N-O League Cup Final Meet (Newcastle)

BlazeT44

42 minutes ago, Coco said:

I was "busy" last week and completely missed this. Very tempted, but I don't think I can swing it. Likely going be sat at home, wishing I was over for all the craic.

I went from "can't possibly swing it" to booking flights in an hour one evening last week. Flights are cheaper now though somehow ffs

You to thank technically as it was talking to Rich after being eliminated from Traitors that I decided to just fucking do it :lol:

Myself and Decky are both going over from Dublin the early flight Sunday morning and back late on Monday night. The hotel I'm staying in is about 60 quid for a room, was shocked how reasonable it was compared to Dublin prices at the moment.

No chance at all you can pull it off?

23 minutes ago, Shak said:

I went from "can't possibly swing it" to booking flights in an hour one evening last week. Flights are cheaper now though somehow ffs

You to thank technically as it was talking to Rich after being eliminated from Traitors that I decided to just fucking do it :lol:

Myself and Decky are both going over from Dublin the early flight Sunday morning and back late on Monday night. The hotel I'm staying in is about 60 quid for a room, was shocked how reasonable it was compared to Dublin prices at the moment.

No chance at all you can pull it off?

Had it been last week I could have tried, but shit happened last night and life is kinda up in the air right now (my sister had a bit of a breakdown and got arrested for drink driving, now my folks are in full on panic mode). I'll have a clearer picture as the week progresses, but it's honestly looking unlikely. 

Sorry to hear that, hope she can get the support she needs and that it doesn’t hurt your parents too much. As I get older and talk more to parents it seems like the emotional side of being a parent doesn’t lessen as your kids age. I think I naively thought that once your kids become adults it would become less raw to see them having a tough time but that’s not been my experience of talking to people at all 

27 minutes ago, Coco said:

Had it been last week I could have tried, but shit happened last night and life is kinda up in the air right now (my sister had a bit of a breakdown and got arrested for drink driving, now my folks are in full on panic mode). I'll have a clearer picture as the week progresses, but it's honestly looking unlikely. 

If things do settle down and you can make it let me know, seems the flights are going down in price and there are hotels so you never know, might be doable at the last minute.

Sorry to hear all of that though, hope your sister will be alright and it's not too stressful on you and your parents. Obviously that's the most important thing.

If anyone more experienced with travel planning than me could try to figure out the easiest/cheapest route from Oslo to Newcastle and back, I'd be eternally grateful. No knowledge of train/bus systems in England and there's no direct Oslo - Newcastle flights. To make things easier I could travel with only hand luggage, with regards to changing planes. London having airports west, east, south and north of London just complicated matters and confused me as I could fly in to Gatwick but then would need to fly out of Stansted, but between those there's essentially a two hour £200 taxi drive which would be more expensive than the flight tickets themselves :lol: 

No issues with taking a bus or train from say Manchester, Bristol or even London if that's easier/cheaper and I make it up in time. Thinking I could arrive on Thurs/Fri and depart on late Mon or anytime Tuesday. 

Also, if anyone wants to split costs on hotel/airbnb I'd be open to that. Or if anyone have a spare couch. Only issue you'll get is my snoring as my C-PAP machine alone makes traveling without checked lyggage impossible, so ditching that for the weekend :lol: 

All that said, I might be in London and not Oslo on the Thurs/Fri, so any assistiance on cheapest/best travel/routes from there to Newcastle would also be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

If anyone more experienced with travel planning than me could try to figure out the easiest/cheapest route from Oslo to Newcastle and back, I'd be eternally grateful. No knowledge of train/bus systems in England and there's no direct Oslo - Newcastle flights. To make things easier I could travel with only hand luggage, with regards to changing planes. London having airports west, east, south and north of London just complicated matters and confused me as I could fly in to Gatwick but then would need to fly out of Stansted, but between those there's essentially a two hour £200 taxi drive which would be more expensive than the flight tickets themselves :lol: 

No issues with taking a bus or train from say Manchester, Bristol or even London if that's easier/cheaper and I make it up in time. Thinking I could arrive on Thurs/Fri and depart on late Mon or anytime Tuesday. 

Also, if anyone wants to split costs on hotel/airbnb I'd be open to that. Or if anyone have a spare couch. Only issue you'll get is my snoring as my C-PAP machine alone makes traveling without checked lyggage impossible, so ditching that for the weekend :lol: 

All that said, I might be in London and not Oslo on the Thurs/Fri, so any assistiance on cheapest/best travel/routes from there to Newcastle would also be appreciated.

Can you only fly in to/out of Gatwick? Train from Kings Cross in London is easy enough to Newcastle. If you fly in to Manchester I think you'll have to change at Leeds to get to Newcastle (Train). Bristol would be the most hassle. If you time it right I think it'll be quicker to fly in to Gatwick, get the train to Kings Cross then get the train to Newcastle than to get to Stanstead and fly to Newcastle. 

You basically want to get the train from London or Manchester imo. Depending on where you arrive. Manchester airport to Manchester Piccadilly/Victoria train stations will likely be more annoying than Gatwick to KX. And journey times are pretty much the same.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

12 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

A quick look shows you can do OSL-LHR then LHR-NCL with BA or OSL-AMS then AMS-NCL with KLM, though neither are remotely cheap.

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Can you only fly in to/out of Gatwick? Train from Kings Cross in London is easy enough to Newcastle. If you fly in to Manchester I think you'll have to change at Leeds to get to Newcastle (Train). Bristol would be the most hassle. If you time it right I think it'll be quicker to fly in to Gatwick, get the train to Kings Cross then get the train to Newcastle than to get to Stanstead and fly to Newcastle. 

You basically want to get the train from London or Manchester imo. Depending on where you arrive. Manchester airport to Manchester Piccadilly/Victoria train stations will likely be more annoying than Gatwick to KX. And journey times are pretty much the same.

Cheers :thup: What are the prices on average for a train ticket from King's Cross to Newcastle? And how long does it take?

Can't imagine it'd take more than 7 hours given how compact England is? A train from Oslo to Trondheim takes about 7 hours and I feel that distance is longer than London to Newcastle when looking at a map :lol: 

2 minutes ago, JB said:

A quick look shows you can do OSL-LHR then LHR-NCL with BA or OSL-AMS then AMS-NCL with KLM, though neither are remotely cheap.

Seen those, but don't want to waste so much on ticket prices. My days of being rich-rich to the level I won't care about ticket prices are hopefully (knock on wood) closing in on me, but not here quite yet :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Cheers :thup: What are the prices on average for a train ticket from King's Cross to Newcastle? And how long does it take?

Can't imagine it'd take more than 7 hours given how compact England is? A train from Oslo to Trondheim takes about 7 hours and I feel that distance is longer than London to Newcastle when looking at a map :lol: 

LKX-New return looks like about ~£130 (out on Friday back on Monday) or Man-New return is probably ~£70 for same days rn. Prices will change as days go by though. Mybe add an extra £10 for trains from respective airports to train stations to Newcastle.

Kings X to Newcastle is 3 hrs. Manchester to Newcastle maybe 20mins less.

EDIT: Best site for looking at possible train times and prices - https://www.thetrainline.com/. You'll want Kings Cross to Newcastle return or Manchester (any) to Newcastle return.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

11 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

At the moment you're looking at £90-£100 for a return train ticket from Kings Cross to Newcastle. Journey time is 3 hours.

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

Seen those, but don't want to waste so much on ticket prices. My days of being rich-rich to the level I won't care about ticket prices are hopefully (knock on wood) closing in on me, but not here quite yet :lol: 

Aye, they're a bit pricey at this point. And that's coming from someone who's just lost £250 on cancelled flights/trains to get over for this :lol:

Oddly enough, I've just found out you can get direct flights between Stavanger and Newcastle, with Loganair. Again, eye wateringly expensive though.