Open Wide For Some Soccer! - Poch to the Yanks.

Mike

A decent observation from one of the commentators on the Shinguardian preview.

One more thing yall, and then I’ll hush up (I’m excited/antsy and over-rationalizing!)

The USA and Ghana have played a combined 15 consecutive World Cup games that were either tied or won/lost by a single goal. No +-1 scenario eliminates USA w/o tiebreakers. The most dangerous is “GER+1 , GHA +1″ in which case we just have to score more than Ghana (time to bust out the “vier vor drei” (4-3) shirts!)

USA|| consecutive draw/+-1 results

1) 1-1 v ITA

2) 1-2 v GHA

3) 1-1 v ENG

4) 2-2 v SLO

5) 1-0 v ALG

6) 1-2 v GHA

7) 2-1 v GHA

8) 2-2 v POR

Ghana|| consecutive draw/+-1 results

1) 1-0 v SRB

2) 1-1 v AUS

3) 0-1 v GER

4) 2-1 v USA

5) 1-1 v URU

6) 1-2 v USA

7) 2-2 v GER

Gives me some hope. We can lose and still go through-- provided both games are decided by single goal, correct?

If we lose by 1 and Ghana wins by 1 and both games have the same score (i.e. 0-1, 1-0; 1-2, 2-1), it'll go to a coin toss. Ghana wins by any more than we lose by, they're through.

Really? I thought it went to head-to-head before coin toss.

A decent observation from one of the commentators on the Shinguardian preview.

One more thing yall, and then I’ll hush up (I’m excited/antsy and over-rationalizing!)

The USA and Ghana have played a combined 15 consecutive World Cup games that were either tied or won/lost by a single goal. No +-1 scenario eliminates USA w/o tiebreakers. The most dangerous is “GER+1 , GHA +1″ in which case we just have to score more than Ghana (time to bust out the “vier vor drei” (4-3) shirts!)

USA|| consecutive draw/+-1 results

1) 1-1 v ITA

2) 1-2 v GHA

3) 1-1 v ENG

4) 2-2 v SLO

5) 1-0 v ALG

6) 1-2 v GHA

7) 2-1 v GHA

8) 2-2 v POR

Ghana|| consecutive draw/+-1 results

1) 1-0 v SRB

2) 1-1 v AUS

3) 0-1 v GER

4) 2-1 v USA

5) 1-1 v URU

6) 1-2 v USA

7) 2-2 v GER

Gives me some hope. We can lose and still go through-- provided both games are decided by single goal, correct?

If we lose by 1 and Ghana wins by 1 and both games have the same score (i.e. 0-1, 1-0; 1-2, 2-1), it'll go to a coin toss. Ghana wins by any more than we lose by, they're through.

Really? I thought it went to head-to-head before coin toss.

Nah, unfortunately. Points --> GD --> goals scored --> coin toss.

Checked.

According to Nate Silver

Ghana would also advance if both games are decided by one goal but Ghana’s is higher scoring. For instance, if Ghana beats Portugal 2-1 but the U.S. loses to Germany 1-0, then Ghana would advance on the basis of the goals-scored tiebreaker by having scored five goals throughout the group stage to the United States’ four.

So we need goals.

He did in the first minute of the game... but yeah, in general he was good. Made some crucial front post interceptions on the low crosses.

Missed it, the whiff on the cross? Almost pulled a Cameron v. Portugal there.

It's Ann Coulter, man. She's the American conservative equivalent of that girl who sucks dick to get attention.

Where can I find this girl?

Sucking Satan's cock in the depths of hell.

I'm delighted that was her tbh, immediately strips the article of even the merest sliver of truth it might possess.

I see a lot of 2002 Korea in this US team. Not particularly good at football but well-drilled, well-coached, and want it more than everybody else.

Think the biggest test might actually come against an opponent where they think they're not the underdog. ex) Algeria

I see a lot of 2002 Korea in this US team. Not particularly good at football but well-drilled, well-coached, and want it more than everybody else.

Think the biggest test might actually come against an opponent where they think they're not the underdog. ex) Algeria

This team does not have fourteen on the pitch like that Korean team....

This team does not have fourteen on the pitch like that Korean team....

12 years later, and the rest of the world is still bitter :yao:

shut the fuck up, Mike.

:lol:

:lol: God damn.

:lol: You're lucky as shit. Either your jinx is completely ineffective, or the football gods are massive Rocky fans.

As if the sporting gods can hear a Bills fan.

Needs to start over Davis though, at least bring some running. Serious lack of options out wide.

Yep. Thank god that Fabian Johnson loves getting up the field, and is good at it. We'd have almost no width to speak of.