Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

It kind of feels a bit similar with Newcastle. You just expect City to win the vast majority of their games, if not all of them, so the pressure is massive on Arsenal. It's been a fantastic season for them whatever happens and they should be very much enjoying it, but I'd imagine the position they were in a few weeks ago, the fans will just want the games to tick off now, hopefully maintaining their position, rather than going out and attacking every match thinking they are going to win pretty much all of them. 

They definitely do feel vulnerable, and a bit like us, it feels it they are to get their ultimate prize, it will be a hold off job, and if there were 5 or 6 more matches (against the exact same sides) City would be even more favourites.

13 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Na, ours was far worse.  Man City had a game in hand and a superior goal difference, so if they kept on winning (which they did), it would only take one Liverpool defeat to change things, and one of their final 3 was against Chelsea who were obviously also doing very well.

Newcastle infamously had a 12 point lead at one stage, but even as late as 20th Feb after an away win at Boro, with only 12 or 13 game left, we were 9 clear, game in hand, and a far better GD:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/20-february-1996/

To go from averaging 2.4 points per game to only 7 points from the next 8 games (2W 1D 5L) was a disaster.

I disagree. With 3 games left and 3 points ahead (having beaten Man City) they lost at Chelsea due to Gerrard slipping over when a draw would have done and was doable, then they drew to Crystal Palace when they were 3-0 up with 10 minutes left. They were top for 6 of the last 7 weeks of the season.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I disagree. With 3 games left and 3 points ahead they lost at Chelsea due to Gerrard slipping over when a draw would have done and was doable, then they drew to Crystal Palace when they were 3-0 up with 10 minutes left. They were top for 6 of the last 7 weeks of the season.

Fair enough. I doubt we'll be able to see respective odds, but I'd imagine we'd be far more favoured in our strongest position that season than Liverpool were at the stage you referenced, both were slip ups from great positions (no pun intended), but ours will (rightly IMO) be remembered as the biggest.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Fair enough. I doubt we'll be able to see respective odds, but I'd imagine we'd be far more favoured in our strongest position that season than Liverpool were at the stage you referenced, both were slip ups from great positions (no pun intended), but ours will (rightly IMO) be remembered as the biggest.

We definitely were the furthest ahead but it was miles away from the end of the season really. Didn't Man United or Arsenal do similar a couple of years later?

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, mikejaxer said:

Be proper shite if City wins their 5th tile in 6 years

They're quite low in my spite rankings, compared to the rest of the ESL clubs, so I don't mind it.

1 minute ago, mikejaxer said:

Be proper shite if City wins their 5th tile in 6 years

Seems like a lot of people are in favour of it. I agree with you though.

What will be even more revolting is when they then go and get Bellingham this summer.

So much to look forward to!

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I did, need forest to win now ?

A Forest win here would be so incredibly sweet. 

Just seen Awoniyi is back too. I like that a lot! Especially with no Varane or Martinez.

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Man Utd had a 12 point gap in March in 1997-98, and were 5 points clear with 5 games left in 2011-12. 

I think that's the strongest position Man Utd were in that season prior to a loss at Sheff Wed the next day. 11 clear, but Arsenal had 2 games in hand.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/06-march-1998/

Man Utd did have a 12 point lead on Arsenal (3rd at the time) that season, which is often referenced, but Arsenal did have 3 games in hand.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/01-march-1998/