Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Klinsmann has struggled with a very limited talent pool. A 2-3 defeat to a vastly superior Mexico team is an excellent result for the #USMNT.

Nah man, I know you're just wumming, but that's all a load of bullshit.

In the current squad US have 1 Bundesliga player, 4 lower PL ones (2 of which are goalkeepers) and the rest play in MLS or lower divisions. Only Fabian Johnson will be playing in the CL this season. That's clearly problematic.

I know there's players in the MLS who could play in Europe, but the fact the likes of Bradley and Dempsey chose going back to being big fish isn't great for the NT tbh.

In the current squad US have 1 Bundesliga player, 4 PL ones (2 of which are goalkeepers) and the rest play in MLS or lower divisions. Only Fabian Johnson will be playing in the CL this season. That's clearly problematic.

I know there's players in the MLS who could play in Europe, but the fact the likes of Bradley and Dempsey chose going back to being big fish isn't great for the NT tbh.

It has nothing to do with the pool, which is deeper now than it's ever been (thanks in large part to Klinsmann, fair play). The problem is his incessant tinkering, particularly in defense, which hasn't allowed an actual starting XI to form. He's tactically naive too, the same criticism that plagued him with Germany, difference being he doesn't have someone like Low to bail him out.

Hard to say Mexico is vastly superior considering this is their first victory against the U.S. since June 2011.

The US have about as many players having a solid crack at European football as Costa Rica do, and if you take away the Deutsch-American lads and the likes of Johansson it becomes an even grimmer picture. It's not a good record. I know there is a desire for a stronger MLS but that can happen in time. Europe is the holy grail.

What did Bradley do that Klinsmann hasn't?

Last 16 of the WC and being edged out by Mexico in Gold Cups/head-to-head games. That's pretty much the ceiling of the US squad.

There's nostalgia for Bradley because he overachieved. I respect him greatly but he's not the answer for the U.S. The fact that Klinsmann, with his supposed pedigree and big talk has accomplished exactly as much in 4 years as the apparently unsophisticated Bradley, albeit with a far deeper talent pool, is damning.

The US have about as many players having a solid crack at European football as Costa Rica do, and if you take away the Deutsch-American lads and the likes of Johansson it becomes an even grimmer picture. It's not a good record. I know there is a desire for a stronger MLS but that can happen in time. Europe is the holy grail.

Again, this really isn't the primary issue at play. If all the starting U.S. players started for European teams tomorrow, it wouldn't solve the fact that Klinsmann has no coherent gameplan with the national team. There's no synthesis, no cohesion.

What also irks me is the way Klinsmann can be really patronizing. He's the former German star, so he knows better than everyone in America. If he gets pushed out it'll be because U.S. Soccer wasn't smart enough to understand his vision, not because he's just not a very good football coach.

As bad as he's been tactically or whatever, which you're probably correct about since you watch every game, I don't think he's necessarily fell short of what the US squad's potential is. Last 16 of the WC after coming out of a very strong group was a good effort.

Hard to say Mexico is vastly superior considering this is their first victory against the U.S. since June 2011.

They were all over the place for a while in qualifying, but they've clearly got a more talented pool of players IMO. They also seem to be coming out of their shell in terms of moving to European clubs despite having a strong/lucrative league at home.

As bad as he's been tactically or whatever, which you're probably correct about since you watch every game, I don't think he's necessarily fell short of what the US squad's potential is. Last 16 of the WC after coming out of a very strong group was a good effort.

It's a matter of perspective. Klinsmann was brought in with the promise of totally revamping how the U.S. plays football. He's done nothing but promise free-flowing, attacking football for four years, and save for a random game here and there where that's come true, we've largely been the same counter-attacking, beat-them-with-grit side we've always been. And I don't really have a problem with that, maybe it's 'our style' and we should embrace it, as there's nothing that says you can't have a good team that plays solid counter-attacking football. But at least be honest about it and give your team every possible opportunity to excel playing that type of football, which he hasn't done.

It's a matter of perspective. Klinsmann was brought in with the promise of totally revamping how the U.S. plays football. He's done nothing but promise free-flowing, attacking football for four years, and save for a random game here and there where that's come true, we've largely been the same counter-attacking, beat-them-with-grit side we've always been. And I don't really have a problem with that, maybe it's 'our style' and we should embrace it, as there's nothing that says you can't have a good team that plays solid counter-attacking football. But at least be honest about it and give your team every possible opportunity to excel playing that type of football, which he hasn't done.

Fair argument, makes sense.