Burnley vs. Newcastle United: 22/05/22 @ 4pm (No UK TV)

Decky

3 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Looks at the state of that table only 4 months ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59918928

I still can't believe it's only a really meaningful match for Burnley, it always felt like a massive fixture, and unlikely that we would be more than 2 or 3 points clear of them at this stage, but instead, we actually have an outside chance of 10th. Madness.

I was at that game, remember leaving the ground totally resigned to us going down 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I was at that game, remember leaving the ground totally resigned to us going down 

Yep, trudged down the Gallowgate steps thinking we might be finished. Oh how wrong we were!

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yeah, I think that was pretty much the only time on here where a fair few were questioning Howe and if we had made the correct appointment, especially as it was only one week and the following match after the Cambridge disaster. Safe to say we've not looked back at since the Leeds match which followed.

Well since its raining now and cloudy, it reminds me of playing Palace in 95 last game when they needed a win to stay up - also in terms of how much of a chuff I give about whether our opponents do or dont.

7 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Assuming we win today we need:

Brentford (H) to draw or lose to Leeds.

Brighton (H) to lose to West Ham
Leicester (H) to lose to Southampton and a 20 goal swing in GD

That last bit seems highly probable.

It's mad how, mathematically at least, every club can either gain or drop a place today. Chelsea will finish 3rd (or there will be investigations) but every other club could move (up or down) in the table.

For us, Leicester are obviously out of the question, so it's realistically 10th at best, and we also can't finish above Brentford without Leeds staying up, if you are of that persuasion. Hopefully we'll just win the match and if we finish 12th as we currently are, then that's still amazing. We probably shouldn't finish any lower than 13th given Villa have to go to City.

An exciting afternoon ahead.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

It's mad how, mathematically at least, every club can either gain or drop a place today. Chelsea will finish 3rd (or there will be investigations) but every other club could move (up or down) in the table.

For us, Leicester are obviously out of the question, so it's realistically 10th at best, and we also can't finish above Brentford without Leeds staying up, if you are of that persuasion. Hopefully we'll just win the match and if we finish 12th as we currently are, then that's still amazing. We probably shouldn't finish any lower than 13th given Villa have to go to City.

An exciting afternoon ahead.

If we win today and still finish 12th, that's another stick to beat Bruce with, and I encourage it.

10 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Although this would be amusing. Potentially dangerous in the current environment.

The authorities really need to stamp down on pitch invading, we can't be worrying about players and managers being attacked.

They should be making it abundantly clear that they will do all they can to identify everyone entering the pitch and ban them.

If one person does it that's what happens, if a thousand do it seems they're just let off unless they headbutt someone.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

If we win today and still finish 12th, that's another stick to beat Bruce with, and I encourage it.

What stick is that - you can almost hear him now, 'ah finished 12th too, ya kna'.

Last year we could have realistically finished anywhere from 12th to 17th, fixture order was in our favour, and we finished as high as we could, which was probably the opposite of a blessing in disguise, aka papering over the cracks.