Memberships (2024/25)

ceolnamara

I don't really think there has to be a big fan-wide group agreement/protest/open-letter/flounce. If the box office are inundated with individual complaints/issues, they'll sharp change their tact.

Going off the awfulness of the ticketing website/login, one would hope a completely overhaul was in the works. Just buy whatever backend system Man City have.

But we do have to be transparent on these issues. If there are limitations right now that mean we can't do X/Y/Z, then say so and communicate when it'll change.

7 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Potentially it's the worst of both worlds.

If someone couldn't log on at 10am, or didn't have a friend who was available at 10am that they could link to, then now they've got to cross their fingers in the random ballot.

So how many people who were frustrated at being locked out by the old system, are now chuffed to be going to the Villa match ? Personally, I don't know a single one.

I've got maybe a 10% chance compared to zero. I'll take that.

21 minutes ago, patrone said:

That's not right to be fair, membership was a thing pre Ashley.

Not that it matters now like, but they've been a thing for years.

Think ur right sorry but was well in to the 00s before it was introduced I’m sure. 2007 maybe?

Sorry if this has been discussed, it’s all quite confusing. 

Me and my wife are both members. If I buy two tickets in the future through the ballot and she can’t go, am I able to take someone else or not? The person I would take is not a member. 

1 minute ago, Vaj said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, it’s all quite confusing. 

Me and my wife are both members. If I buy two tickets in the future through the ballot and she can’t go, am I able to take someone else or not? The person I would take is not a member. 

Officially no.

Unofficially….

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I've got maybe a 10% chance compared to zero. I'll take that.

Was there no-one you know who could have logged on at 10am and bought a ticket for you under the old system ? 

Even if you’d asked in here because you felt you had zero chance of a ticket whilst others were going to loads of games, am sure people would have taken some satisfaction helping you get one. 

I definitely would have tried for you. 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Officially no.

Unofficially….

That is what I assumed, nobody has ever checked names on tickets before so assumed it would unlikely be an issue if someone took her ticket. Feels like they’re over complicating certain aspects of it. 

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

Think ur right sorry but was well in to the 00s before it was introduced I’m sure. 2007 maybe?

The Nufc members tankard was 2007, and I'm sure they had membership a couple of seasons earlier ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, I know what you’re saying, as long as people admit there is a hierarchy of fans.

The problem is we were talking about fairness, and whether it was fair for one supporter to miss out when another doesn’t. If that’s the parameters of the conversation then STs have to be considered too. 

Some people made sacrifices, some were just lucky. People could have bought a season ticket at any time in previous seasons but they made the decision that it was better not to. Some couldn’t buy one because of personal or financial reasons. 

None of this makes it easier to decide who should go and who shouldn’t. 

If we think that loyalty should matter then clearly a random ballot isn’t the way to go. It’s just interesting in football that there’s one group (ST holders) who are considered untouchable and another who have no rights. 

Also given the incredible demand, people who have a ST could be more accurately described as privileged than loyal. Thousands of people would step into their shoes if they could. It’s a very interesting position. 

To be clear this is more a theoretical point because I know that ST holders will always be there and I really want to become one ASAP :lol:

I just think it’s interesting to discuss it in an era where demand is so high. Traditionally you would think of STs as something the club needs to sell in order to guarantee income. And those people would be valuable because they’ll commit money that other fans won’t. 

I wouldn’t called it a hierarchy. A ST is exactly what it is for those it suites. Someone willing to commit to a full season financially. From the the clubs point of view it’s a guarantee of income which without most clubs would fold like ours nearly did not that long ago in the early 90’s.

It’s a pretty easy decision for any club to renew STs as that’s seen and always will be seen as their loyal customer base. Now you may want to argue the semantics of loyalty but to a FC and most PLCs it is money. STs guarantee that.

What the club have actually got right arguably as much as it’s a frustration to yourself and others is not to sell any more STs after that initial 1000 they sold (which arguably caused more division etc than it was worth). If you think it’s frustrating being a supporter now you (not you specifically) should’ve been around during the mid 90’s under KK with a 36K stadium. It was a lock out. To such an extent the EPL brought rules in going forward I believe that going forward provision had to be made for people who couldn’t afford a full season just one off games. However when we expanded the ground the club didn’t gamble on match to match tickets for the extra 15-16k seats. They knew the importance of regular income and iirc sold around 12-13k STSs with the majority from a 5yr waiting list. Leaving only a fraction for match to match sales.

This time the club had took what those without STs should see as a much fairer approach. They’ve not been locked out. They should in theory all get equal amount of games (3-5) over the season (to be judged) all paying the same amount for the privilege (£37 adult £17 or whatever child) which is the clubs way of earning some guaranteed income it would normally get from STs. It does have its flaws though… The main being the ability to choose where you can sit and the lack of flexibility of at what price. Fix those issues (the price one is only half fixed) and close off memberships this Friday and it’s as bout as fair as you can get in the bigger picture of the clubs rebirth and wanting to grow its fanbase. However they don’t want to stop there…

They are going to make concerted efforts to grow the fan base home and abroad despite the over subscription already (33k STs approx 57k Memberships approx) of getting a theoretical 90k into a 49k home allocation. Probably nearer 47k actually if you factored in corporate allocations. So I can’t see them closing it and are willing to take the chance that the odd game in the meantime until stadium is expanded (or my believe a new one built) will fall into the hands of away fans.

Again I wouldn’t say privileged. Fortunate at best. Life is like that. Full of sliding doors moments. You’ve just got to remind yourself and be thankful these doors aren’t locked all season. Think of all those who got almost 19 EPL tickets last season using multiple browsers/devices. Is that privilege over those unable to do that or just fortunate? Has it been the figures reported by all these dummy devices (some people using 80!?) that has inadvertently dictated the clubs new policy? Who knows if that’s a paradox or not.

What is a paradox is ultimately more people seemed happier last season with what was on paper a less fairer system. Is that because being fairly regular goers and attuned to the workings of the system the system could be worked to benefit to an extent? Multiple browsers, friends with STs able to not guarantee success but certainly multiply it if organised and have willing aides. Privilege or just fortunate?

Another positive for those without STs is that club is slowly “coming for them”. I’ve had 2 price rises under the new ownership from £460-£610-£690 approx. Memberships have been removed so unable to buy a ticket if you wanted to take someone and unable to buy a membership for the privilege of taking someone. Massively reduced flexibility in sharing with only halve the games allowed and to restricted number (6 I think) friends and family. This will likely tighten. Fine for some but unnecessarily troublesome for many families I’d imagine. The club know this as they want them to buy memberships and apply for extra tickets through the ballot. 

You’ve hit nail on the head with last paragraph. It’s a interesting discussion when demand is high but not an issue for discussion when demand is low and a necessity for most clubs including ours not that long ago.

11 minutes ago, patrone said:

The Nufc members tankard was 2007, and I'm sure they had membership a couple of seasons earlier ?‍♂️

Regardless it’s a revenue vehicle nothing more. 

58 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I went to all the Anglo Italian Cup games. I was one of the 4,609 at SJP for the Cesena match. That's case closed.

No one cares about your PES football history

1 hour ago, patrone said:

That's not right to be fair, membership was a thing pre Ashley.

Not that it matters now like, but they've been a thing for years.

The current Membership came in around 1999/2000 IIRC. I’ve still got my original membership number. One of the selling points was to go on the season ticket waiting list. I then got a season ticket after the expansion to 52k.

For anyone wondering what the club’s official line is, I got a bland copy n paste response after politely contacting some of the leadership.

It’s not addressing the key detail behind their decision but headlines are:

- Demand is greater than supply

- We consulted with fans in ticketing meetings and there was frustration they couldn’t get tickets last season 

- We’re not planning any system change

- We’ve logged your concern 

- Visit the fan zone when we build it 

- DJ Otzi will be played after every goal 

I like to think that I’ve made my point, even if it’s falling on deaf ears for now.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

For anyone wondering what the club’s official line is, I got a bland copy n paste response after politely contacting some of the leadership. It’s not addressing the key issues about but headlines are:

- We consulted with fans in ticketing meetings and there was frustration they couldn’t get tickets last season 

I like to think that I’ve made my point, even if it’s falling on deaf ears for now.

So they aren't ever going to let people select their own seats? Wow. 

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I went to all the Anglo Italian Cup games. I was one of the 4,609 at SJP for the Cesena match. That's case closed.

I was on the pitch for that one trying to break up the fight. 

Probably a lifetime ban nowadays......if I could get in of course.

8 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

For anyone wondering what the club’s official line is, I got a bland copy n paste response after politely contacting some of the leadership.

It’s not addressing the key detail behind their decision but headlines are:

What's a DJ Otzi

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What's a DJ Otzi

It’s the worst music ever created in the history of mankind.

Will create more ear distress and nausea than if you were to hear your parents having sex in the kitchen whilst you sat with your mates and watched Byker Grove on telly in the living room 

Edited by bobbydazzla

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

It’s the worst music ever created in the history of mankind.

Will create more ear distress and nausea than if you were to hear your parents having sex in the kitchen whilst you sat with your mates and watched Byker Grove on telly in the living room 

That happened to you didn’t it ?

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

So they aren't ever going to let people select their own seats? Wow. 

Seems like it

The question remains as to why, when every other stadium in the land allows attendees to select a seat 

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Ah but did you go to Lucchese away ? 1-1 Quinn maybe ?

I drove there. Fucking great trip.

Memory hazy but think went to Charlton away at Upton Park on way home the following weekend (when Charlton were displaced from The valley?) Won 3-1 

5 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Seems like it

The question remains as to why, when every other stadium in the land allows attendees to select a seat 

Well it's basically a decision that keeps me out of SJP indefinitely. I bet I won't be the only one too, as people quickly get pissed off with being shoved into a seat that they hate.

So is the lack of being able to choose a seat down to Silverstone, seen it mentioned this was the system he’s parachuted in from his time at Arsenal, but as with all these things is that actually correct does anyone know.

It would be interesting if Arsenal fans weren’t able to choose their own seat how that went down and is it still the case.

Got to say it’s a strange arrangement and just smacks of the easiest option at short notice.

Edited by Whitley mag