Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest Howaythetoon

A few of them early 'boro signings were disasters. Branco, Emerson and Karambeu were pretty dissapointing for them. They all slated the club and local area too. Relegated in 96/97 with Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho in their team.

They weren’t exactly top players, for them of course, but in world football they weren’t. Juninho was for example was no better than Kinkladze. Ravanelli was a good striker, but not on a par with Shearer and Emerson was bang average I thought. They did play some canny stuff mind.

Ravanelli was an incredible signing. He was at his peak and he'd just scored for the winners in the Champions League final, and this was when Serie A was the place to be.

Took to the league straight away n all. I loved him.

For a nowt club Boro have at least dabbled with being ridiculous and have had some great players. Boksic was absolutely class too even if he was made of popadoms. At total odds with the Mackems who just wanted XI hardmen to play kick and rush.

Remember Boro getting a 3-3 at Old Trafford and it being a brilliant game. Didn’t really mind them at all until McClaren era.

A few of them early 'boro signings were disasters. Branco, Emerson and Karambeu were pretty dissapointing for them. They all slated the club and local area too. Relegated in 96/97 with Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho in their team.

They weren’t exactly top players, for them of course, but in world football they weren’t. Juninho was for example was no better than Kinkladze. Ravanelli was a good striker, but not on a par with Shearer and Emerson was bang average I thought. They did play some canny stuff mind.

Juninho was a ridiculous signing. Was a young kid already playing for Brazil a year after USA 94, and he went to Boro. Was way above the level & reputation of Kinkladze at the time they joined their clubs.

Ravanelli was an incredible signing. He was at his peak and he'd just scored for the winners in the Champions League final, and this was when Serie A was the place to be.

For a nowt club Boro have at least dabbled with being ridiculous and have had some great players. Boksic was absolutely class too even if he was made of popadoms. At total odds with the Mackems who just wanted XI hardmen to play kick and rush.

Remember Boro getting a 3-3 at Old Trafford and it being a brilliant game. Didn’t really mind them at all until McClaren era.

Even then they were a good side. Southgate, Ehiogu, Zenden, Mendieta, Juninho second spell, and they had goalscorers in Yakubu, Viduka & JFH.

Guest Howaythetoon

Juninho was a ridiculous signing. Was a young kid already playing for Brazil a year after USA 94, and he went to Boro. Was way above the level & reputation of Kinkladze at the time they joined their clubs.

Aye, but in terms of his performances for Boro, he was no world-star, none of them were.

Ravanelli was underrated in Italy, he was allowed to leave Juventus for a reason. He was a goalscorer, but nit a top player like a Shearer for example.

Juninho was the epitome of hype back in the day, a MOTD highlights player. My mate is a 30 + year season ticket holder at Boro, a former youth player of theirs and a former director and he says he would regularly disappoint, they all would. Didn’t Ravanelli dry up goals wise after a great start?

Aye, but in terms of his performances for Boro, he was no world-star, none of them were.

Ravanelli was underrated in Italy, he was allowed to leave Juventus for a reason. He was a goalscorer, but nit a top player like a Shearer for example.

Juninho was the epitome of hype back in the day, a MOTD highlights player. My mate is a 30 + year season ticket holder at Boro, a former youth player of theirs and a former director and he says he would regularly disappoint, they all would. Didn’t Ravanelli dry up goals wise after a great start?

Ravanelli got 31 goals in all competitions that season :lol:

Guest neesy111

Your making this up.

Guest Howaythetoon

Loads of cup goals, anyway he was always a hero of mine growing up, just looking back he was not a top top player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your making this up.

No

Loads of cup goals, anyway he was always a hero of mine growing up, just looking back he was not a top top player.

Aye, "only" 17 in the league

The relegation season Juninho was brilliant. If he’d been at NUFC for example as Beardsley’s replacement that season surrounded by other good players, he’d have been even better. Boro had two top class players, Emerson was canny, but they were surrounded by the likes of Whyte, Vickers, Liddle & Stamp. The fact they had the 6th best scoring record in the league and worst defensive record backs that up.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think HTT just compares everything in football to Shearer/Keegan/SBR

Maybe :lol:

I just don’t remember those players being top top players. Kinkladze was a better player than Juninho ever was for example!

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye, "only" 17 in the league

I take it back then :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

The relegation season Juninho was brilliant. If he’d been at NUFC for example as Beardsley’s replacement that season surrounded by other good players, he’d have been even better. Boro had two top class players, Emerson was canny, but they were surrounded by the likes of Whyte, Vickers, Liddle & Stamp. The fact they had the 6th best scoring record in the league and worst defensive record backs that up.

Aye they had some dross like, and Robson as manager! Stamp at the time was considered a prospect, anyone remember Noel Whelan? At the time he was also considered a prospect, the next Shearer according to Shoot. Anyway, they were happy days!

Guest neesy111

Even then they were a good side. Southgate, Ehiogu, Zenden, Mendieta, Juninho second spell, and they had goalscorers in Yakubu, Viduka & JFH.

Won a trophy and got to 5 cup finals in total under Steve Gibson, that's more than what we've done in cup completions.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yakubu’s my guilty pleasure. Love a goalscorer and he did it at almost everywhere he went over here. Even when he went down with Blackburn he was one of the top scorers in the league.

Aye, what a player he was. The Nigerian Pele :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Boksic was insane in his day back in Italy, world-class in terms of his all-round game. They had Festa too. How good was Mendieta in his prime too, strange latter career!