Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

6 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

No it wasn’t, don’t be daft :lol:. @Interpolic is right that he shouldn’t have been written off as a shite manager, but you’ve over-corrected the other way. It clearly wasn’t working on multiple levels, although I certainly wouldn’t blame Nuno. As I say, wrong guy wrong place wrong time.

We’d been tonked by Palace, Chelsea and Arsenal in quick succession, then lost to West Ham and got battered by Man U. More importantly though. as you guys rightly say about Pardew, Bruce etc, fans from outside don’t see the whole picture. Saying it was a ridiculous sacking is just falling into the same trap.

No club should be sacking a relatively proven manager after their first 17 games. Winning 8 and drawing 2. Far too soon to make a judgment that it wasn’t working on a multiple of levels. Pardew and Bruce were given multiple seasons and come to the club with very poor reputions unlike Nuno. Comparing chalk with cheese.

I’m saying exactly what @Interpolicis saying just with added context. Nothing controversial about my statement.

His mistake was probably changing the full 11 that beat us for a European game with regards to the players but knowing your owner he’d of probably prioritised the league over the Europa. Ultimately it made your owner look a bad judge of manager and your fans look very fickle. Neither particularly surprising.

As much as i dislike Bruce & Pardew I’d say the same about us after 17 games if we did the same. 

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

No club should be sacking a relatively proven manager after their first 17 games. Winning 8 and drawing 2. Far too soon to make a judgment that it wasn’t working on a multiple of levels. Pardew and Bruce were given multiple seasons and come to the club with very poor reputions unlike Nuno. Comparing chalk with cheese.

I’m saying exactly what @Interpolicis saying just with added context. Nothing controversial about my statement.

His mistake was probably changing the full 11 that beat us for a European game with regards to the players but knowing your owner he’d of probably prioritised the league over the Europa. Ultimately it made your owner look a bad judge of manager and your fans look very fickle. Neither particularly surprising.

As much as i dislike Bruce & Pardew I’d say the same about us after 17 games if we did the same. 

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it was a ridiculous sacking, it means it was a ridiculous appointment. The argument against sacking him has so far been that he’d won MOTM in his first month, that he’d lost the players (they forced him out), that he’d lost the fans (we forced him out), and that he didn’t get enough time. The first is whatever, the second and third are actually making the opposite point, and the fourth is fair enough until you consider (a) that the mistake was maybe appointing him in the first place and (b) what the results of sacking him were. 4th and Champions League.

Nice guy, wish him all the best, glad we sacked him when we did.

Great close up shot of Carlton Morris screaming "YOU SHITHOUSE" at the lino for failing to give an obvious corner :lol:

And of course he's booked for calling out refereeing incompetence.

Edited by Pilko

5 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it was a ridiculous sacking, it means it was a ridiculous appointment. The argument against sacking him has so far been that he’d won MOTM in his first month, that he’d lost the players (they forced him out), that he’d lost the fans (we forced him out), and that he didn’t get enough time. The first is whatever, the second and third are actually making the opposite point, and the fourth is fair enough until you consider (a) that the mistake was maybe appointing him in the first place and (b) what the results of sacking him were. 4th and Champions League.

Nice guy, wish him all the best, glad we sacked him when we did.

Of course it was because it’s not enough time to judge a managers body of work at your club. 47% win ratio hardly tragic. Any manager should be given a full season at least if not two before you fully judge them.

You sacked Jose week of your cup final because of player pressure. You did the same with Nuno after a bad month following a great month then a mixed month. Any manager can have a bad month. Especially when still new to club. Successive managers have all highlighted something wrong in the current DNA at the club. Nuno wasn’t there long enough to be part of that DNA or to solve it so would be harsh to include him in the multiple problems you spoke of.

Only thing I agree with is he wasn’t the right fit personally coming off the back of Jose as you were only going to get more of the same. Once you hired him though you’ve got to give a season or two to judge him as a manger.

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Looks like the end of Mark Robins tenure at Coventry which is a real shame as he's worked miracles there

You'd imagine he'd walk into a top Championship club if he does go. I could see him at Middlesbrough. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

You'd imagine he'd walk into a top Championship club if he does go. I could see him at Middlesbrough. 

Yeah can't see boro getting rid of Carrick but certainly a club of that stature

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Of course it was because it’s not enough time to judge a managers body of work at your club. 47% win ratio hardly tragic. Any manager should be given a full season at least if not two before you fully judge them.

You sacked Jose week of your cup final because of player pressure. You did the same with Nuno after a bad month following a great month then a mixed month. Any manager can have a bad month. Especially when still new to club. Successive managers have all highlighted something wrong in the current DNA at the club. Nuno wasn’t there long enough to be part of that DNA or to solve it so would be harsh to include him in the multiple problems you spoke of.

Only thing I agree with is he wasn’t the right fit personally coming off the back of Jose as you were only going to get more of the same. Once you hired him though you’ve got to give a season or two to judge him as a manger.

I mean, the problem I spoke of was losing games - the problem I didn’t speak of was the way we were playing. I’ll include him in both those problems, however long he’s been there. He was the manager.

Sacking somebody so early is obviously shan, but the general feeling now is that it quickly became clear that we shouldn’t have hired him, so we got rid. Don’t know exactly why behind the scenes, I just know what we were seeing on the pitch. I agree that you can only fully judge a manager after a couple of years and, say, four transfer windows but for arguments sake, wouldn’t you rather have booted JFK in November?

I’d love Nuno to have settled in, had a couple of transfer windows, got the team playing great football and been in a better place than we are now. Do you think that would have happened? I don’t. Neither did the club. I think that’s fair enough,

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, the problem I spoke of was losing games - the problem I didn’t speak of was the way we were playing. I’ll include him in both those problems, however long he’s been there. He was the manager.

Sacking somebody so early is obviously shan, but the general feeling now is that it quickly became clear that we shouldn’t have hired him, so we got rid. Don’t know exactly why behind the scenes, I just know what we were seeing on the pitch. I agree that you can only fully judge a manager after a couple of years and, say, four transfer windows but for arguments sake, wouldn’t you rather have booted JFK in November?

I’d love Nuno to have settled in, had a couple of transfer windows, got the team playing great football and been in a better place than we are now. Do you think that would have happened? I don’t. Neither did the club. I think that’s fair enough,

His previous record suggests he would. Also his record since. The fact both you (fans) and the club have that question unanswered is the ultimate point I’m making.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

His previous record suggests he would. Also his record since. The fact both you (fans) and the club have that question unanswered is the ultimate point I’m making.

But that doesn’t make it a ridiculous decision. It just makes it an unusual one. And if - as you both imply - a manager has truly lost the fans and the players then it’s an understandable one.

I hope we’ve grown out of mistakes like that, and I know neither you or us would ever hire a JFK again, but sometimes one truly does fuck up and not correcting that fuck-up in time causes even more problems.

24 minutes ago, LFEE said:

And also, that highlights another point. Us and the club have that question unanswered but we couldn’t really give the slightest shit at this point :lol:. If we’d fallen apart after Nuno left then maybe we would? But we didn’t. It didn’t really have any impact on how I judge Nuno and it shouldn’t. It still doesn’t make it a ridiculous decision.

Edited by leffe186