João Pedro

You see all the fuss made over both Richarlison and Raphina this summer, with people on here saying we should be going for them and it's just funny.

If we had gone for either when Everton and Leeds first signed them, it would have been some of the same rhetoric we have seen recently.

Chris Wood mark 2, we're going for cheaper options, where is the ambition, they can't score, not good enough, we should be aiming for Europe ... just no foresight or trust in any kind of scouting or projections for players that don't have the obvious stats to look at.

Does it not bother you that clubs are out there are identifying such players when it isn't as obvious to everyone else? 

It's about time we started doing much more of this. We finally seem to be trying to do so and it has led to rampant bed wetting everywhere ...

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think anyone would have queried Richarlison or Raphina like, but who knows.

Ha!!!

Go and look at their stats prior to their moves to Everton and Leeds.

Are you kidding me? Come on man.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Richarlison maybe, but I remember a lot of 'fucking hell, how the fuck have Leeds have signed Raphina!?' posts when that happened

I find that really hard to believe. Certainly not on here. If so it would have been very few.

As most seem to go straight to number of goals and assist and instantly right players off based on that.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Oh sorry, didn't see the 'before they signed them' bit.

Ah, right! Yeah, that is the key bit because they went to both Everton and Leeds and produced right away, despite not showing anywhere near that kind of production previously.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You see all the fuss made over both Richarlison and Raphina this summer, with people on here saying we should be going for them and it's just funny.

If we had gone for either when Everton and Leeds first signed them, it would have been some of the same rhetoric we have seen recently.

Chris Wood mark 2, we're going for cheaper options, where is the ambition, they can't score, not good enough, we should be aiming for Europe ... just no foresight or trust in any kind of scouting or projections for players that don't have the obvious stats to look at.

Does it not bother you that clubs are out there are identifying such players when it isn't as obvious to everyone else? 

It's about time we started doing much more of this. We finally seem to be trying to do so and it has led to rampant bed wetting everywhere ...

Tbf I hadn’t seen Richarlison or Raphinha before they signed for Everton & Leeds, however I have seen Joao Pedro a number of times and have never really been impressed so it’s not really comparable 

Just now, gdm said:

Tbf I hadn’t seen Richarlison or Raphinha before they signed for Everton & Leeds, however I have seen Joao Pedro a number of times and have never really been impressed so it’s not really comparable 

Come on man ... 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

As most seem to go straight to number of goals and assist and instantly right players off based on that.

I don't know, I see fbref used a lot on here. Not sure if that's a recent development as I have only been here since early this year, but you rarely (if ever) see it referred to on places like r/NUFC (where I used hang out before I came here). 

Let's just get the lad signed first, we can worry about his future greatness/failure once he's on our books. At this point just about every forward we've been linked with seems to be blocked and deleted before the rumours even get lukewarm.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Come on man ... 

I get the point you are making but like Ekitike & Ramos I don’t know much about them so there is an intriguing excitement there but I’ve seen Joao Pedro struggle to get in to games and have an impact even in the championship as recently as the last two games and it’s just meh. I’m all for him proving me wrong but simple fact is when I’ve watched him I’ve rarely been impressed. See how he does tonight 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

I get the point you are making but like Ekitike & Ramos I don’t know much about them so there is an intriguing excitement there but I’ve seen Joao Pedro struggle to get in to games and have an impact even in the championship as recently as the last two games and it’s just meh. I’m all for him proving me wrong but simple fact is when I’ve watched him I’ve rarely been impressed. See how he does tonight 

That's fair.

There's been some really strange stuff posted in here regarding the guy though. 

Purely off of him not being an obvious name with already high production. It's just very short sighted.

But let him go to a team like Brentford or Southampton and perform well then next summer folks will be getting annoyed we aren't 'pushing the boat out' for him.

The Chris wood comparisons are getting taken way out of proportion and context. For me at least I mentioned him in that we would have two strikers that don’t score goals. Other than that there is zero comparison 

Guest reefatoon

Bellamy is more of a shout. Went to Coventry and was rubbish. We bought him and not many people were arsed and thought he was canny shite. He ended up massive for us. Sometimes players move to the wrong club and it just doesn’t click and sometimes they move to the right fitting club and shine. Let’s give the lad a chance to see what he can do if he signs.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Bellamy is more of a shout. Went to Coventry and was rubbish. We bought him and not many people were arsed and thought he was canny shite. He ended up massive for us. Sometimes players move to the wrong club and it just doesn’t click and sometimes they move to the right fitting club and shine. Let’s give the lad a chance to see what he can do if he signs.

Aye Bellamy was an underwhelming signing that turned out to be a brilliant one

19 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

This one is right down the middle for me. Any comparisons to Chris Wood are daft  but suggesting he is as highly regarded as someone like Ekitike also seems to be well wide of the mark. 

I'll put my hand up and say I mentioned him in the same sentence as Ekitike.

But I meant more in the type of player were going for - young, seemingly the right physical attributes, potential to develop, rather than whether they were comparable at all as players. 

As for whether they're any good (either of them), couldn't tell you. And I've no idea how I'd compare the two given their different experiences to date if I had to either.

I do think it's interesting Watford want more than £20m for him anyway. Maybe they really do desperately need a 20 year old to lead the line in the Championship, or they see something in him. Or possibly they're trying it on of course.

Guest HTT II

In an ideal world we’d upgrade on most of our players, but Wilson if fit gets you 15 + goals a season guaranteed and at 29/30 it’s a waste to have someone like that on your bench who will eventually end up leaving on a free or for next to nowt so if we can keep him fit it makes sense to get a good 2 years or so extra out of him and invest in a younger forward to replace him eventually. A, on current form or past form for us, 25/27 year old Wilson would cost what, 50m or so? We are being quoted that and more for the likes of Isak who isn’t proven in the PL, albeit he’s younger, but to get that calibre of striker and goals return is probably out of our budget right now. 

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I'll put my hand up and say I mentioned him in the same sentence as Ekitike.

But I meant more in the type of player were going for - young, seemingly the right physical attributes, potential to develop, rather than whether they were comparable at all as players. 

As for whether they're any good (either of them), couldn't tell you. And I've no idea how I'd compare the two given their different experiences to date if I had to either.

I do think it's interesting Watford want more than £20m for him anyway. Maybe they really do desperately need a 20 year old to lead the line in the Championship, or they see something in him. Or possibly they're trying it on of course.

If he was shit I'm pretty sure they'd happily accept £20m. If we just step back a bit and read what people in the know are saying, then it seems he's highly rated. Forget our scouting team, Watford fans are saying he's good. We have a Brazilian poster who rates him very highly. Those alone are enough to tell me he must be a lot better than people are assuming.

Guest HTT II
13 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

He wasn’t rubbish, he just didn’t score many goals, their fans liked him at the time and he was highly rated.