Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

8 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Just have a look at the spurs online store too for comparison. Loads of merch available.

Badged hoodies, Caps, hats, t shirts etc over 200 gifts to pick from. We'd make a killing selling anything like that. Instead we just get the Castore training range for extortionate prices. 

Spurs didn't have Ashley running them into the ground for 10 years then setting the place ahad as he left, tho. 

Things like that should improve when these contracts run out, no? 

13 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Gov, just to clarify you believe memberships should be limited so some folk should never be able to attend?

I personally think unlimited memberships is a nightmare. But if you’re going to have unlimited memberships then there has to be a benefit to holding one and a benefit to showing loyalty in the past and moving forward too. 

One option would have been, tiered levels of memberships. This could have been an option a La Spurs. Perhaps the possibility of building up home ‘loyalty’ points for every game attended to go to the next tiered level. 

9 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I personally think unlimited memberships is a nightmare. But if you’re going to have unlimited memberships then there has to be a benefit to holding one and a benefit to showing loyalty in the past and moving forward too. 

One option would have been, tiered levels of memberships. This could have been an option a La Spurs. Perhaps the possibility of building up home ‘loyalty’ points for every game attended to go to the next tiered level. 

Why are unlimited membership a nightmare? I agree the benefits for membership aren’t good enough for those not attending so I won’t quibble that. 

I think fundamentally, any fan should have the opportunity to go however. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Why are unlimited membership a nightmare? I agree the benefits for membership aren’t good enough for those not attending so I won’t quibble that. 

I think fundamentally, any fan should have the opportunity to go however. 

For one, you’ll see away fans buying memberships for tickets to get into home end. I can guarantee you that. Liverpool or Arsenal being number 1 culprits.

If you’re having unlimited memberships there has to be a way to differentiate between a fan as well. You don’t want to stop any fan going, but you also can’t lump every non season ticket holding fan into the same category either. 

I find it interesting the club capped it last year and not this year btw. Do you think they suddenly had a change of heart or do you think they wanted to capitalise on £££. I know why I think they have done it. 

Edited by TheGuv

29 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Gov, just to clarify you believe memberships should be limited so some folk should never be able to attend?

I mean without limiting memberships (say you must purchase by the start of the season), you are virtually guaranteeing that fans of any big club like Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc will be entering the ballot and sitting in the home end.

And if someone couldn't be arsed to purchase one in that time frame then i can't imagine they'd be too bothered about missing matches.

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Isn't the point of memberships to give access to matches to people who wouldn't, ordinarily, be able to? 

They're obviously trying to do something to help those. That means no capping of membership numbers and no loyalty points for any lucky winners. 

I get the cost implications and, perhaps that'll be reviewed. Simple answers are either a tiered ballot for differing priced seats or a few defined areas of seating reserved for the ballot winners in permanent sections. 

Let's face it, many people wouldn't have been able to afford the actual membership fees in the first place. Certainly not for a family. 

It's a business, they need to maximise revenue across all areas. That's football 2023

Maybe one day when the non-ticket revenue catches up with the other big players they might be able to level prices out. 

FWIW we took up 2 x memberships and could afford 2 x tickets at the top price. I wouldn't be happy but it would be a one-off for us. 

36 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If they'd capped memberships, the no access 10am-ers would have been locked out for the full season like. Took until about 4pm on a break at work before getting in, even at lunch break there was still an hour-plus queue. 

They could have split available tickets into 2 or 3 sale days for members. e.g.

Thurs 10am

Fri 4pm

Sat 10am

Not necessarily those times or in that order but you get the jist

Find it hard to believe that someone wouldn’t be available to log on at 3 different times, or couldn’t link to a friend who could log on at one those times. 

And preventing people from using multiple browsers isn’t difficult, plenty of other ticketing sites have managed it

Personally it would have disadvantaged me as I always got a low queue number last season, but it’d be infinitely better than having fuck all choice over where to sit and what to pay  

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, TheGuv said:

For one, you’ll see away fans buying memberships for tickets to get into home end. I can guarantee you that. Liverpool or Arsenal being number 1 culprits.

If you’re having unlimited memberships there has to be a way to differentiate between a fan as well. You don’t want to stop any fan going, but you also can’t lump every non season ticket holding fan into the same category either. 

They could buy them before no? It’s just they were limited to those fans following the news of the launch period. Preventing fans of other clubs buying tickets is pretty much unenforceable and such a bizarre point to be frank (our fans can also do this). 

I think we need to encourage a broader base of support personably and especially encourage the next generation to attend rather than become say man city fans because they could never attend a game for us. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

They could buy them before no? It’s just they were limited to those fans following the news of the launch period. Preventing fans of other clubs buying tickets is pretty much unenforceable and such a bizarre point to be frank (our fans can also do this). 

I think we need to encourage a broader base of support personably and especially encourage the next generation to attend rather than become say man city fans because they could never attend a game for us. 

No, unless they were buying them on the first day of sale. 

If you want to encourage a broader base of fan, then perhaps letting them pick their own price of seat would be a good start. 

Just now, TheGuv said:

No, unless they were buying them on the first day of sale. 

If you want to encourage a broader base of fan, then perhaps letting them pick their own price of seat would be a good start. 

Couldn’t agree more regarding both the pricing and the lack of seat selection. 

So if another clubs fans were to buy membership on day one it’s alright? Again it’s not even a valid argument against an unlimited membership. 

Cmon Guv; be honest you don’t like unlimited membership because you think you will have a lesser chance of getting a ticket? 

Couldn’t agree more regarding both the pricing and the lack of seat selection. 

So if another clubs fans were to buy membership on day one it’s alright? Again it’s not even a valid argument against an unlimited membership. 

Cmon Guv; be honest you don’t like unlimited membership because you think you will have a lesser chance of getting a ticket? 

I’ll say it til I’m blue in the face and said it weeks ago. If you’re having unlimited memberships there has to be a tier element to it. 

Example:

Tier 1 - 10 membership home games and above (higher weighted ballot entry yet can still be unsuccessful on application) 

Tier 2 - 3 home membership games and above (higher weighted ballot entry, as above). 

Tier 3 - basic membership. (All can enter ballot and many will still get tickets).

Just as away ticket holders are now annoyed with the new away system, there should be something in place for more ‘loyal’ (dare I say it) home fans. Some of have spent well over £1000 in the last 2 seasons on membership and tickets for home games.

Yet, someone who fancies buying a membership in March, with a chance to watch Newcastle’s title run in (for example) with no ticketing history  and can enter a ballot and has the same % chance to a home ticket as someone who has been to various games over various seasons?

That is also not fair. Yet everyone should be in the same boat? It’s a missed trick imo. Indeed if the club wanted to raise more money, I’m sure people would have paid even more money to jump into a different tier. 

If you have unlimited membership, you have to differentiate within the membership too. I’m not sure how that’s a crazy suggestion.

15 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Based on what evidence? These cockney and Scousers all so minted they can spunked £36 on another teams memberships scheme on the off chance of getting a ticket to that one game? 

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Based on what evidence? These cockney and Scousers all so minted they can spunked £36 on another teams memberships scheme on the off chance of getting a ticket to that one game? 

Liverpool at home in 2019 was it?

so your tiered membership idea is based upon your previous attendance or is it a different cost?

In my theory - I’d prefer it to be based on previous attendance. I was merely suggesting cost for a way of the club to make more money.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Is Silverstone based on anything?

Looking at the profile when he joined he seems more to do with signing sommercial deals, signing Arsenal up to the All Or Nothing show rather than ticketing?

He's getting some flak, like [emoji38] he's meant to be a really good guy and not your typical commercial sleazebag. Obviously his job is to grow revenue but he's apparently a big picture person rather than an opportunist.

Commercial departments usually have input into general sale/memberships/season ticket plans but it's very small fry for them compared to sponsorships, partnerships and hospitality so clubs usually have a Head of Ticketing or equivalent to properly lead it. Arsenal had this until late 2021 at least (actually, they might still). NUFC don't appear to have that structure, from what I can tell, so he's likely to have more direct input into this. Either way, there's no way that Eales hasn't been across this in some form, even just for sign-off.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

19 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I’ll say it til I’m blue in the face and said it weeks ago. If you’re having unlimited memberships there has to be a tier element to it. 

Example:

Tier 1 - 10 membership home games and above (higher weighted ballot entry yet can still be unsuccessful on application) 

Tier 2 - 3 home membership games and above (higher weighted ballot entry, as above). 

Tier 3 - basic membership. (All can enter ballot and many will still get tickets).

Just as away ticket holders are now annoyed with the new away system, there should be something in place for more ‘loyal’ (dare I say it) home fans. Some of have spent well over £1000 in the last 2 seasons on membership and tickets for home games.

Yet, someone who fancies buying a membership in March, with a chance to watch Newcastle’s title run in (for example) with no ticketing history  and can enter a ballot and has the same % chance to a home ticket as someone who has been to various games over various seasons?

That is also not fair. Yet everyone should be in the same boat? It’s a missed trick imo. Indeed if the club wanted to raise more money, I’m sure people would have paid even more money to jump into a different tier. 

If you have unlimited membership, you have to differentiate within the membership too. I’m not sure how that’s a crazy suggestion.

All that'd happen here is more people would pay £60-80 for instance for Tier 1 and you'd get the same issue. The ones paying the £37 for the basic package would get very little. 

Think the membership is fine, imo. The Keegan days through to the ground extension in 2000, unless you were a Season Ticket holder, you simply couldn't go apart from the odd cup and European game. There was no 'picking where you sat', etc. 

I think having a ballot system where if you're not lucky enough to have a season ticket you have a decent chance to go still is perfectly fair. We knew the risks of walking away to get Ashley out at the time if a takeover ever occurred. It'll stay like this either until the hype dies down or we extend. The extension is the most likely to happen. 

The huge problem is not being able to at the very least pick a price category on a match to match basis. Not knowing if you're getting a £44 or £74 ticket until you buy it is wrong. Even if they gave the option to cancel within 24-48 hours for instance if you get the more expensive one then it goes back to the ballot or general sale, would be something even if still shite. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, TheGuv said:

In my theory - I’d prefer it to be based on previous attendance. I was merely suggesting cost for a way of the club to make more money.

So with previous attendance used it because becomes a quasi season ticket no? 

having it tiered by cost stratifies it and would really price out a lot of people. 

I think I’ve been in Singapore too long, we ballot for houses here :lol:

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

So with previous attendance used it because becomes a quasi season ticket no? 

having it tiered by cost stratifies it and would really price out a lot of people. 

I think I’ve been in Singapore too long, we ballot for houses here :lol:

Begin from this season then. If you want to keep it fair 🤷‍♂️

And bring the tier in next season.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

All that'd happen here is more people would pay £60-80 for instance for Tier 1 and you'd get the same issue. The ones paying the £37 for the basic package would get very little. 

Think the membership is fine, imo. The Keegan days through to the ground extension in 2000, unless you were a Season Ticket holder, you simply couldn't go apart from the odd cup and European game. There was no 'picking where you sat', etc. 

I think having a ballot system where if you're not lucky enough to have a season ticket you have a decent chance to go still is perfectly fair. We knew the risks of walking away to get Ashley out at the time if a takeover ever occurred. It'll stay like this either until the hype dies down or we extend. The extension is the most likely to happen. 

The huge problem is not being able to at the very least pick a price category on a match to match basis. Not knowing if you're getting a £44 or £74 ticket until you buy it is wrong. Even if they gave the option to cancel within 24-48 hours for instance if you get the more expensive one then it goes back to the ballot or general sale, would be something even if still shite. 

The current system can be workable in the short term with some changes. 

tickets are divided by price categories

you ballot for the price category accordingly (no nasty surprises and you can plan your finances properly). 

I think these changes would be a decent start as well as a lower entry price, ( I think prices had to go up slightly but the hike seems unreasonable). 

longer term it’s clear the supply is the issue and we need to expand or build a new stadium asap (that is IF we care about these issues). 

14 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Example:

the counter to this argument is when you’re lucky you get luckier.  If you’re initially unlucky you get unluckier.  I would personally like a membership scheme where over a season I am guaranteed a seat for at least 4-5 games even if it was then capped.  I think on all fronts (home and away) we should be looking to get as many different fans in over the season.  

Where I would offer priority to say someone who has held a membership for 5 years vs 1 is for the bigger games.   

Loyalty does not necessarily equate to the number of games a persons financial position or geographical location allows them to attend.  If they raised the base ticket price to £200 per game and a much smaller set of people could afford to go to every game would  that make them better off or loyal?  If some one is a fan living in Spain with a family who can only travel for 2 games a season but at a much bigger financial and time cost is he more or less loyal than some one jumping on a bus for 10 minutes?  

We are in a position where the ground is far too small for demand.  The ability to get a ticket should not become an even more closed shop.

I personally would also “never” release any more season tickets. If we increase capacity or when people do not renew put those into a the membership pool.