UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

14 hours ago, Heron said:

I don't think it's anything to do with 'dumbing it down' to be honest. It's working with people's relevant size. Just seems a tad over-defensive putting it the way you have tbh.

I think it is dumbing it down personally. There's no reason to make things smaller. Females are more than capable of playing football on the same size pitch as males and with the same size goals. And the quality will improve the more young girls choose to play and then look to turn professional. Look at the jump in quality in the past 10 years alone in England.

I'm very wary personally of males deciding that it's a bit of a stretch for females who are a bit smaller to do the same thing males do. It's been one of the main problems in our society since day dot and one of the main reasons females have struggled to have the same opportunities or be seen as equal as males. Getting in to the likes of relative wrist strength etc seems a bit too eager to look for negatives where there isnt really any, imo.

I’m not sure the size of the goals is that much of an issue. Height of keepers is offset by the fact shot power is usually lower too. If you make the goals smaller there would probably be a lot fewer goals.

Golf has shorter tee boxes, Volleyball has lower nets, Tennis has fewer sets. 

Havings slightly smaller goals isn't really dumbing down the sport. Can probably count on one hand the amount of women over 6ft I've come across in my life. There's not going to be a sudden influx of them who are capable of wanting to be professional goalkeepers.

Youth boys football has the same issue. It's nothing really to do with sex. We went from 7 aside goals straight to full size mens goal at like 11 year old. You'd get people just scoring from the halfway line and all sorts of ridiculous goals going in. For a few years your just exploit short keepers and take long shots aiming high. 

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think it is dumbing it down personally. There's no reason to make things smaller. Females are more than capable of playing football on the same size pitch as males and with the same size goals. And the quality will improve the more young girls choose to play and then look to turn professional. Look at the jump in quality in the past 10 years alone in England.

I'm very wary personally of males deciding that it's a bit of a stretch for females who are a bit smaller to do the same thing males do. It's been one of the main problems in our society since day dot and one of the main reasons females have struggled to have the same opportunities or be seen as equal as males. Getting in to the likes of relative wrist strength etc seems a bit too eager to look for negatives where there isnt really any, imo.

I see the point you're making, but I think it is worth females considering for the female game. Which is what people are most likely getting at. Could be wrong, but I'm sure in the Olympics (for example) they won't go in at the same weight levels or increments for men and for women, men (on the whole) are physically stronger and larger than women. It's just the way it is. Otherwise, they'd be in the same competition too and most likely incapable of winning. Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule like. 

During this tournament, I haven't seen much to indicate goal size changes are necessary. Imagine the outcry if it was even suggested.

A lot of goalkeeping is about positioning and footwork. Most of the keepers i've seen have been pretty decent in both cases and women keepers, at least at this level, are more than capable of making acrobatic saves and taking crosses. Comparing them to their male counterparts is a bit strange and pointless, it's the women's game, leave them to it and enjoy it for what it is, a sport that is improving all the time.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

5 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

During this tournament, I haven't seen much to indicate goal size changes are necessary. Imagine the outcry if it was even suggested.

A lot of goalkeeping is about positioning and footwork. Most of the keepers i've seen have been pretty decent in both cases and women keepers, at least at this level, are more than capable of making acrobatic saves and taking crosses. Comparing them to their male counterparts is a bit strange and pointless, it's the women's game, leave them to it and enjoy it for what it is, a sport that is improving all the time.

For me it was more positioning and awareness that were the issues last night. The keepers were both fairly good. Especially ours.

Just now, Heron said:

For me it was more positioning and awareness that were the issues last night. The keepers were both fairly good. Especially ours.

Agree and that comes with coaching, time and experience, not changing fundamental physical aspects of the game which one or two seem to be suggesting.

22 minutes ago, Heron said:

I think, based on very little actual knowledge, that the position of goalkeeping is always going to be a position that suffers in a new game like women's football. It's not seen at a young age as the most exciting of positions. When you play 5 a side or whatever people dont really want to go in goal. I imagine in the female game there is a relatively small pool of goalkeepers to choose from. And thats why I think over time you'll see huge improvements in goalkeeping like we've seen from outfield players. Just about more competition, more availability, more experience etc. imo anyway.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think, based on very little actual knowledge, that the position of goalkeeping is always going to be a position that suffers in a new game like women's football. It's not seen at a young age as the most exciting of positions. When you play 5 a side or whatever people dont really want to go in goal. I cant imagine in the female game there is a relatively small pool of goalkeepers to choose from. And thats why I think over time you'll see huge improvements in goalkeeping like we've seen from outfield players. Just about more competition, more availability, more experience etc. imo anyway.

At my lad’s club (at under 7 level) not a single one of the girls ever want to go in goal, whereas all of the boys do. Think there’s a lot of sense in your post).

6 minutes ago, RealGoneKid said:

Cue lots of tabloid reaction about ze war 

War of the Roses

Never before in the history of football has so little been owed to so many

We will fight them on the pitches...

War birds

The Inter War Period

etc etc

I could be a tabloid headline writer. I did Nazi that coming.

I really enjoyed the game today. Recorded it so I could watch after work with a pint or two. Commentator said "Rauch" had a few days to get ready or something like that. My brain said the Krauts had a few days to get ready. Damn, I was laughing.

Sorry any German fans, I'm half German along with Italian. Nice game.

One observation, man there was alot of diving and such. Didn't see that in England-Sweden as much.

Edited by McDog
Mistake

9 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Women aren't physically equal to men though no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise. Be absolutely nothing wrong with having the goals and pitches a bit smaller.

Guest HTT II

Again, there is nothing wrong in having a debate about goal and pitch size in the women’s game. We debate about all kinds of stuff in the men’s game and a big debate right now in the kid’s game is about heading, apparently it is to be banned and any kid who heads a ball, the other team will get an indirect free-kick I think. It’s natural to get your head onto a cross or defending a corner for example.

We have to take new ideas into consideration here and think long-term and what improves the game, the players and the sport for those who invest in it on the stands, us fans.

They made goals smaller at certain age groups for kids to stop ridiculous scorelines, what that also did was also make it easier for any kid to go in goal and not be good, therefore reducing the scope for development.

Higher up, goals are huge and even a decent ‘keeper won’t have a chance against some kid with a hard shot hammering it towards goal. That also has an effect, because it demoralises the kid in goal and they quickly don’t want to be a ‘keeper anymore. It’s all about finding the right balance.

Edited by HTT II

12 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Women aren't physically equal to men though no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise. Be absolutely nothing wrong with having the goals and pitches a bit smaller.

And nearer the kitchen