[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

And it's incorrect decisions we're talking about. Getting a pen at home to Bournemouth is the only time we've benefitted from an incorrect decision imo.

Meanwhile Sabitzer just nearly snapped someone's leg and Rashford got away with doing interpretive dance around the ball against Man City 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

So can I. Newcastle are the team who have benefitted the most from overturned VAR decisions this season. 

Hope we get a good neutral ref. 

So that therefore means we have had the worst ref decisions. So yes a good ref please, but it looks like we haven’t got that.

I hate VAR as much as the next fan. But the notion that refs are biased towards us is utter nonsense. :lol:

The Rashford decision against City was horrendous and has stuck in people's minds. 

Edited by Froggy

I’ve genuinely never met a Manchester United fan who didn’t genuinely (begrudgingly) accept they’ve always gotten the rub of the luck from refs. Fucking go away with that shit this week, at the very least. 

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

Aye me too. Hoping they do arrive like. TBH maybe it’s just recency bias, we’ve been so good for about a year that I don’t think I’ve needed to feel nervous. Pretty sure I felt it during those huge relegation games last season until it was clear we were going to be fine.

I know what you mean. I've mentioned it a few times now but my emotions are up and down these days.

I've had brief spells of the intense feelings suddenly being reduced and that invariably gets me down a bit whenever it's happened. After we won at Spurs, for instance, I suddenly went quite numb for a bit. 

There's a few things which contribute to it, I think. It's a symptom of the damage left behind from so much time spent feeling apathetic or outright anti-NUFC during the Ashley era; there's the problematic nature of the current ownership; there's the fact I no longer identify with some of the fanbase (having grown up wishing I was a 'real' Geordie); there's the relentlessness of this season's fixture list (less time to 'miss' the team) and there's all of the other unlikable things about the nature of today's game at the elite level. Then there's this notion that NUFC, suddenly, are inevitably going to be successful - which, if you believe it, has emotional implications and philosophical quandaries given the 'why', and given who we might compare ourselves to if indeed the trophies do come along. 

Thankfully, there's so much that's good about what's happening - new characters to associate with and fall in love with, redemption stories, drama on the pitch, still punching above our weight despite the changing circumstances, the novelty of cup runs - that my fleeting spells of numbness get batted away without too much fuss. 

And there's nothing like a proper weekend-ruiner (like yesterday) to rejuvenate those feelings of anguish/disappointment/rage which are then repurposed as desperation to win by the time the next game comes along. If I needed it, my mindset about next week has been given a serious shot of nerves/excitement now that I'm less confident.