Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

Jones has been like that since he came into the national team, I used to absolutely hate him actually :lol: On current form at least, his size and strength makeup for irrational decisions going forward. Would be nice if Holden can get himself in the mix too.

We have good selection problems though, for once.

Any reason why Mexico have picked a reserve team for the Gold Cup?

Seems like the team that plays in the Confederations Cup tends to send a B squad to the Gold Cup.

This is generally the B team Gold Cup, there's no entrance to the Confed Cup like there will be in two years, so most teams pick a B team. The Confed Cup team has no choice, no way you can get a player in two tournaments in one summer, clubs get pissed.

Seems like it would make more sense to just make it every 4 years like all the cool continents do.

Holding it in a different country would be a start.

USA own all the others ones, nee point.

True, don't want those pesky commies in your backyard after all.

They should keep the one that qualifies for the Confederations Cup and consolidate the other tournament into a new 16 team Copa America featuring the ten members of the South American federation and the six teams that makes up the last round of North American World Cup qualification.

Also, the World Cup should move to 40 teams, with 24 sides (a certain number from each Confederation, maybe the highest ranked teams from that federation in addition to the host) given automatic passage to the group stage and the remaining 16 made to play single match knockout games to determine the remaining 8 places, whose placement in the group shall be decided beforehand. More nations, more knockout football, more excitement, longer World Cup.

I am a revolutionary.

I don't like the idea of anybody automatically making the World Cup on a ranking system, nevermind over half of them. Unless I've mistaken you.

Surprised you didn't bite at my 2 year continental cycle jibe.

I don't like the idea of anybody automatically making the World Cup on a ranking system, nevermind over half of them. Unless I've mistaken you.

Surprised you didn't bite at my 2 year continental cycle jibe.

No, the qualification is the same as now, except there are eight extra spots. 24 spots are automatically guaranteed entry to the group stages. This will be done based on continental distribution and the rankings within that continent (the top 3 ranked CAF qualifiers, top 7 ranked UEFA qualifiers, etc.) The remaining 16 sides have a playoff to be inserted to already decided groups.

:lol: I want to be the biggest man here.

Seems like it would make more sense to just make it every 4 years like all the cool continents do.

Save Canada, no other country in CONCACAF is capable of hosting it. :lol:

Save Canada, no other country in CONCACAF is capable of hosting it. :lol:

Mexico--two World Cups, but the Gold Cup is entirely beyond them.

Actually, I remember a few years ago the tournament was co-hosted by the US and Mexico.