Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Then equalises for DRC. :lol:

Decent game. 

Mbemba honestly just came to Newcastle too early. The man is captain material for club and country at this point of his career, easily one of the best defenders in Africa. I am a big fan of the guy.

I will seriously miss this AFCON when it finishes, tbh, been incredible. Even Asian Cup has been catching my interest more than club football, tbh, had been a bit jaded with it before. This is also the lowest expectation I've ever had for Nigeria and we've been very solid, tbh. DR Congo are my second team through marriage, but I am hoping they lose the semi if we win. A Naija-DRC final would cause holy war with my wife and her family. :lol:

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Van de Ven has serious pace, would love one of our CB's to be quick like that 

Decent partnership for the Dutch team alongside our guy. 

He's an excellent goalkeeper, but that is basically a dive isn't it. Should be a yellow card technically, he's thrown himself to the ground in hope he'll get a free kick.

Edited by Mazzy

Not unhappy to see a lack of intervention from VAR there, but I think there's a fair argument that that is an unfair obstruction on the goalkeeper.

Against another CB, no, because the the duelling players' starting positions are even. But, when a keeper is one of those players, it's going to be a physical mismatch when he's stretching to reach the ball, which is expected of him; he can't just not attempt to reach it.

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Would be good to see but some managers seem reluctant to go with 2 left footed CB's

The Dutch are partial to a back 3 though. Its possible you could see Van de Ven, Van Dijk and Botman as a back 3. Plus De Vrij as back up, thats an impresive quality at CB for them. That would be incredible really. 

Spurs are a strange team, can play some really good stuff for a spell and then when the opponents inch up the intensity of the game, they look fucking terrible.

Edited by brummie