General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

On 14/09/2021 at 02:31, Yorkie said:

Absolutely wonderful interview with Sir Bobby that I hadn't seen before. Presumably from 02-03 DVD. Enjoy. 

The man was an absolute gentleman. He was always so dignified and humble in his interviews.  I remember 20 odd years ago we lost to the mackems and in his match of the day interview he apologised to the fans and said if anyone was feeling down they could go to his house for tea. That was the sort of bloke he was. 

No we have a fat walrus embarrassing the club and the city at every opportunity. Kicking off at journalists, throwing his toys out of the pram, blaming the fans, shoulder barging his own players. The exact opposite of SBR. SBR was a gent and a true football man. This fat joke we have now is a shame to game of football and unfortunately he is our manager. 

Too right. I just love every second of that interview; his enthusiasm, skill and discipline all absolutely palpable. Such a better time than what we're experiencing now. Said it in another thread the other day but it just felt totally natural being one of the best three in the country/best 16 in Europe. We were right up there and rightly so and he was obviously such a massive, massive part of that brilliant couple of years. I enjoyed 03/04 as well, despite the frustration. Again worlds apart from what we're experiencing now. 

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Too right. I just love every second of that interview; his enthusiasm, skill and discipline all absolutely palpable. Such a better time than what we're experiencing now. Said it in another thread the other day but it just felt totally natural being one of the best three in the country/best 16 in Europe. We were right up there and rightly so and he was obviously such a massive, massive part of that brilliant couple of years. I enjoyed 03/04 as well, despite the frustration. Again worlds apart from what we're experiencing now. 

It did feel right and it was an amazing time. I was 10 when we got promoted at the start of the Keegan era; what a time to be a kid living in Newcastle. The sad fact is, 10 year old kids now all they will know is Ashley and mediocrity. Europe and being top of the league is something the new generation of fan wont have experienced and we are slowly slipping to the point where 'just staying in the premier league' is the norm.

11 hours ago, Bintang said:

The man was an absolute gentleman. He was always so dignified and humble in his interviews.  I remember 20 odd years ago we lost to the mackems and in his match of the day interview he apologised to the fans and said if anyone was feeling down they could go to his house for tea. That was the sort of bloke he was. 

No we have a fat walrus embarrassing the club and the city at every opportunity. Kicking off at journalists, throwing his toys out of the pram, blaming the fans, shoulder barging his own players. The exact opposite of SBR. SBR was a gent and a true football man. This fat joke we have now is a shame to game of football and unfortunately he is our manager. 

Perfectly summed up

The stinking fat mess who's the current incumbent shouldn't be within a long bus ride of the club, & in his head he thinks he's like SBR in some way, the attempt he makes at trying to imitate SBR voice makes me die inside every time I hear it.

5 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Perfectly summed up

The stinking fat mess who's the current incumbent shouldn't be within a long bus ride of the club, & in his head he thinks he's like SBR in some way, the attempt he makes at trying to imitate SBR voice makes me die inside every time I hear it.

When someone like SBR, Fergie, Mourinho would walk into a dressing room they would command respect with their presence and their achievements. When fat boy waddles in late after swanning off on a holiday to Portugal and starts lecturing the players on fitness and discipline (after they have seen him lose his temper with a journalist) the only thing in the players' minds will be distain. 

Watching Fever Pitch, episode 3, it’s a hard watch, I cried my eyes out when we sold Cole, he was my absolute hero and remains my childhood hero from a footballing perspective. I was so excited by Gillespie though, I just felt he never really fulfilled his potential in football. But that Barca game… :love:

On 14/09/2021 at 01:31, Yorkie said:

Absolutely wonderful interview with Sir Bobby that I hadn't seen before. Presumably from 02-03 DVD. Enjoy. 

Ah man :smitten:

31 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Watching Fever Pitch, episode 3, it’s a hard watch, I cried my eyes out when we sold Cole, he was my absolute hero and remains my childhood hero from a footballing perspective. I was so excited by Gillespie though, I just felt he never really fulfilled his potential in football. But that Barca game… :love:

Barca game my favourite of all time. That and smashing Man United 5-0 after they had beaten us in the charity shield 4-0.... Happy days.

25 minutes ago, Bintang said:

Barca game my favourite of all time. That and smashing Man United 5-0 after they had beaten us in the charity shield 4-0.... Happy days.

Best days of our (NUFC) lives them, the KK years, the Sir Bobby years and of course under Dalglish smashing Barca at home.

48 minutes ago, Bintang said:

One of my proudest moments supporting NUFC was 2-2 Inter away in the CL, the ref was a joke, but the mass of Toon fans and how we played was amazing, Bramble, Nobby and Bernard in particular were immense that night, they all were. It was such a great era for us and a good team too, just one or two things that were missing for us to win something. I think if Sir Bobby took over KK’s team we win something!

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

One of my proudest moments supporting NUFC was 2-2 Inter away in the CL, the ref was a joke, but the mass of Toon fans and how we played was amazing, Bramble, Nobby and Bernard in particular were immense that night, they all were. It was such a great era for us and a good team too, just one or two things that were missing for us to win something. I think if Sir Bobby took over KK’s team we win something!

Still hated Emre even when he played for use because of this game. 

7 hours ago, HTT II said:

My best away game that.  Fucking incredible day.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

My best away game that.  Fucking incredible day.

It was amazing watching that on TV. The number of our fans and volume through the match was incredible. I was at university at the time and couldnt afford to go, I thought there would be plenty of chances to watch us in Europe in the coming years.... how wrong I was. 

In terms of favourite away matches- Roker park the season when away fans were banned. Was only a teenager and absolutely terrified in their end. It was not fun at the time but getting back home to celebrate was amazing. 

31 minutes ago, Bintang said:

It was amazing watching that on TV. The number of our fans and volume through the match was incredible. I was at university at the time and couldnt afford to go, I thought there would be plenty of chances to watch us in Europe in the coming years.... how wrong I was. 

In terms of favourite away matches- Roker park the season when away fans were banned. Was only a teenager and absolutely terrified in their end. It was not fun at the time but getting back home to celebrate was amazing. 

Was absolutely class.  When Shearer scored his second at our end every fucker landed in a heap after surging forward.

Although the less said about the Inter fans throwing flares and cups of piss from the top tier the better.

14 minutes ago, Sima said:

Was absolutely class.  When Shearer scored his second at our end every fucker landed in a heap after surging forward.

Although the less said about the Inter fans throwing flares and cups of piss from the top tier the better.

I would quite happily accept home fans throwing flares at me if it meant being back in Europe. Can't see that happening for the foreseeable though....

14 minutes ago, Bintang said:

I would quite happily accept home fans throwing flares at me if it meant being back in Europe. Can't see that happening for the foreseeable though....

I remember leaving the Benfica home game in 2013 and a bloke in front of us saying "well that's no more European football for about 10 year". He's gonna be right. :lol: :(

I miss us being in Europe so much. Easily some of our most memorable moments have come in European competition. I can remember the sojourns through the UEFA Cup just as well, if not better, than the Champions League occasions. Sochaux! Mallorca! Marumbadoro! FK ZTS Dubnica! Sibierski! S'what it's all about, man. 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I remember leaving the Benfica home game in 2013 and a bloke in front of us saying "well that's no more European football for about 10 year". He's gonna be right. :lol: :(

If we're back in Europe in 2023 then some thing's going very right very soon. :lol: ( :anguish: ) 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I miss us being in Europe so much. Easily some of our most memorable moments have come in European competition. I can remember the sojourns through the UEFA Cup just as well, if not better, than the Champions League occasions. Sochaux! Mallorca! Marumbadoro! FK ZTS Dubnica! Sibierski! S'what it's all about, man. 

Aye. Love the Europa League, what I'd give to be back in it. Class away trips, good record in it, reasonable chance of winning it. Man.

35 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye. Love the Europa League, what I'd give to be back in it. Class away trips, good record in it, reasonable chance of winning it. Man.

It doesn't actually take that much for a club of our size to get into the Europa. West Ham managed it fine. Just some ambition. This is where we should be aiming for. 

Edited by Bintang

8 hours ago, Bintang said:

It doesn't actually take that much for a club of our size to get into the Europa. West Ham managed it fine. Just some ambition. This is where we should be aiming for. 

It does, mind. When you consider the majority of the time the Euro slots are taken by Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal…that leaves one slot a season. You might get lucky and one of those six have a shocker like Arsenal last season, but most of the time there’s one Europa spot for the rest of the league to scrap over.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It does, mind. When you consider the majority of the time the Euro slots are taken by Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal…that leaves one slot a season. You might get lucky and one of those six have a shocker like Arsenal last season, but most of the time there’s one Europa spot for the rest of the league to scrap over.

True, but this season we have West Ham and Leicester in the Europa League. There is no reason we (if we actually tried and realized our potential) shouldn't be aiming to finish ahead of those two teams. That of course depends on us having an owner who actually wants to get the club into Europe, not just survive for the TV money. 

Going slightly off topic, I think one way to make football more interesting in this country would be to make the league cup only for teams not playing in Europe and offer a European spot. It would give the rest of us something to aim for and clear up the fixtures for the big 4/6. At the moment the league cup is basically the 'see how far you can get before you get thrashed by Man City' cup. Sponsors would never allow it mind. 

I think finishing in the top 6 is far more doable than the elitist agenda would have you believe. There's Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd then it's anyone's game imo. There should be absolutely nothing to fear whatsoever from Spurs and Arsenal and they're always a couple of weeks away from some major distraction which prohibits them from having a sustained challenge on the Champions League places, thereby throwing them into the mix with everyone else. 

In the last ten years or so, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves, Burnley, Everton, Southampton, Villa and Us have finished somewhere in the top 7. Slightly more tenuous but West Brom, Swansea and Fulham have all had good seasons in that time where they've come 8th but threatened to have a go at those places too. 

The shop door is definitely closing but it's far from wedged shut at this point and I think it's absolutely critical - right now - that the wider football fanbase in this country totally rejects the notion that the league isn't competitive. If the idea that the top 6 is the top 6 'and that's that' becomes the majority view, it'll make it so easy for those malevolent forces within the game to get what they want. We should recognise that danger as much as anyone; just see what a stadium full of grim acceptance every week gets you. Years of Steve Bruce. :lol:

Recruit well, avoid political/popular drama off the pitch, form a strong identity on the pitch, have a strong fitness record. That will give you an edge over the fancied basket cases and have you challenging for 5th and 6th. Maybe even 4th, maybe even the title ffs. Leicester was only five years ago!