Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

I still don't think there's any justification for individuals having control of away tickets and decide who can go, but I guess if it's very limited it's better. If you can't go, you don't need a ticket, it should go to someone else with the right amount of points. 

The most important thing is to allow new people to build up points, but again the demand is so out of proportion to supply that there's not much you can do. 

Since I will never get an away ticket I will keep out of it :lol:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I still don't think there's any justification for individuals having control of away tickets and decide who can go, but I guess if it's very limited it's better. If you can't go, you don't need a ticket, it should go to someone else with the right amount of points. 

The most important thing is to allow new people to build up points, but again the demand is so out of proportion to supply that there's not much you can do. 

But if tickets become transferrable to members, you’re a member so theoretically it gives you a better chance of obtaining one.

Just now, SteV said:

But if tickets become transferrable to members, you’re a member so theoretically it gives you a better chance of obtaining one.

I know, but I just don't think the original purchaser shouldn't have any power to do anything except buy a ticket for themselves if they want to attend a game. That's the simplest implementation of the loyalty scheme. 

Practically I know someone might get ill or injured the day before the game etc, so I guess something has to be done to fill that seat. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know, but I just don't think the original purchaser shouldn't have any power to do anything except buy a ticket for themselves if they want to attend a game. That's the simplest implementation of the loyalty scheme. 

Practically I know someone might get ill or injured the day before the game etc, so I guess something has to be done to fill that seat. 

I see the principle of your point. 

However, with all of this there’s never a right way, so it’s always about trying to find some kind of acceptable compromise. What’s being discussed seems to just about do that IMO.

I still don't get why ST holders should get priority over away tickets. They pay for the privilege of a seat at ST every season - that should be your lot.

8 minutes ago, Earp said:

I still don't get why ST holders should get priority over away tickets. They pay for the privilege of a seat at ST every season - that should be your lot.

Yeah, we discussed this a lot a while back. I agree with you but I understand ST holders are used to having a lot of benefits. 

6 minutes ago, Earp said:

Without wanting to go round and round in unnecessary circles, if everything was completely new and there was no historical context to take into account, you might well have a point.

However, no hierarchy is going to turn round to supporters that have been going away week in, week out for X number of years, and say ‘sorry, now that we’re good and demand has increased massively, you don’t get priority and have to join the queue like everyone else’.

For some reason that link won't work. What's the crack? Are ID checks still in force or are they stopping those to allow those with billions of loyalty points to buy all the tickets up again and then re-sell them?

If you haven't got an ST you're a second class citizen for home games and you can't (officially) go to an away game either

And there's no way for anyone who doesn't have an ST to get on the ladder, through building up some form of loyalty points as a member and maybe one day getting an ST if they're ever sold again

There's no easy fix, but that's the reality

And we've been round the houses a million times on here about why that's perceived to be fair / not fair

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 minutes ago, Scoot said:

For some reason that link won't work. What's the crack? Are ID checks still in force or are they stopping those to allow those with billions of loyalty points to buy all the tickets up again and then re-sell them?

Spoiler

Tuesday 23rd January saw the latest in a series “Fan Engagement” event held at St. James’ Park hosted by the Newcastle United Supporter Services Group. This one again, focused on the emotive subject of away ticketing.

United is not keen on details of these meetings being shared as they are often misconstrued and the club and attendees come in for criticism post meeting. In this instance though, I feel information needs to be shared as it benefits those in attendance and hopefully fans can see how they were represented.

Additionally, if United take what they heard at face value and act accordingly, it will have a benefit for the club too.

Who was there?

The usual suspects had representation. NUDSA (Newcastle United Disabled Supporters Association), UWP (United with Pride), NUST (Newcastle United Supporters Trust) and NUSC (Newcastle United Supporters Club).

It wasn’t mentioned, unless I missed it, as to whether members of the newly selected FAB (Fans Advisory Board) were there, though you would assume they should have been.

The fans invited along were selected on the following basis. Those who had been unsuccessful in their application to join the aforementioned FAB and then those who’d shown interest in previous fan engagement events but not been selected to attend.

Around 100 were in attendance in the Moncur Suite with a further selection joining online. These weren’t visible or audible to the room but had their own input gathered by an online United representative.

It was apparent there were a good number of away day regulars in attendance, which is a positive, as well as a good mix of ages and genders.

As with all these meetings, the representatives from the Supporter Services team, namely Sarah Medcalf, Yvette Thompson and Matt Willis did the intros and set the agenda for the evening.

There were 3 main points of focus:

What challenges does the current away ticketing process present? Do you have suggested solutions?

How do we ensure the away ticket process is fair and easy for fans to access/engage with?

Does the current loyalty point process need developing to support some of the ticketing challenge/concerns we may face? If so, are there suggestions to tweaks to the system?

The tables were given approximately an hour to discuss the 3 points while the allocated club representative took notes and summarised at the end of the session.

Rather than take the individual points, it’s easier to give an overall summary as they didn’t really follow the intended format. It’s worth noting every table had much the same views so the summarising was repetitive but conclusive.

In terms of challenges, the main point of contention was the current check system on away tickets. Even though many agreed the check system has worked in opening away ticketing to fans with lower points, the checks were resented as draconian and punishments seen as disproportionate to the supposed “crime” of passing on an away ticket.

Suggestions on how to make this work better were pretty much covered by two points.

Firstly, could the club advise fans 72-hours in advance they will face a planned check and will need to collect their ticket from an United representative outside the away end. This would remove the stress of getting a “red” ticket and needing to go to the box office at an away stadium which many felt was unfair and in some people’s opinions, dangerous.

The downside in my opinion is anyone who had no intention of going in the first place would then just take advantage of the 72 hour returns period and say they could no longer make it.  The subsequent view was that fan would be monitored in future.

I did ask the question how many have had their points removed after being caught out but the club representative didn’t know the figures. I also asked if the check system was random or pre-determined. It was suggested it is totally random.

The other main topic on this one was for fans to be allowed to pass their ticket on if their circumstances changed and they could no longer attend. Spurs (a) being mentioned as a lot missed out due to train cancellations.

The consensus was we should be allowed to do this up to 3 times per season. There was a degree of variation in opinion as to who you could pass the ticket on to and who would get the point. Some thought passing to season ticket holders and some thought members. Either way, there was an agreement it should be someone on the club’s data base. Obviously the person passing on the ticket would not get a loyalty point. Some thought nobody should get it while others thought the person then using the ticket should get it. Even a member! (a point for later) It was generally accepted this is more workable with a digital away ticketing system.

There were a couple of points raised about the purchase of away tickets in general and site accessibility. Points drop regularly and incremental drops, which were mentioned in the opening speech by Yvette Thompson.

It was also suggested ticketing information specific to away games should be highlighted on the website and easier for fans to access. It could also have a separate area to purchase away tickets so sales do not clash with home tickets. This is something many of us have had an issue with.

One suggestion made on this section was for fans to be allowed to apply for an away ticket on release, then the club could sell them from highest points to lowest until sold out.

As ever with these get-togethers, loyalty points excite discussion and this was no exception. As mentioned earlier, there were a lot of away day regulars present of differing ages and it was viewed by all the current system does not need changing and the way it currently works is the best way moving forward.

There were one or two mentions of cut off periods for historical points but this wasn’t really taken very far. That’s not to say United won’t look at something based upon a 3-5 year rolling period as has been suggested on social media etc.

A lot of discussion centred on how younger fans can get tickets and a young people’s ballot had a lot of support though where the tickets come from is open to discussion. These wouldn’t be additional tickets and for every special category created, others lose out in a situation of such huge demand.

Many agreed the original ballot system should have been for young fans only as older fans have had more than ample opportunity to get on the points ladder.

It was suggested ballots should only be for full/higher allocation games and not for low allocations like Luton and Bournemouth. That is a very valid point in my opinion. Should people on zero points get a ticket for Luton over someone on 150 points? Howay man!

On the subject of young fans, there was a further discussion around how parents could take their kids even when they don’t have the required points and additionally how people can go as families. This is not something I’m in favour of as once again, someone has to miss out for this to happen. One suggestion was if the parent has the points required, they can also buy their child ticket despite them not meeting the points requirement. That’s a contentious one.

Additional loyalty point discussions focused on points for home cup ties (which used to be part of the system) points for home games in general(?) and points for buying merchandise etc.

Generally thoughts on loyalty points though seemed to be “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Obviously last night was just an ‘information gathering exercise’, nothing was actually decided.

42 minutes ago, Earp said:

Whats your view on loyalty points? Scrap them?

Edited by jack j

53 minutes ago, Earp said:

44 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, we discussed this a lot a while back. I agree with you but I understand ST holders are used to having a lot of benefits. 

The answer is the same as it was a while back. Any misuse of the AWAY ticket there is high jeopardy. Points lost and or your ST.

If sold to a member and they were found selling on they would lose a membership that they could easily buy again. Also as you’ve seen with the home games members are touting the tickets because of little punishment. Some members aren’t even NUFC fans and just treating it as a business. Chances of ST holders doing the same is minute in comparison.

If theres AWAY tickets left when it gets to ZERO points then I don’t see the problem members having the same opportunity as ST holders at that late stage to give some opportunity but maybe those put in the ID Check pile automatically to avoid abuse and not give a sniff that they can be transferred.

As for ST holders being able to transfer to other ST/members it’s got to be limited to around 2 per season. 

To prove my earlier point look at what’s happened with home tickets now that ST holders don’t have opportunity to buy an extra ticket. None genuine memberships have been bought in bulk to purchase any tickets won and resold at sky high prices. Whereas before you’d usually ask a mate who had a ST to see if they could get you one. Never guaranteed of getting one but a decent chance which would lead to a genuine fan helping another genuine fan at face value prices. All you have now is the Wild West… Ridiculous prices, away fans in home ends, seats left unused. Same would happen to AWAY tickets.

The loss of points or ST does reduce the abuse and is still the best imperfect system. You’ve seen the effect of games dropping to 0,1 points and even the bigger games falling to around 25. 2 tickets per season for illness allows fair wriggle room but anyone advocating zero ID checks and unlimited transfers are those wanting to unfairly control away tickets with points they hold.

Edited by LFEE

43 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Hopefully the latter 

• 1 month later...

The bottom of the latest members e-mail (for 'member of the match') says '2024/25 membership coming soon!' at the bottom. Seems a bit early unless there's something a bit different coming soon? Or maybe i'm reading too much into it...

Here’s your 24/25 membership package- YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED! 
coming soon!

Price increase for membership  
Price Increase on tickets  
Less choice of seats  
Unlimited cap on new members
Priority to abroad fans  
SJP to be demolished and moved to Longframlington

On 24/01/2024 at 13:23, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know if people who’ve been successful in the away ballots. There’s always a chance albeit it’s slim and you don’t have points or know someone foolish enough to let you use theirs.

Another survey emailed out (different one for members and non members)

Asking about what you value most and so on.

I wonder if they take any notice