[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Rashford is putting away the chances that Wilson and Isak are not. It’s about as simple as that for me. Otherwise I don’t see much of a difference between the two. 

He keeps it low and on target, that’s always gonna give you a chance - the amount of shots where we can’t hit the target is mental for me.

Said it before the betting thing came out and I stand by it, we should go all out for Toney in the summer.

Edited by Gawalls

We'll be up against it alright. Against a team bang in form, with our defence looking shaky with a reserve goalie behind them, front line misfiring.  It's not played on paper though.

Positive is obvs Bruno coming back in and the players can empty the tank on the day. I'm of the opinion the final has had a bearing on league performances outwith missing our Brazilian magician. The players potentially playing within themselves. That all ends on Sunday.

Edited by DoricGinola

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Need someone to leave a foot out and get stamped on by Rashford this week so he gets red carded. 

He wouldn’t get sent off if he did.  We’ve already seen that with Sabitzer.

Just now, STM said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to play Joelinton out wide and bring Willock back in. We are just more solid like that. Leaves us Maxi and Isak from the bench too.

I’d honestly be tempted to play Maxi on the right and sit Almiron. 

While we have been offkey of late, struggled with some injuries and sending offs, you know we will get a totally different performance in the final against Man Utd. Literally a win away from a trophy, Eddie and the boys will be fully up for this. I can't wait.

2 minutes ago, DoricGinola said:

We'll be up against it alright. Against a team bang in form, with our defence looking shaky with a reserve goalie behind them, front line misfiring.  It's not played on paper though.

Positive is obvs Bruno coming back in and the players can empty the tank on the day. I'm of the opinion the final has had a bearing on league performances outwith missing our Brazilian magician. The players potentially playing within themselves. That all ends on Sunday.

And what about the winless games before we made it to the final and Bruno’s suspension? We’ve been misfiring since the restart after the wc and i simply think our small squad, high pressure team are just knackered.

With it being a final will give them some extra energy but this Man U team does what it takes to win games and score a lot in the dying minutes as well. I’m expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to play Joelinton out wide and bring Willock back in. We are just more solid like that. Leaves us Maxi and Isak from the bench too.

Willocks injured 

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

Really hope he’s doesnt drop maxi then and go back to normal. 

Fairly sure that won't happen.  Maxi's been given the chance he's been waiting for and earned his spot now, it's his to lose imo. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I know what you mean. I've mentioned it a few times now but my emotions are up and down these days.

I've had brief spells of the intense feelings suddenly being reduced and that invariably gets me down a bit whenever it's happened. After we won at Spurs, for instance, I suddenly went quite numb for a bit. 

There's a few things which contribute to it, I think. It's a symptom of the damage left behind from so much time spent feeling apathetic or outright anti-NUFC during the Ashley era; there's the problematic nature of the current ownership; there's the fact I no longer identify with some of the fanbase (having grown up wishing I was a 'real' Geordie); there's the relentlessness of this season's fixture list (less time to 'miss' the team) and there's all of the other unlikable things about the nature of today's game at the elite level. Then there's this notion that NUFC, suddenly, are inevitably going to be successful - which, if you believe it, has emotional implications and philosophical quandaries given the 'why', and given who we might compare ourselves to if indeed the trophies do come along. 

Thankfully, there's so much that's good about what's happening - new characters to associate with and fall in love with, redemption stories, drama on the pitch, still punching above our weight despite the changing circumstances, the novelty of cup runs - that my fleeting spells of numbness get batted away without too much fuss. 

And there's nothing like a proper weekend-ruiner (like yesterday) to rejuvenate those feelings of anguish/disappointment/rage which are then repurposed as desperation to win by the time the next game comes along. If I needed it, my mindset about next week has been given a serious shot of nerves/excitement now that I'm less confident. 

I agree with much of this. Another thing for me is not having a season ticket after having one for almost 20 years before Bruce came. I feel more on the periphery  these days. Even more so with recent debates about who deserves Wembley tickets and ‘rewarding loyal fans’. Doesn’t help, when you can get tickets they’re are typically in the Leazes which doesn’t compare in anyway to the strawberry corner.