Nick Pope

Rich

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree.

But Nick Pope will want to play to prove his fitness and give himself a shot. If he's fit, he'll want to play.

If he's fit and he thinks he has a shot of the squad. Not playing him might cause dressing room issues.

Absolutely, and Nick Pope is not one of Southgates favourites anyways, so it might make a difference.

Same shoulder injured twice in five years. I wouldn't be rushing him back. I'd also be looking to for a new 1st choice goalkeeper, as I'm a fickle arsehole with no loyalty. Hopefully he can overcome the the protective nature telling him not to dive down on that side. 

Sounds like maybe not as close as first thought. More like hoping to feature in the last few games as opposed to expected to be involved in the last 5. 

Almost seems pointless bringing him back for 2-3 games now. Although it would be great to have him for Old Trafford and hoof ball Brentford. 

Keepers are a funny breed. Quite a lot of their game is played in the head. Even if he's fully fit he wont be match sharp and I wonder whether he'll be hesistent to dive on his shoulder. Any other position if sat hoy em straight back in, but Dubs might be the safer bet till the end of the season, especially since he's been doing better of late. 

Remember when he came in, looked like he forgot he was a goalkeeper. Not saying he's pope levels or even a decent PL keeper, just might be worth giving pope more time to come back. 

Howe will see how he’s diving etc. in training and make a decision on him. For all his flaws though it’s nice to have a keeper in Dubs who doesn’t kick it into the stands at every opportunity.

I guess it's not that weird but it feels wrong to have completely forgotten by full time that he was there available on the bench.

I can obviously understand if he's thinking about one last shot at the Euros squad but feels pretty far fetched. Hadn't Southgate already been leaving him out for a while before his injury? Didn't appear he was set to be part of their plans even when fit so I can't see him squeezing his way back in on the back of a maximum of three games.

He's had this injury before. So I wouldn't be all that concerned about him not mentally being ready to return.  He'll know if it feels right. 

Seems like by the time he returns it could well be the same exact number of days as it was the first time.

Screenshot_20240506-172018.thumb.png.f1d621596d115331f9862c40078586cc.png

Watching him in the warm up Saturday and can confirm he doesn’t appear to of been working on using his feet. Still looks uncomfortable as ever though he did put away a lovely volley past Gillespie  [emoji38]