Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

This deal might actually be harmful to MLS. MLS games are awesome live, but the quality of televised PL games easily blows away anything MLS puts on TV.

Who has MLS? ESPN, right? They probably deserve to lose that too.

NBC does an MLS GOTW starting this season. It's not bad tbf. And MLS.com streams one free game live every week. But other than that, it's hard to get quality MLS on TV.

I know either MSG or YES do the Red Bull games, so it might just be loads of local coverage but no national outfit? No MLS Game of the week kind of thing?

This deal might actually be harmful to MLS. MLS games are awesome live, but the quality of televised PL games easily blows away anything MLS puts on TV.

NBC does an MLS GOTW starting this season. It's not bad tbf. And MLS.com streams one free game live every week. But other than that, it's hard to get quality MLS on TV.

I know either MSG or YES do the Red Bull games, so it might just be loads of local coverage but no national outfit? No MLS Game of the week kind of thing?

Referring to ESPN?

Local coverage is definitely there for most markets. TSN covers Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver really well, Philly gets CSN I think, etc.

Yeah I mean, you know how Fox does a baseball game on Saturday, NFL has Sunday and Monday night, NBA has Thursday, etc. Is there a WATCH THIS GAME for MLS yet? Like with the A tv crew and all that.

Yeah I mean, you know how Fox does a baseball game on Saturday, NFL has Sunday and Monday night, NBA has Thursday, etc. Is there a WATCH THIS GAME for MLS yet? Like with the A tv crew and all that.

Yeah NBC has it:

NBC Sports Group will air 41 regular season games of the 2013 season across NBC and NBC Sports Network. Three games will air on NBC, while the other 38 games will be broadcast on NBC Sports Network.

Though I'm not sure if NBC Sports Network is available with basic cable packages. I know my folks get it on DirecTV as part of their basic package.

And this is ESPN's deal with MLS:

ESPN2 will televise 26 regular-season MLS matches, primarily on Thursday nights.

ESPN2 will televise three MLS playoff matches.

ABC will televise one regular-season MLS match, the MLS All-Star Game, and MLS Cup. (replaced by ESPN in 2009)

Televised coverage of the first round of the MLS Draft.

MLS telecasts can be re-aired in full or abbreviated versions on any ESPN media platforms

Extensive footage rights for all ESPN media platforms such as SportsCenter, ESPNEWS, ESPN Motion, ESPN360, etc.

ESPN will also produce and be solely responsible for the content, whereas, they had not been able to do that in the past.

The Premier League needs to sort itself out and provide UK fans with a legal way to watch the games like. It's mental they're not doing it already.

Isn't it because they're afraid that attendance would drop?

As if it could get much worse at some clubs :lol:

National team call-ups. Roster will be trimmed before the first qualifier.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Tally Hall (Houston), Bill Hamid (D.C.), Tim Howard (Everton, England), Sean Johnson (Chicago), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla, Mexico), Matt Besler (Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke, England), Edgar Castillo (Tijuana, Mexico), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles), Clarence Goodson (Brondby, Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim, Germany), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg, Germany)

Midfielders: Michael Bradley (Roma, Italy), Joe Corona (Tijuana, Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor, Turkey), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jermaine Jones (Schalke, Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium), Brek Shea (Stoke, England), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim, Germany), Graham Zusi (Kansas City)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna, Austria), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham, England), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna, Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Seattle)

Not bad. Still confused about why the likes of Brad Davis keep lurking around. Good pro, but couldn't we find someone with more upside?

Completely forgot about Holden, did he do anything for Bolton this year?

Yeah Davis played himself out of the picture with his performance in the last qualifier, imo. Just not an international-level player. Not sure why he continues to get caps.

Holden played pretty well on loan for Sheffield Wednesday after his return. At this point he needs games, which he obviously won't get now that the Championship season is over. I'd like to see him make the Gold Cup roster later this summer.

Impressively few MLS players in there. Not even giving big Conor Casey a bash?

I imagine the Gold Cup roster will be overwhelmingly MLS, with some Scandinavia-based players thrown-in for kicks.

Aye. The Quakes games are all live on the same channel that shows the Athletics and the Sharks...

Am I seeing 6 goalkeepers in a roster of 29 there?  :kasper:

Your elf eyes do not deceive you, Legolas.

I'd start Guzan myself. Handled himself expertly in the most recent qualifiers and he's had a far better season than Howard. Then I'd take Howard and whichever of the remaining four stands out in camp.

The most notable oddity was his selection of not three, not four, but a whopping six goalkeepers. The move was explained as a sort of platoon system in which Tally Hall, Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson and Nick Rimando – the MLS-based backups to Tim Howard and Brad Guzan – will cycle in and out of camp to balance their club commitments with Klinsmann's desire to expose them to the USMNT environment.

The Chicago Fire's Johnson will join the US camp from May 26-30 and Hamid will rotate in while the Yanks are in his Washington, D.C., home market May 30-June 2. Then Hall arrives for the June 2-8 period which includes the World Cup qualifier at Jamaica, while Rimando steps in from June 9-19.

Via MLSsoccer.com

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where else to put this...

http://internationalchampionscup.com/

Real Madrid, Chelsea, A.C. Milan, Juventus, LA Galaxy, Valencia, Everton, and Inter Milan to participate in inaugural edition

Dodger Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, AT&T Park, MetLife Stadium, Estadio Mestalla and Sun Life Stadium to Host Contests

Clubs Feature World-Class Stars Including Cristiano Ronaldo, Andrea Pirlo, Mario Balotelli, Frank Lampard, Roberto Soldado, Esteban Cambiasso, Landon Donovan and Tim Howard

NEW YORK, NY (May 29, 2013) – Relevent Sports, a division of RSE Ventures, the sports, entertainment and technology company co-founded by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and Matt Higgins, today announced complete details for the 2013 Guinness International Champions Cup. The tournament begins July 27th in Valencia, Spain with A.C. Milan taking on Valencia, with other opening round matches played at University of Phoenix Stadium, AT&T Park and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Lucas Oil Stadium, the home of the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts and Super Bowl XLVI, and one of the top sporting venues in the country will host one first round match while Semifinal contests will take place at Dodger Stadium and MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ). Dodger Stadium, nestled in Chavez Ravine outside of Los Angeles will host a soccer match for the first time in its illustrious 51 year history.

Eight teams are participating in the one-of-a-kind tournament including club teams from Spain, Italy, England, and the United States. Following is a list of all the participating teams:

Chelsea

A.C. Milan

Valencia

Everton

Real Madrid

Inter Milan

Juventus

LA Galaxy

“The combination of these eight marquee teams takes this tournament to a caliber never seen before in international soccer,” said Charlie Stillitano, Relevent Sports CEO. “Fans across the globe will be able to witness the beautiful game in their own backyards at some of the most iconic venues in America including famed Dodgers Stadium.”

Teams will be divided into East and West regions with Chelsea, A.C. Milan, Valencia and Inter Milan playing in the East while Real Madrid, Juventus, the LA Galaxy and Everton battle in the West.

The East region will begin July 27 as A.C. Milan and Valencia face off in the Estadio Mestalla. On August 1 Chelsea and Inter will meet in Indianapolis. The four teams will face-off in the tournament semifinals on August 4 in New York. The West region will kick-off as Juventus meets Everton on July 31 in San Francisco while a day later Real Madrid plays against the LA Galaxy in Phoenix. On August 3 the four West region teams will face off in the semifinals in Los Angeles.

Is it good to get our asses kicked by Belgium and Germany before the qualifiers? Or is any game time good? Considering we won't have our first choice squad for Belgium at least, it seems like it could do more harm..

Is it good to get our asses kicked by Belgium and Germany before the qualifiers? Or is any game time good? Considering we won't have our first choice squad for Belgium at least, it seems like it could do more harm..

I'd prefer we get the crap beaten out of us in friendlies against superior competition considering the Gold Cup and qualifiers are generally fluff.