The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I think that's a very surface level way of looking at things. Firstly, Chelsea might have been underperforming, but they still have a squad which is brimful of high quality players. They are still capable of beating anyone bar City.

Secondly if we stumble now, it's not necessarily under-performance, our last 5 fixtures were always liable to provide some challenge, Leeds and Leicester were the only ones you could look at and say we should definitely win those.

But they've not shown it for a very long time. I am not talking about 3-4 games here. And there are lots of genuine reasons for their performance being bad. They've not beaten anyone bar Bournemouth at home in... 12.. 13 games? And they weren't much better before that under Potter.

And yes, it is. In the last 10 league games, we are 3rd. In the last 10 league games, Chelsea are 16th, Leeds 18th & Leicester 19th. If we don't get 7 points from these + Arsenal and Brighton at home, it's an underperformance

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

I'd say up until the World Cup I was in full "Just enjoy this" mode. The Chelsea game just before the break being the pinnacle. Then the focus was on the League Cup which was great up until the point we didn't win it, then my attention was back on the league, enjoying our response to losing the final up until Spurs/Everton when I thought "Shit, we might actually finish in the top four" and then my brain switched from enjoying it to stressing about the various permutations that would see us not finish in the top four, despite the fact that I would have snapped your hand off for 7th before the season started [emoji38]

It's the Brentford game for me. After that we only had Villa, Arsenal, Spurs & Brighton from good teams to face. The rest we are genuinely better than. And then Spurs sacked their manager and looked awful in the run-up.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

In theory I do agree with this. In reality though I am absolutely bricking it for Thursday, to the extent it feels like I'll almost not be able to enjoy it at this point. But usually by the time the game comes round I'm hyped up enough to lose the nerves and get into full battle stations mode.

Of course, me too at times. But at the same time, remember how bad we had it. 

If we lost out on CL that would be unfortunate, but I wouldn't be that sad as this would still be a very good season for us. 

I just really don't want to give the spot to fucking Liverpool. Can't stand them and their cunt fans. 

Edited by Peppe

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Of course, me too at times. But at the same time, remember how bad we had it. 

Pretty hard to forget we had Pardew and Kinnear in charge tbh, but the next game is always the most important one. What happened yesterday is gone. But yeah, we need to have perspective, I think most of us do, we'll still be bricking it though when Thursday comes around.

1 hour ago, Peppe said:

If we lost out on CL that would be unfortunate, but I wouldn't be that sad as this would still be a very good season for us. 

Bollocks to that. That’s just coping mechanism patter. I’d be gutted. We were 9 points clear. We would have had 5 games to get 2 wins. To throw the chance to be back in the elite competition would be devastating. Especially as Chelsea, Liverpool and spurs have had poor seasons by their standards. It’s the best chance we will have. It would still be a great season but would be typically Newcastle to get to a cup final and lose and miss out on top 4 when it was all but in the bag

Edited by gdm

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Bollocks to that. That’s just coping mechanism patter. I’d be gutted. We were 9 points clear. We would have had 5 games to get 2 wins. To throw the chance to be back in the elite competition would be devastating. Especially as Chelsea, Liverpool and spurs have had poor seasons by their standards. It’s the best chance we will have. It would still be a great season but would be typically Newcastle to get to a cup final and lose and miss out on top 4 when it was all but in the bag

It’s never been “all but in the bag” though has it. Most sensible people could see Liverpool’s trajectory, the fixtures list etc, and realised that there’s still some way to go.

I still think we’ll do it, by the way, but it smacks of people getting ahead of themselves.

16 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

It’s never been “all but in the bag” though has it. Most sensible people could see Liverpool’s trajectory, the fixtures list etc, and realised that there’s still some way to go.

I still think we’ll do it, by the way, but it smacks of people getting ahead of themselves.

Opta had it at 98% likely. That’s all but in the bag statistically. 

can’t remember the price but the bookies had us having it all but in the bag. 

point still remains we’d have let a 9 point lead slip and to suggest it’d be anything but upsetting is kidding yourself 

Edited by gdm

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

point still remains we’d have let a 9 point lead slip and to suggest it’d be anything but upsetting is kidding yourself 

It'd be disappointing, no doubt. It'd still have been an brilliant season though.

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

What opta say is meaningless, as are bookies odds. Liverpool we knew would go on this run. We’ve had two results in a row that are a minor “blip” but we’ve hardly bottled it. It was never in any way “all but done”. We’ve still got it all in our hands, but even if we don’t make it to suggest that something is done with 6 or 7 games left to play is ridiculous.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

What opta say is meaningless, as are bookies odds. Liverpool we knew would go on this run. We’ve had two results in a row that are a minor “blip” but we’ve hardly bottled it. It was never in any way “all but done”. We’ve still got it all in our hands, but even if we don’t make it to suggest that something is done with 6 or 7 games left to play is ridiculous.

If we can’t win 2 games out of 5. We’ve thrown it away. You can dress it up any way you like. Not being able to get two wins from the last 5 games will be poor form considering 3 of them were at home 

Just now, Kanji said:

We didn't let anything slip nor did we bottle anything if by end of the season we don't make CL. We've had a fucking monumental season.

No one suggested we bottled anything. It would have slipped out our hands if we don’t get it. Ridiculous to say otherwise 2 wins out of last 5 needed what’s that it not a slip :lol: 

Just now, Kanji said:

Poor for us not beating Arsenal? Poor for us not beating a top 6 side in Brighton? :lol: thrown it away. Fucking chill dude. 

Next you’ll be saying we didn’t throw away the league in 96 :lol:

Bookies’ odds aren’t meaningless though, are they? They’re the product of extremely advanced proprietary statistical modelling. We were ludicrously long odds to fail to qualify for top four. If we don’t manage it, it will be because of a disappointing collapse.

Just now, Joseph said:

Bookies’ odds aren’t meaningless though, are they? They’re the product of extremely advanced proprietary statistical modelling. We were ludicrously long odds to fail to qualify for top four. If we don’t manage it, it will be because of a disappointing collapse.

Of course the aren’t. Couldn’t be bothered arguing the point. 

Villa, Arsenal and Leeds game are the only dropped points in the last 11 games. You could argue Villa was a bad day at the office and Arsenal we were a bit unfortunate against a very good football team. Leeds we weren't great, but got ourselves ahead and should have closed out the game. 

I've seen nothing to suggest that we're "bottling it" yet. A couple of players are carrying knocks and the midfield looks a bit unbalanced without Longstaff, but we look fine mentally.