Haunting misses

Superior Acuña

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Martins’ outrageous volley against Liverpool (off the bat from a throw in) due to how ridiculous a goal of would have been.

That's a really good one. Would have been ridiculous, it wasn't like it was a lob either, he blasted it from a good 50 yards away. 

Nobby Solano v Sunderland 01/02, should have won it.

Dyer away to Man City start of the 02/03 season. Missed an open goal.

Andy O'Brien at Chelsea in the Quarters of the 01/02 League Cup missing from 3 yards about a minute before Hasselbaink scored in the last minute to make it 1-0. Would have had Spurs in the Semi and Blackburn in the Final.

33 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I don't think there's already a thread on this? I'd been thinking of haunting moments, or particularly misses recently, then @MrRaspberryJam just posted about Gary Speed v Marseille in another thread. What misses haunt people, you think about when you can't sleep - bad misses in important games, shots that were agonizingly close etc.

One less obvious one that comes to my mind is Papiss Cissé away at Benfica in the last 16 of the Europa. He'd already put us 1-0 up before half time and in the second half we were shooting towards our fans (I was there), as I remember he broke through and dinked it over the keeper. It looked like it was going in, it felt like so long, we were in those milliseconds before you break into celebration and things'd have gone mental (2 up, 2 away goals, away at Benfica, looking like going to the QF). I was sure. But it hit the post... Gutted, robbed of that moment we were almost already in.

[emoji38]

I think Bridges missed a very good chance late on in the same game IIRC. 

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I was only 8 at the time, but wonder if the final v Arsenal would have swung in out favour if either of Dabizas' or Shearer's efforts that hit the woodwork had went in. 

Probably not, like. 

I was there—albeit worse for wear drink wise—and the Dabizas one is lost in the mists of time for me. Can recall being convinced Anelka controlled the ball with his arm on the build to a goal. Happened right in front of me and was fuming. Couldn’t wait to watch it on TV to confirm the referee’s miss. All these years later still not seen any evidence of it 😂 (…still convinced though!) 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I was there—albeit worse for wear drink wise—and the Dabizas one is lost in the mists of time for me. Can recall being convinced Anelka controlled the ball with his arm on the build to a goal. Happened right in front of me and was fuming. Couldn’t wait to watch it on TV to confirm the referee’s miss. All these years later still not seen any evidence of it 😂 (…still convinced though!) 

I think it was a header that hit the top of the bar! Unsure if it was 0-1 or 0-2 at the time, though.

46 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Siem de Jong missed a sitter against Villa at home in our relegation season 

Came to post this as well and I know it gets brought up semi often but I knew at that very moment we were in deep trouble and we wouldn’t get out of it. 

Josleu’s penalty miss v Burnley at home felt like a big one too. We were the better side all game, he missed a pen and they scored a late equaliser. It was like a everyone in the ground new he was going to miss before he took it too, it was a weird. 

Peppering the goal at the city ground 95/96. Albert plumb sitter, hit it properly and Crossley turned into inspector gadget or Reed Richards to keep it out point blank. This was after Woan had scored the screamer. I Was sat  behind the goal with home supporters in the bridgford end and I was nigh bursting. 

43 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

The referee missing this tackle, which can be pinpointed as the exact moment our fortune turned under Bobby. They scored a dodgy pen a minute later, we were crap for the next few games, and then Partizan…

ECEBA127-CF30-445F-9579-C84D7D0FDF46.jpeg

This literally was the turning point of SBR and arguably the beginning of the downfall we've been on ever since until the takeover.

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

All of the missed chances in the first half of the Man U home game 95/96 season.

If any one of them had gone in and we draw, we win the title, the rest of the season would have been so different.

That first half performance by Schmeichel condemned a lot of fans who are no longer with us to never seeing us winning anything in their lifetime.