, but trying to be objective.

First season back after 4 years in the 3rd tier, anywhere from 16th to 21st should have been considered more than fine at the start of the season, and then build from there, however, the Championship (outside of a select few) is so poor this season that more than that will now be achievable.

You look at the league table - Blackburn in 3rd place, lost 10 of their 22 matches and a negative goal difference, and there's only 7 points separating 3rd and 15th (who have 2 games in hand).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Start of the season you would have probably thought most, if not all, of the 3 relegated sides, Sheff U, WBA (although Bruce obviously didn't help) and Middlesbrough would occupy in the top 6, in whatever order, and despite WBA and Middlesbrough's terrible starts to the season, and both still have a lot to do, and ground to make up, those 6 are still the leading pack in terms of promotion odds:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/promotion

Sunderland have now played every side apart from Hull, and their record against those 'better' six clubs is very poor - 1 draw and 5 defeats, whereas against the other pack, it's P16 W8 D5 L3, and that's a big difference, they've also got the 5th best GD in the league at +5, and the best outside (4 of) those 6 clubs, so they know they can compete against most of the (dross in the) division, and with Boro and WBA both giving teams massive head starts, and a lot of catching up to do, they probably did think there was an outside chance of sneaking a top 6 place - if WBA or Boro didn't / don't make the playoffs, who would you think would be the next most likely? I'm not saying Sunderland are, or alluding that way, just a genuine question, because I don't think there's an obvious candidate. Blackburn are odds-wise, but they have looked largely poor whenever I have seen them, their XG is supposedly one of the lowest in the league, and I don't think they'll last.

That's why last night was important - if Palmer doesn't pull off that cracking save at 1-0, Sunderland may well have gone on to win, that would then have been 4 wins in 5, and with struggling Hull, Wigan, and Blackpool to play in their next 4 games (3 of the bottom 4), a chance for real momentum - plus they would have put themselves 10 points clear of a WBA side that is expected to make the top 6, whereas now it is just 4 (so possible a '6 pointer').

Hopefully WBA and (yes, even) Boro continue to improve and push on, and finish in the top 6, because if one or both of them don't, then seeing how the league is unfolding, and some of the sides currently in the top half, I'm not too confident of two other obvious playoff candidates, and Sunderland sneaking into 6th isn't totally beyond the realms of possibility.

24 minutes ago, Paullow said:

First season back after 4 years in the 3rd tier, anywhere from 16th to 21st should have been considered more than fine at the start of the season, and then build from there, however, the Championship (outside of a select few) is so poor this season that more than that will now be achievable.

You look at the league table - Blackburn in 3rd place, lost 10 of their 22 matches and a negative goal difference, and there's only 7 points separating 3rd and 15th (who have 2 games in hand).

Start of the season you would have probably thought most, if not all, of the 3 relegated sides, Sheff U, WBA (although Bruce obviously didn't help) and Middlesbrough would occupy in the top 6, in whatever order, and despite WBA and Middlesbrough's terrible starts to the season, and both still have a lot to do, and ground to make up, those 6 are still the leading pack in terms of promotion odds:

Sunderland have now played every side apart from Hull, and their record against those 'better' six clubs is very poor - 1 draw and 5 defeats, whereas against the other pack, it's P16 W8 D5 L3, and that's a big difference, they've also got the 5th best GD in the league at +5, and the best outside (4 of) those 6 clubs, so they know they can compete against most of the (dross in the) division, and with Boro and WBA both giving teams massive head starts, and a lot of catching up to do, they probably did think there was an outside chance of sneaking a top 6 place - if WBA or Boro didn't / don't make the playoffs, who would you think would be the next most likely? I'm not saying Sunderland are, or alluding that way, just a genuine question, because I don't think there's an obvious candidate. Blackburn are odds-wise, but they have looked largely poor whenever I have seen them, their XG is supposedly one of the lowest in the league, and I don't think they'll last.

That's why last night was important - if Palmer doesn't pull off that cracking save at 1-0, Sunderland may well have gone on to win, that would then have been 4 wins in 5, and with struggling Hull, Wigan, and Blackpool to play in their next 4 games (3 of the bottom 4), a chance for real momentum - plus they would have put themselves 10 points clear of a WBA side that is expected to make the top 6, whereas now it is just 4 (so possible a '6 pointer').

Hopefully WBA and (yes, even) Boro continue to improve and push on, and finish in the top 6, because if one or both of them don't, then seeing how the league is unfolding, and some of the sides currently in the top half, I'm not too confident of two other obvious playoff candidates, and Sunderland sneaking into 6th isn't totally beyond the realms of possibility.

Basically a long winded way of saying what I said 

"

I don't know what the mad cunts want? 

Scraped out of the 3rd division, spent fuck all and are just outside the play offs in the 2nd division. 

Seems fairly good progress to me." 

34 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I said earlier in the season that they will finish roughly where they are now. Not in relegation trouble or in the playoffs. They have a couple of decent Championship players, but they also have quite a bit of dross also. 

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Basically a long winded way of saying what I said 

"

I don't know what the mad cunts want? 

Scraped out of the 3rd division, spent fuck all and are just outside the play offs in the 2nd division. 

Seems fairly good progress to me." 

Not really. In short form, I'm saying had they won last night they would have won 3 in a row, been only 1 point off the playoff place, very winnable games to come, put themselves 10 clear of a genuine contender, and in what's looking like one of the weakest Championships in years - they're expectations might have (somewhat justifiably) changed to a top 6 place is just about feasible despite only just scraping out of the third tier at the 5th attempt.

Mate of mine went to see Richard Hawley in Brexitville last night where he cracked the following joke after he was getting abuse from a drunken woman

'what do sunderland and Las vegas have in common... In both places you can buy sex with chips'

8 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Not really. In short form, I'm saying had they won last night they would have won 3 in a row, been only 1 point off the playoff place, very winnable games to come, put themselves 10 clear of a genuine contender, and in what's looking like one of the weakest Championships in years - they're expectations might have (somewhat justifiably) changed to a top 6 place is just about feasible despite only just scraping out of the third tier at the 5th attempt.

I agree with you tbf. Wether it's weaker this season or not they're doing ok. 

Yet after every defeat the lid goes off and they want the manager sacked, the players are shit and the owners burnt alive. 

After every win they're NETDs again and their middling wingers worth £35m

Bifuckingpolar cunts

28 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I said earlier in the season that they will finish roughly where they are now. Not in a relegation trouble or in the playoffs. They have a couple of decent Championship players, but they also have quite a bit of dross also. 

Yeah, I was thinking that too, around 10th or 11th, a bit of momentum from last season, a bit of a feel good factor, and a few decent players to earn enough points just to kind of tread water. However, even despite Bruce, I didn't think WBA or Boro would have started as poorly as they did - I thought Bruce would have held WBA back but that they would still be in around 7th or 8th, so for them to win only 1 of their 13 matches, and be in the relegation zone before he was sacked is incredible, even by Bruce's standards.

These were SkyBet's pre season odds for the title, and you can see there is a big gap between 6 and 7, so if two of the 'big 6' start extremely poorly, then by the midway stage, it could change those possibly expecting to finish somewhere from 9th to 13th's ambitions.

Sky Bet Championship 22/23 winner odds (via Sky Bet)

4/1 - Norwich

11/2 - Watford

7/1 - Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough

8/1 - West Brom

9/1 - Burnley

20/1 - Swansea

Championship Top 6 odds

Norwich City - 5/6

Watford - 10/11

West Brom - 11/10

Sheffield United - 6/5

Middlesbrough - 6/5

Burnley - 6/4

Swansea - 9/4

Stoke - 5/2

Huddersfield - 5/2

Sunderland - 11/4

Edited by Paullow

16 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I agree with you tbf. Wether it's weaker this season or not they're doing ok. 

Yet after every defeat the lid goes off and they want the manager sacked, the players are shit and the owners burnt alive. 

After every win they're NETDs again and their middling wingers worth £35m

Bifuckingpolar cunts

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Pre-season the majority would have been chuffed with mid-table. That's where they are and yet they're whining because they lost meaning they're a bit short of the Play-Offs. They're deluded.

Well seems they have some winnable games coming up. Maybe all things red and white will be rosy again soon. So pleased it is not our team in that situation though. Scrabbling for the play-offs, in vain hope of promotion to a league they’ll massively struggle to survive in.