Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Let’s hear Leffe

:lol: Was just editing it to say that might sound a bit harsh.

Villa are up against it with FFP or whatever it is now so they really really need the money the CL brings and missing out would be tough financially. We don’t. Then you add in the fact that we’re just in the first season of the rebuild and so we could stand to have one season out of the CL to allow the squad to develop, while they are further along.

Not sure why you think the opposite.

Just now, leffe186 said:

:lol: Was just editing it to say that might sound a bit harsh.

Villa are up against it with FFP or whatever it is now so they really really need the money the CL brings and missing out would be tough financially. We don’t. Then you add in the fact that we’re just in the first season of the rebuild and so we could stand to have one season out of the CL to allow the squad to develop, while they are further along.

Not sure why you think the opposite.

Villa, while they have a deeper squad to us, would struggle having to put out their best side every game pretty much rather than rotating as they have done in Europe this season. The money would be a good hit but they’d be out in the groups and probably won’t be back for a while. You make a good point about FFP, I hadn’t really thought about that.

Spurs, you’ll know more about their financial position than me but any season out of CL for the top six is really damaging. Would be massively damaging mentally to the squad as well after how you started this season 

39 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Hope @Disco is supporting the sweaty Danish nonce and his team tonight

Grubby times at Casa Disco. Don’t hold out much hope though. 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Villa, while they have a deeper squad to us, would struggle having to put out their best side every game pretty much rather than rotating as they have done in Europe this season. The money would be a good hit but they’d be out in the groups and probably won’t be back for a while. You make a good point about FFP, I hadn’t really thought about that.

Spurs, you’ll know more about their financial position than me but any season out of CL for the top six is really damaging. Would be massively damaging mentally to the squad as well after how you started this season 

You’re looking at things the wrong way round I think - you can’t just say “The Top Six” without recognizing that they are all in very different positions. We have the lowest wage-to-turnover ratio of the entire Premier League and the new stadium means matchday income has increased enormously even without the CL. Chelsea missing out again would be disastrous for them. Villa missing out would be problematic financially because of their FFP, and they aren’t one of the Too Six. They’ve got a high wage bill relative to turnover which the CL would greatly help finance.

Before the season there were some people seriously thinking Spurs might finish lower half of the table or worse with no Kane and a new manager. Most right-thinking Spurs fans were hoping to squeak into Europe. We’d have bitten your hand off for fifth. In the BBC’s pre-season predictions for the top four, nobody thought Spurs would be there, two people backed Villa, a few more Newcastle and a ton Man U. It was a great start but the squad was clearly not strong enough as shown by the fallout after Chelsea.

As for mentally damaging - have you listened to Ange at all this season? He’s consistently maintained that he doesn’t really give all that much of a shit about league position, he just wants them to play well and grow - and the players have clearly bought into that. I don’t think anyone paying attention would disagree.

I see the argument that Villa might not be ready for CL, but the financial implications of getting in massively outweigh that in their case. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

How the hell are Brentford not winning.

You know how Man U games go under Ten Hag.  

They play badly for ages, the other team waste loads of chances and then Man U score a late winner. Usually a worldy :lol: 

Just now, Joe1984 said:

I refer you back to Lush Vlads post above about you know how Man U games go... ?

I know, its just mind blowing how they escape game after game.