Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

As said, Bradley was sorely missed, as was Donovan.  Despite going down 2-1 the US made no in roads to the Jamaica goal and we couldn't even put pressure on them down the stretch.  Our entire system needs a re-think, we don't have the players to make it work and Klinsmann is going to be a failure if he can't turn things around quickly. 

Good side of an USA shock defeat; checking Bigsoccer, RTG-tastic right now.

I'm slightly worried about the team though, there's such an over-reliance of Donovan/Bradley/Dempsey... excepting Bradley all of them will soon start to decline and for some reason it seems absolutely impossible for the USA to produce anything else than good hardworking players, completely devoid of flair or end product.

Good side of an USA shock defeat; checking Bigsoccer, RTG-tastic right now.

I'm slightly worried about the team though, there's such an over-reliance of Donovan/Bradley/Dempsey... excepting Bradley all of them will soon start to decline and for some reason it seems absolutely impossible for the USA to produce anything else than good hardworking players, completely devoid of flair or end product.

I don't think it's necessarily an over-reliance on those guys. With a different formation and a few personnel changes, this team beats Jamaica in Kingston.

Klinsmann continues to play three DMs in central midfield and then is dumbfounded when we: A) concede ground in midfield B) have zero attacking through midfield and C) have zero play off the wings. Such a stagnant formation that was easily exposed by Jamaica's midfielders (who aren't exactly world-beaters).

A few personnel changes I'd like to see, considering the current roster, include: Jose Torres in central midfield. Klinsmann has routinely played him out of position either at left midfield or as a CAM, where he's struggled. He's really the only midfielder on the roster with any composure on the ball. Play him in his natural position, CM, and let him dictate the tempo.

Brek Shea on the left, Graham Zusi or Joe Corona on the right. Zero attacking width last night and Jamaica killed us on the flanks. Shea looked great against Mexico last month, linking-up well with Johnson on the left.

Terrence Boyd starting in place of Altidore. Link-up play to the top men was awful last night, but when Altidore did get the ball he mostly piddled around with his hand on his dick. Boyd is young, hungry, and scoring goals for Rapid Vienna. He's twice as much a fighter as Altidore.

This is the line-up that I'd like to see Klinsmann trot out on Tuesday:

--------------------------Boyd--------------------------

---------------------Dempsey------------------Gomez

Shea----------------------------------------------------

-----------------Torres--------Jones-------------------

Johnson-------------------------------------Parkhurst

-------------Bocanegra-----Cameron-----------------

------------------------Howard-------------------------

Or more 4-3-3...

--------------------------Boyd--------------------------

Dempsey---------------------------------------Gomez

----------------------------------------------------------

----------Jones--------Torres-----------Zusi----------

----------------------------------------------------------

Johnson-------------------------------------Parkhurst

-------------Bocanegra-----Cameron-----------------

------------------------Howard-------------------------

I'll be pissed if either Beckerman or Edu is on the field.

Still think that player pool is an issue. While certainly the US has leapt a great distance since they qualified in 1990, the MLS is too much of a fish pond (and I think it's expanding too fast, but that's another issue) and the players abroad are still most of the time confined to rotational roles in their teams, or starters in very poor leagues. But a lot of ground has been broken so I'm optimistic on that front in the long run, although I think the MLS is a poor platform for player development.

On a side note, I wish the USA played more often in, say, the Copa América. Playing regularly against good opposition apart from a handful of games against Mexico, would do wonders for growing the team, in my opinion. That's what pissed me off about losing the Golden Cup, the Confed Cup may be a crap tournament, but would have pitted the USA in a competitive environment against the World's top sides.

Agreed about MLS, it's no place for player development. Especially when the league's primary motivation is growth, as you said. Why we're seeing so many South and Central American players in the league now. Great for quality, terrible for American players. They're just overwhelmed in the system.

Also agree about the Copa America. Though the likes of Jamaica, Honduras, and Panama are getting better, the U.S. isn't facing World Cup-worthy competition on a regular basis. If this team were seeking to qualify through CONMEBOL right now, there's no way they'd get to Brazil. But look how teams like Venezuela, Colombia, and Ecuador are responding to getting the crap beaten out of them by Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay the past few years. Any one of those squads would easily qualify in CONCACAF.

We'll have to hope our youngsters work out this generation, I don't think any have ever lived up to the hype. Once Donovan goes hopefully Joe Gyau can come in and be a direct replacement. I understand Klinsmann's thinking with this formation, but it was never going to work without one of Donovan or Bradley and a fully fit Dempsey.

He's on loan at St. Pauli right now, with the possibility of adding another season after this. I've seen him a few times and he's looked promising, much different than other player in the US setup. Haven't seen him enough to make any claims on his future, just hope he turns out.

He's fast as all hell down the flanks. Actually one of the few brights spots for the U-23 team that failed to qualify for the Olympics. Should be a nice winger on the left side.

Josh Gatt is another with a high ceiling. Currently at Molde under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (not a bad role model for a winger), but he had been linked with some big clubs this past transfer window. Might even be faster than Gyau.

He's fast as all hell down the flanks. Actually one of the few brights spots for the U-23 team that failed to qualify for the Olympics. Should be a nice winger on the left side.

Josh Gatt is another with a high ceiling. Currently at Molde under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (not a bad role model for a winger), but he had been linked with some big clubs this past transfer window. Might even be faster than Gyau.

One good thing I have spotted is how more American kids are scouted and brought into European youth setups. We have this kid in ours, Ben Lederman, who actually oozes class (although I'm always cautious about players impressing at such young ages). There was also talk about a couple more yanks joining... so american players are gaining recognition.

Given it is the US, you'd think the one thing they wouldn't lack is pure pace and strength, but the side is definitely very pedestrian when you watch them. Not that I'm a regular viewer, but Jamaica ran circles around them in midfield.

One good thing I have spotted is how more American kids are scouted and brought into European youth setups. We have this kid in ours, Ben Lederman, who actually oozes class (although I'm always cautious about players impressing at such young ages). There was also talk about a couple more yanks joining... so american players are gaining recognition.

Big day when Lederman signed for Barca. Huge for American soccer.

Marc Pelosi is an intriguing prospect, currently playing very well in midfield for Liverpool's reserve squad. Will Packwood and John Anthony Brooks are young defenders who recently made first-team debuts for Birmingham and Hertha Berlin, respectively. Lot of young players across the continent, especially in Germany. All these guys should factor into the equation over the next 3-4 years.

I'd played against Gatt once a few when I was a teenager. He is indeed, really good.

They all go to the youth setups across the world and then don't chose the US to play for at a senior level. :'(

Rossi for example.

Yeah we've been hurt, but I wouldn't say we've gotten shafted ala Canada. Rossi was always going to play for Italy and only played for their youth teams. Such a damn shame the bad luck he's had the past year. It was awesome watching him tear-up La Liga a couple seasons back.

Subotic is another that stung. Played for the U.S. youth teams and then switched to Serbia. Rongen was partly to blame for that (but he made-up for it through scouting a lot of the Germans we're seeing now).

Brede Hangeland would have been another nice pick-up in central defense. American-born, but more of like an enclave baby. Don't think he ever really considered the U.S.

Canada has that complete twat Junior Hoilett refusing to play for them. He overrates himself a ton, but he would still improve that side big time. Jonathan de Guzman is another that could really help them. Hargreaves is obviously the one that stung the most.

I'd played against Gatt once a few when I was a teenager. He is indeed, really good.

Oh wow, that's pretty sweet. What level was this at?

As I said it's still a bit too early, but the boy's touch and composure on the ball is sublime for a kid his age. If he develops properly he'll be a huge asset for the USMNT in 10 years.

Oh wow, that's pretty sweet. What level was this at?

It was travel, I was 17 and we were playing his club team in a friendly. Did not go well, we weren't even close to their level. :lol:

He's so young that I guarantee when it comes time for him to start getting proper caps he chooses another country. :(

Well, he's nailed on to get a Spanish passport when he's around 20 if he stays with us. Hopefully we'll still be loaded with good creative mids at that time.

As I said it's still a bit too early, but the boy's touch and composure on the ball is sublime for a kid his age. If he develops properly he'll be a huge asset for the USMNT in 10 years.

I wouldn't mind giving him a call-up at 14 and get him cap-tied :lol: (can you be cap-tied under 18?)

But seriously, I could see U.S. Soccer calling him up way too early and completely screwing up his development (ala Freddy Adu).

I wouldn't mind giving him a call-up at 14 and get him cap-tied :lol: (can you be cap-tied under 18?)

But seriously, I could see U.S. Soccer calling him up way too early and completely screwing up his development (ala Freddy Adu).

You can, but only by playing in an official qualifying match/official tournament. At least I think so. :lol: