Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

Gibraltar had lost their last 13 games, with an aggregate score of 50-0, including losses against giants such of Malta, Lithuania twice, Ireland and Greece.

So obviously Wales just drew 0-0 with them.

Hooooly shit Ødegaard just hit one of the most insane passes from fucking deep midfield through the entirety of Denmark to put Haaland clean through on goal :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

That assist from Ødegaard was honestly so fucking good it made me forget Norway are absolutely shit 90% of the time :lol: 

Full back is applauding before Haaland even taps it in :lol:

48 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

That assist from Ødegaard was honestly so fucking good it made me forget Norway are absolutely shit 90% of the time :lol: 

Why on earth is Solebakken still there? He's like Steve Bruce, that bloke.

Totally wasting some of the best players the national side have had in decades.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

He must have dirt on the top people at the Norwegian FA, the press and all our pundits or something. Lars Lägerback got annihilated by pundits and in the press aaaages before the FA actually got their fingers out of their asses and sacked him for having Norway perform "below expectations". 

Solbakken has now led Norway the same amount of games and has a worse record than Lägerback :lol: 

1 hour ago, Kaizero said:

He must have dirt on the top people at the Norwegian FA, the press and all our pundits or something. Lars Lägerback got annihilated by pundits and in the press aaaages before the FA actually got their fingers out of their asses and sacked him for having Norway perform "below expectations". 

Solbakken has now led Norway the same amount of games and has a worse record than Lägerback :lol: 

Needs to be added that Lägerback didn't even have "prime" Ødegaard and Haaland at his disposal most of his time as Norway manager, - Solbakken has had both his entire time as manager.

7 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Needs to be added that Lägerback didn't even have "prime" Ødegaard and Haaland at his disposal most of his time as Norway manager, - Solbakken has had both his entire time as manager.

IMO the main problem with Solbakken is a problem that is often seen amongst managers of nations that doesn't have star players in every position, but coincidentially happen to have several star players that play in the same position. Instead of doing the sane and normal thing and select the best of the players for each position and fielding a starting eleven with players that play in their natural/normal position, he tends to make players like Sørloth and Strand Larsen (both 6' 4" #9s) play as wingers, forcing our naturally gifted wingers Bobb and Nusa to play as central midfielders. To add to that, he often makes Ødegaard play left wing to accomodate for all of the big name midfielders getting to play instead of having Ødegaard play as #10.

I'd much rather see players like Sørloth on the bench and us playing the best players we have available in their natural positions, thus having a team that gels well together and doesn't fuck up all the time due to players playing out of position. Because, even if it's a shame for someone of Sørloth's calibre to be a bench player, Sørloth was unlucky enough to be born in the same generation as Haaland - and Haaland is the better number nine, therefore Haaland should play. There's no point having two massive strikers on the pitch at the same time when that ensures the rest of the team is so out of order the strikers don't get any service regardless.

Also, our current generation of players are filled with talent from midfield and up. Our defensive players and keepers are mediocre, at best. It makes no sense to set the team up as "defence first"/"build from the back" team when the players in the positions needed for that type of style aren't up to snuff. What this generation of Norway players need in a manager is the Keegan-esque "stereotype" that's all-out attack, trying to win 4-3 instead of 1-0.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Additional sidenote: I'm of the (probably quite unpopular opinion) that national teams should mainly hire foreign managers to avoid any inherent national bias regarding players, ensuring an objective look at the current crop of players in the nation they manage as well as somewhat of an emotional disconnect when it comes to selections/performance.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Swear I've seen thus movie.

I support Norway (duh) and the US (because why not) when it comes to international football. However, me doing so I swear is the sole reason both sides are stuck with Pardew-esque manager situations.

Never forget that month where that Rudy Ruettiger looking ass motherfucker had them playing like temu Barcelona.

5 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Am I mental for sticking Soccer Aid on? Is it gonna be really shit?

It’s going to be terrible. But there’s not much else on the tv on a Sunday evening