João Pedro

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Help me out here, which players have Chelsea had confirmed bids for, same players at the same time? Not ‘links’ actual confirmed bids.
Not trying to start a row, genuinely wondering.

Reason I’m discounting links is because it’s clearly bollox over 99% of the time so useless as any kind of data.

Good question. Not sure about the timing but Chelsea have gone from Ake, Kounde to Koulibaly and Fofana. I think they moved down the list rather than at the same time. And they need multiple CB's so going for multiple at the same time makes sense.

Although our Ramos bid isn't confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean I do get people wanting us to make great signings and being disappointed if we don't, I just don't see where people are coming from with their disappointment of Joao Pedro, other than his goal record at a young age I cannot see what they're basing their disappointment off?

The fact we didn't go for Dennis or Cornet despite their relatively low fees should be a decent indicator that anyone we are going for is a very high target we'll know a lot about. 

Tbh im mainly just concerned about goals. If he came in along side a really top winger or midfield player that contributes goals and assists I wouldn’t be too bothered. I worry we are blowing most of the remaining budget on potential 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Raphinha 

De Jong

Kounde 

Ake 

Kimpembe

There might be others too.

This was a very cursory search:

Raphinha is a winger

De Jong a CM

other 3 CBs

1st they went in for Kimpembe, no agreement.

Ake was after, when the was knocked back because MC wanted too much they switched to Kounde. Definite gap between Ake and Kounde it seems (just from,a cursory Google)

How,are Chelsea gonna convince Kounde he’s gonna be their star defender and bedrock of their team if they’re bidding for someone lose at the same time?
I would’ve thought that would hurt a players ego.

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, gdm said:

Tbh im mainly just concerned about goals. If he came in along side a really top winger or midfield player that contributes goals and assists I wouldn’t be too bothered. I worry we are blowing most of the remaining budget on potential 

That’s the thing. Don’t worry about that as we don’t know what the budget or the plans are. Let’s just see it play out and see what happens. It’s not a time to be worrying, we’ve had 15 years of that. We will have a plan now and I am sure they know what they are wanting to do and how they want to plan it. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, reefatoon said:

That’s the thing. Don’t worry about that as we don’t know what the budget or the plans are. Let’s just see it play out and see what happens. It’s not a time to be worrying, we’ve had 15 years of that. We will have a plan now and I am sure they know what they are wanting to do and how the want to plan it. Onwards and upwards.

That is a fair point 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Any striker we bring in is probably going to be raw or unproven though as most won't want to sit behind Wilson for another couple of year. I imagine we would still be looking to bring in either a winger or a central midfielder though.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Good question. Not sure about the timing but Chelsea have gone from Ake, Kounde to Koulibaly and Fofana. I think they moved down the list rather than at the same time. And they need multiple CB's so going for multiple at the same time makes sense.

Although our Ramos bid isn't confirmed.

Yeah, I’m wondering if Ramos is us. 
If we can afford both so those surely we’d have enough for a higher Maddison bid.

I am not disappointed in the Pedro link or bid 

I will be disappointed if we miss out again with low ball bids/valuations again 

It appears our strategy is to monitor for weeks / months ….then low bid ..,.then radio silence …..walk away 

we’ve had multiple weeks to negotiate with Watford fo come to an agreement ??  But for some reason we think are low valuations need to be met ?? 

I still trust the process but I am struggling to see how we make a breakthrough 

Pedro must be quite a way down the list or we would of tried earlier in the window be sold they Denis ?

Probably the wrong thread for this but the deals we've done have all been good business at a good price bar Wood (not getting in to the debate about his impact but I think most agree 25m wasn't good value).

It is the deals we haven't got done which are a concern. Ekitike was clearly out of their hands so no issue there.

But in the case of Maddison, Gordon, Harrison (depending on what you believe) we have clearly been a touch scattergun in our approach.

Our bid for Maddison defies all logic really. First bid reported to be 35-40 million, well below the 60m asking price. We then followed that up with a bid in the region of 40-50 million, again nowhere near their asking price only to now seemingly moved on from him all together.

I think we've done some great business and getting blind sided by Ekitike has definitely had an impact. I don't think our reaction to that deal falling through has been great. 

Be interesting to see how the next two weeks play out.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

It feels like a learning experience to a certain extent, you aren't going to get a PL rival to give you their best player unless you let them absolutely rinse you on the fee.

Hard to say really, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. We do seem to be struggling, whether that's because of a lack of expertise or a bit of a naive expectation about how other teams will deal. 

There was a lot of talk of teams increasing their asking price in January, I don't know how true it all is but we could just be making a point that we will walk away from deals as soon as clubs go beyond our price. From the outside looking in the perception of us has changed massively.

Like we can go in for Madison at our price, what's the worst that can happen? Either we get lucky and they agree, or they refuse and we walk away and the narrative around us continues to change. It's annoying from a fan perspective as part of the transfer window is the spectacle of it all, but from the club's perspective it might make a lot more sense.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

There was a lot of talk of teams increasing their asking price in January, I don't know how true it all is but we could just be making a point that we will walk away from deals as soon as clubs go beyond our price. From the outside looking in the perception of us has changed massively.

Like we can go in for Madison at our price, what's the worst that can happen? Either we get lucky and they agree, or they refuse and we walk away and the narrative around us continues to change. It's annoying from a fan perspective as part of the transfer window is the spectacle of it all, but from the club's perspective it might make a lot more sense.

This is such a problem btw. It just breeds anxiety, a lot of it unfounded.

I'm still optimistic and excited to see what the squad looks like come September 2nd.

17 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

This is such a problem btw. It just breeds anxiety, a lot of it unfounded.

I'm still optimistic and excited to see what the squad looks like come September 2nd.

I think that most of this anxiety is quite unfounded, just as most of the sniping at Howe was. Expectations have increased so much, which is fine, but I’m a just a bit baffled by some views on here. I mean, there are posters already warning us that we will lose Bruno, which is just utterly absurd at this point.  Just like in politics, I just see a trend of cynicism permeate in so many places that is disconcerting, to say the least (and invariably they will say that they are championing realism, which is often far from the case).

Given the hellscape we just came from, we have every reason to be optimistic. I have never been so relaxed about a transfer window.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

46 minutes ago, Lotus said:

As another poster said before, some people are being blinded by the romance of the takeover.

I’m sure everyone is happy with AS and MG and the direction of the club.

I know I am. It’s chalk and cheese. I’m totally into football again.

Doesn’t mean the new team are incapable of making a misstep though.

And while that’s easy to agree with ‘in theory’ peeps can be unwilling to actually call out a fuck up for what it is seen as going against the crowd.

Pope - good

Burn - good

Trippier - good (since injury, very good before)

Targett - good

Bruno - very good
Wood - awful

rest of forwards recruitment strategy - appears disjointed and puzzling

I don't think so. We look at what they have actually done, which is (amongst others) to bring in a competent manager, DoF, CEO, back five (you casually forgot Botman btw) and central midfielder investing their own (not the club's) money. Perhaps they have deserved a bit of trust and patience?

reactions are inevitable let's be honest, we started the window linked with the likes of Diaby then Maddison but they're all too expensive now we appear to be working our way down the list Ashley-style and none of us know the actual plan

ostensibly it looks like we're settling for cheaper cause we have to but it could be that we're going for players who we wanted anyway but viewed as longer term propositions and will go back for the "better" guys later on i.e. when maddison contract closer to up and so on

or we're just panicking and trying to get bodies in who knows

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I don't think so. We look at what they have actually done, which is (amongst others) to bring in a competent manager, DoF, CEO, back five (you casually forgot Botman btw) and central midfielder investing their own (not the club's) money. Perhaps they have deserved a bit of trust and patience?

Really liked the look of Botman on YT but the fact is he hasn’t played for us.

I’ll be sensible and judge him after a run of games. 

38 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Nah, if that was Almiron he would have cut back onto his left foot by which point the move has completely broken down :sigh: 

Ignore the point in order to have a dig. We're talking about Pedro. I'm referring to the fact that we need somebody getting into that position to make the most of Bruno's obvious understanding with Almiron. Everytime Almiron has got into that position he's got one player to aim for, and that same oplayer is the only one the defence need to worry about. Messi would struggle to get assists at the moment.

Fair enough, it's Maxi with the pass and he does pull it back onto his left, but the ball is there. Where is the player?

https://youtu.be/qBxXbugN9EI 

21 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

reactions are inevitable let's be honest, we started the window linked with the likes of Diaby then Maddison but they're all too expensive now we appear to be working our way down the list Ashley-style and none of us know the actual plan

ostensibly it looks like we're settling for cheaper cause we have to but it could be that we're going for players who we wanted anyway but viewed as longer term propositions and will go back for the "better" guys later on i.e. when maddison contract closer to up and so on

or we're just panicking and trying to get bodies in who knows

To go from Diaby and Maddison to Joao Pedro will leave people dissappointed. JP could go on to be better than them both but today it looks like we've lowered our ambitions.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

To go from Diaby and Maddison to Joao Pedro will leave people dissappointed. JP could go on to be better than them both but today it looks like we've lowered our ambitions.

This is fair, like, and it was much the same in January when we thought we were getting Diego Carlos/Botman, Digne, and someone like Isak then ended up with Burn, Targett, and Wood. It was fairly underwhelming but thankfully turned out very well.

It's also why I'm still pretty relaxed about everything, though. Only Wood has been a duffer so far, individually speaking, and we've now brought in seven players. If they can keep that sort of record up when not being able to get the #1 targets, for whatever reason, then we'll keep progressing nicely.

I don't think we'll be signing anyone without having done plenty of research into them and feeling like they'll improve the squad or first team, it just won't happen under Howe and the others. Pedro will have always been on the list.