Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Nah I'm with him. Coefficient is far too nerdy to get invested in, when delicious schadenfreude is on offer.

Same. Doesn't matter if it defies logic and reason, when Liverpool or West Ham are playing I can't rewire the brain into wanting them to win. I was really pissed when Frimpong ballooned that one over the bar before he actually scored. Fucking clumsy twat.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Nah I'm with him. Coefficient is far too nerdy to get invested in, when delicious schadenfreude is on offer.

Plus it was basically already gone anyway after last night.

This, and midds

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Plus it was basically already gone anyway after last night.

Is it still schadenfreude when you're cutting your nose off to spite your face? :lol:

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

when delicious schadenfreude is on offer

Been a veritable smorgasbord this last 7 days. Just a shame Billa didn’t fuck up.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Is it still schadenfreude when you're cutting your nose off to spite your face? :lol:

Yes, it's immediate and delicious. The coefficient thing is just far too hypothetical and uncertain for me to be invested in at all, honestly. I don't think we're getting 5th. And I have almost no preference between Europa League or Conference League.

If we end up in 5th I can slap myself in hindsight. I'm not gonna worry about it now.

Edited by ponsaelius

I’m hard wired, from 30 years of watching, to want English teams and the Old Firm to fail in Europe like. You can’t just switch that tap off because Stephen Le Hawking has got Excel open. 

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think we're getting 5th. And I have almost no preference between Europa League or Conference League.

Also, this. Win our games and come 6th, jobs a good un. Given we’ve qualified for Europe via the fair play league and Intercocopops previously we’ll probably find a way. 

You're in Europe if your league form deserves you to be, not because some fucking European team happens to keep wankers like West Ham and Liverpool afloat

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Yes, it's immediate and delicious. The coefficient thing is just far too hypothetical and uncertain for me to be invested in at all, honestly. I don't think we're getting 5th. And I have almost no preference between Europa League or Conference League.

If we end up in 5th I can slap myself in hindsight.

Or 8th. 

If we end up in 5th I can slap myself in hindsight. I'm not gonna worry about it now.

Schadenfreude isn't experienced through the nose anyway. If you cut it off to spite your face, the cockles of the heart would warm up to compensate double to make up the difference.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

You're in Europe if your league form deserves you to be, not because some fucking European team happens to keep wankers like West Ham and Liverpool afloat

I'm sure the fans of whichever team benefit from the coefficient won't give a shit about that and neither would we.

If we do finish 5th I'd just console myself with the fact that we'd have probably not done so if it was a CL place Spurs were going for. All too hypothetical to get invested in IMO.

We'll be better off next season without European football and highly likely back in it the year after anyway, maybe even in the big one.

*aside from the off chance we'd win it which tonight has proven is tenuous and fanciful.

Don't care for the entire premise of coefficients, disagree with a 5th place team going into the champions league on priciple, don't want to see the rich clubs from the rich league dominate Europe or domestic.

The fact there’s going to be 5 teams from one country in the CL is absolutely absurd anyway. The whole thing is a sham, and a fraud and...a sham!

Missing out altogether, EL or Conf League are all as much of a muchness for me like. I'd definitely love some obscure away trips that nobody else could be arsed to go to, please bring on FC Ordabasy. But I'd also be totally comfortable with us going again next year with clear midweek calendar after this shitshow of a season TBH.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

If you're at the point where your disdain for English dominance in Europe (a phase just like any other) is encroaching on your support for Newcastle qualifying for Europe, is it not time to ask whether you're sipping on the kool aid a bit?

Well firstly I don't think it's that crazy a notion; my view of football has recalibrated a bit over the years and the neutral in me is closer to the surface than it once was. That doesn't mean NUFC doesn't still dominate my thoughts and dictate my mood on a weekend; but I can more easily revel in schadenfreude/triumphant underdogs these days, even if it is 'at the expense' of Newcastle. 

But the other thing is in the merit issue. I honestly find that a quarter of the league being able to qualify for Europe's premier competition (without even a preliminary) degrades the gravity of the achievement. Of course I'd be blinkered not to apply that logic to the Bundesliga now too, but at least in that case it gives a bit of a leg-up to a league more in-need of it than the Prem. 

I do routinely worry about the potential for PL dominance but must concede that it's probably not even warranted at the moment; given it'll be two years in relatively quick succession without English teams in the CL semis. It was far more prevalent in the noughties than it is atm.

But it is definitely highlighted in the Conference League, where decent-to-very-average PL teams are favourites to win. That fact has definitely checked my enthusiasm for Newcastle competing in it; it would be less meaningful an achievement if lifting the trophy would be the only thing not considered an abject failure. 

Missing out altogether, EL or Conf League are all as much of a muchness for me like. I'd definitely love some obscure away trips that nobody else could be arsed to go to, please bring on FC Ordabasy. But I'd also be totally comfortably with us going again next year with clear midweek calendar after this shitshow of a season TBH.

image.thumb.jpeg.2952cad7cb31123d8df0e95bb3314cfc.jpeg

:fwap:

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

I’m hard wired, from 30 years of watching, to want English teams and the Old Firm to fail in Europe like. You can’t just switch that tap off because Stephen Le Hawking has got Excel open. 

Also, this. Win our games and come 6th, jobs a good un. Given we’ve qualified for Europe via the fair play league and Intercocopops previously we’ll probably find a way. 

Aye. Brighton I didn't mind. Anyone getting a first taste really but the usual fuckers - these are our rivals really, there's no gamelaggi with them so no logical reason we'd want them to be succesful especially over harmless clubs like Atalanta or Bayer Leverkusen if it wasn't for bullshit coefficients rewarding dominance by allowing half your league to qualify for Europe.

On one hand there's qualifying for a minor european competition on technicalities on the other everything else.

Edited by Wolfcastle

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Or 8th. 

Will 7th and 6th be Europa League then, instead of 6th and 5th? In that case it also matters if you finish 7th.

Edited by Erikse