Anthony Gordon

Jack27

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Not featuring in first game due to ankle injury. Hope he can feature in 2nd game as I would be gutted for him if he somehow didn’t go Euros because we played him through the pain again. 

Feels though with no Rashford, Southgate is in on him and Grealish as LWs. And Eze is the back up.

a disgrace that the club who pay him asked him to play through an injury in an absolutely massive game. 

Should have subbed him immediately so he can go sit on the bench for England at the Euros. Added bonus of him then returning back late to pre season. 

Fuck International football. 

Just now, captainhaircut said:

a disgrace that the club who pay him asked him to play through an injury in an absolutely massive game. 

Should have subbed him immediately so he can go sit on the bench for England at the Euros. Added bonus of him then returning back late to pre season. 

I have as much interest in England winning a game of football as I have of how rose west is getting on in prison.

6 hours ago, captainhaircut said:

It’s more he was clearly fucked, not for the first time this season, and he was left on. 

All about long term picture.

7 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I have as much interest in England winning a game of football as I have of how rose west is getting on in prison.

Same - I genuinely couldn’t give a shit about international football.

I liked it more when NUFC were futile, because it was the only decent team I could enjoy and support. 

Each to their own but I find it strange that people aren't into England now when they've had as much success as they have. I know it's more for people who support non-PL clubs in a way, and I can understand why. But they are a good team so why not enjoy watching them?

53 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Same - I genuinely couldn’t give a shit about international football.

i never care about the national team, but once the tournaments get going, you cant help but get sucked in.

its the same every tournament - "couldnt care less" turns into "howay england!".

33 minutes ago, huss9 said:

i never care about the national team, but once the tournaments get going, you cant help but get sucked in.

its the same every tournament - "couldnt care less" turns into "howay england!".

England was always my second favorite team. I told that to a guy that flew over from London at work in the 90's and he said why. I said "Because I want to support a second team that has a chance". He says "Why pick England then".

7 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I liked it more when NUFC were futile, because it was the only decent team I could enjoy and support. 

Each to their own but I find it strange that people aren't into England now when they've had as much success as they have. I know it's more for people who support non-PL clubs in a way, and I can understand why. But they are a good team so why not enjoy watching them?

I think the worse we were the more I hated them, because there's one thing that unites the London media, the top 6 and English hooligans and that's the national team, they absolutely hate us and took more joy when we were pathetic. 

The thought of singing it's coming home (to some place on the opposite side of the country that resembles an absolute shithole) feels totally alien and wrong. 

We are on our own and have been for some time 

On 29/05/2024 at 22:50, Nobody said:

He played as a number 9 that tournament, and 2 goals and 1 assist doesn't sound too impressive Tbf :lol:

Feels so long ago since that tournament, but he was really good in ig IIRC. Gave us a glimpse of what was to come this season.

Best thing about Gordon is, I feel like he wont ever allow his levels to drop. He seems to have that Milner (or dare I say a non rapey C. Ronaldo) type of attitude where he just keeps on going and wanting to be as good as possible all the time. Really feel like this season was just the beginning for him 

Will confess to having underrated him - does look the real deal.

That's my sop to the stray Newcastle fans on here. Now for the antagonistic bit :mike: I see the Milner comparison but he had limited time as a forward really and was always the nice guy. Ronaldo - tad ambitious. How about Zaha? As universally loathed by other clubs as loved by his own club - very much amused by the comment somewhere above that bemoans the lack of penalties won in his stats. Top quality? 100% committed to the cause no matter what. I'll happily grant you Gordon has a higher ceiling than Zaha ever achieved given he got a transfer to the right club at the right time and may consequently develop in other ways but while fans of other clubs would like him to be the most fouled player in PL history doubt he'll get that accolade!!

Complete and utter tosspot (on the pitch) unless he's your tosspot. 

9 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

what success?

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Going far in tournaments, getting to a final etc. 

I think the "success" looks decent on paper, but almost every time England have come up against good opposition we've fell short. The routes through the last two competitions were pretty kind and basically all games you'd expect to win (and comfortably in a lot of cases), but granted you can only beat what's in front of you. 

I think there's just a general disconnect that has built due to frustrations with the same players being selected over and over, annoying international breaks for friendlies interrupting the club season, a poor footballing style even with some good players at our disposal, and a manager who epitomises "boring" in almost every respect. 

Personally I'm mildly happy if England win but couldn't give a shite if we lose. 

Gareth's biggest success in a single match is beating a generationally poor German side at home. 2 and 3 best moments are beating Colombia & Denmark.

In that same time the failure Martinez has: beaten England twice, Brazil & Portugal

Italy have not been to the last 2 World Cups but can still boast about beating: Spain, Belgium & England (away) to win the Euros.

Even Switzerland beat France in a KO round.

No matter what happens in the Euros. If England beat a top nation in the KO rounds, that's a big step forward. We've never done that in our history away from Wembley.

I love international tournament football, always have since I was a kid. Some of my favourite memories are from Euros/World Cups. I totally ‘zone out’ from club football during the tournaments, don’t give it a second thought. England’s problem is similar to Newcastle’s. They need to turn up for the really big games and break through that barrier. It’s largely a cakewalk for England until we draw one of the usual suspects and we invariably lose. Southgate has made loving England quite hard but I’m still excited for the Euros.

2 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

I love international tournament football, always have since I was a kid. Some of my favourite memories are from Euros/World Cups. I totally ‘zone out’ from club football during the tournaments, don’t give it a second thought. England’s problem is similar to Newcastle’s. They need to turn up for the really big games and break through that barrier. It’s largely a cakewalk for England until we draw one of the usual suspects and we invariably lose. Southgate has made loving England quite hard but I’m still excited for the Euros.

It's a bit harder to judge international football in terms of what a team *should* do.

There's only 4 roles in the team people seem universally happy with.

Pickford, Walker, Saka, Kane.

Most would want Stones at CB but he's struggled for fitness all season. Maguire will start at CB but most aren't happy with it. Rice, Foden & Bellingham will start but their roles are debated.

One thing I really don't like about Gareth - is he typically has no invention in his approach. Apart from playing Trippier at left-back he plays everyone in the precise role they play at club football. I expect Bellingham to start at 10 because he's been further forward at Real. He should play a deeper, conservative role for England. We don't need him at 10.

Says something that Newcastle have won a major trophy more recently than England. :lol:

And we've been to a major final more recently too.

Anyway, England football has always felt more like a London / Manchester / Liverpool thing than anything that I, as a Geordie could get behind with much vigour. At least since Shearer stopped playing, that is, though I accept that's largely because we've been shit since then. Having Trippier and Gordon there will definitely help and give me something I can latch on to.

It's always felt hard to cheer on Kane, Rashford or whoever into winning more trophies, to becoming national idols that our players will never become, to be further celebrated by their own clubs. It's just a bit hollow to cheer people I'd normally want to fail. That said I obviously always get swept along with it and do want England to win, but I'd take Newcastle winning a solitary League Cup without hesitation, over a generation of repeated success and multiple trophies for England.

56 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

IMG_4545.jpeg

I remember around 2006, just before the footy world cup in Germany, there was a great Northern Rock ad (I think) that showed Jonny Wilkinson (of Newcastle Falcons), Harmison (of Durham CCC) and Michael Owen (then of NUFC) - Jonny was holding the Rugby World cup as England were the recent holders, Harmison was holding the ashes due to Englands 2005 win, and then they were looking over at Owen saying it's over to you... 

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Those adverts were pulled after Own fucked his knee. [emoji38]

Pretty sure there was another one of him on a baggage carousel with the caption "can we have him back in one piece, please?" :anguish: