Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 minute ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Have they not also arranged the deal so they keep the hotel income?

I think that’s right but CFC  sold the properties not the hotel business 

41 minutes ago, Terraloon said:

So still a scam then. You wouldn't buy the properties if you can't receive the income.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

So still a scam then. You wouldn't buy the properties if you can't receive the income.

I would imagine that there would be some sort of notional or contra payment paid from the trading hotel income  by way of rent or the like but sorry I have no info how the arrangement is contracted to work.

If you look at most commercial entities the business itself doesn’t actually own the building it’s a landlord who doesn’t get the income of the business but a commercial rent. 

Edited by Terraloon

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

King Street club?

It’s a shithole.

Bit of a place to be these days if you're into dance music like. 

I'm too old for it that these days but it's doing really well from it apparently. 

Just had a massive new sound system put in upstairs. 

1 hour ago, Terraloon said:

So what's to stop the hotels new owner (a Chelsea business I believe) selling it back to CFC for a quid, then CFC selling it back to them for millions again? Probably is something, but it sounds like something they'd try and likely get away with

2 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

Bit of a place to be these days if you're into dance music like. 

I'm too old for it that these days but it's doing really well from it apparently. 

Just had a massive new sound system put in upstairs. 

Just heard recently that they are doing it out to be a music venue. I guess since Magnesia Bank closed, there is nothing around here anymore. 

On  Arsenal Mania🤷‍♂️

A little light hearted fantasy...or maybe not...

Dear Stan

Following on from some of our discussions over the last two years about the Super-League (obviously we won’t call it that again), we here at City Group, along with our friends up at Newcastle and Qatari colleagues in Paris have decided to finally bite the bullet and start a break-away organisation, and we’re going global!

As previously discussed, we don’t think it reasonable to expect any business, just like yours, that has invested millions in its club, to have to share profits with other less well managed clubs and with lower-level leagues. I can think of no other business where you must share profit with smaller competitors, and you cannot invest what you want to invest in your own business. Madness if you ask me. Have these people ever run a business?

Anyway, we’d like you to join our merry band of like-minded owners. We’ve already quietly signed-up Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico, Bayern, Man Utd (the Glazer boys didn’t sell-up cos they knew this was coming), Juventus obviously, both the Milan clubs too. David Beckham has also thrown his hat in the ring and a few of the other big MSL guys. Some of the Brazilian teams are trying to get a foot in too. We’re confident of getting the top 20 clubs in the world. In fact, interest has been so high that we’re now thinking of limiting numbers. That said, Sp**s have applied, but we’re going to have to take a vote on that one. You know my thoughts on that weasel Levy. Maybe Sp**s will now win something if everyone else leaves 

So, being a businessman, you’ll want to know the benefits if you join. Well, we will all collectively own the broadcast rights to the matches. But you only get paid the income from viewers of your Team. None of this old-hat satellite crap. We’re talking global pay-per-view internet streaming here. Our research predicts Arsenal could bring in 10 million viewers a game globally - minimum. At $5 clear a pop that’s $50m a game straight to you for each of 19 home games. Add in a couple of new cup competitions we’re planning and you’re looking at a £1bn+ a year to you. Obviously, the more successful you are, the more viewers you will attract. So, there’s an incentive to keep investing and improving your team. Also, there’s no relegation, so no risk! What a business model!!

Obvs there will be some shared infrastructure running costs. However, as you know, Little Jeff over at Amazon has been running a PAYG football streaming platform via Prime for a couple of years now. He’s been on board with us from day one and has been doing this to prepare for our launch. It’s 5% of all fees to him, which, whilst expensive, means we have a tested robust platform from day one.

You can still negotiate naming rights and other sponsorship deals yourself and you get to keep it all! All gate fees are yours, but we suggest you reduce prices considerably to keep the fans happy and so that you have a full stadium on match days. People like a day out, and you’ll be more than compensated via the streaming fees.

Let me also address the two elephants in the room. Firstly, each club will be allowed to invest as much or as little as they want in their clubs. At the end of the day each Team can only have a squad of 25. This also makes it easier to be transparent and nobody can be accused of cheating. Literally a level playing field, AND you can run your business how you see fit.

It will of course likely be the end of the Premier League, but as you know, deregulation is the way to free up businesses to grow. Dinosaurs always end up extinct. Also, people accused us of cheating through investing in our business. I’ll say that again, cheating by investing in OUR BUSINESS FFS. However, they were ok with Sepp and Platini helping themselves.

Secondly, I know the fans were up in arms when Juventus mucked up the previous launch, but true Arsenal Fans won’t stop watching Arsenal, and they will get a bigger buzz watching you play Real Madrid than Luton Town. There may be some noise at first, but it will soon die down once the first season starts. We just need to land the message a bit better, so we’ve started a sneaky social media campaign this time, and we’re doing some polling to know when the time is right.

Finally, the Gulf state clubs have put together a little incentive fund. Come join our new Global League and there’s a half a billion dollars as a signing on fee for you!

Stan, unfortunately, this is a one-time offer as we’re unlikely to expand beyond 20 teams. Please don’t miss the boat.

You know it makes sense.

Let’s catch-up at the Euros. Bring Josh, but keep it quiet for now.

All the Best to the family.

Khaldhoon

Reactions:albakos, Sniper Mik and Riou

Yesterday

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I just think back to what happened to world golf…………just saying

Not au fait with golf but iirc there was a big uproar about Saudi and liv. A bunch of golfers joined LIV and were shunned by the main golfing association. They then turned around and said “hang on LIV is cool after all”. Am I in the right ball park?

Edited by Joelinton7

3 minutes ago, Holloway said:

could someone explain what's amazing about that, i'm knocking on a bit

There’s nowt amazing about it and it was a bit tongue in cheek on the Arsenal forum……..but the Gulf states have the potential to do that, buy a sport.

3 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Not au fait with golf but iirc there was a big uproar about Saudi and liv. A bunch of golfers joined LIV and were shunned by the main golfing association. They then turned around and said “hang on LIV is cool after all”. Am I in the right ball park?

Yep and eventually the USPGA had to enter into an agreement to co-exist.

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

So kind of a coup by Saudi?

Well the yanks couldn’t ignore them and they’ve always seen golf as one of their major sports…despite the history of the game.

27 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

On  Arsenal Mania🤷‍♂️

Dear Stan

Following on from some of our discussions over the last two years about the Super-League (obviously we won’t call it that again), we here at City Group, along with our friends up at Newcastle and Qatari colleagues in Paris have decided to finally bite the bullet and start a break-away organisation, and we’re going global!

As previously discussed, we don’t think it reasonable to expect any business, just like yours, that has invested millions in its club, to have to share profits with other less well managed clubs and with lower-level leagues. I can think of no other business where you must share profit with smaller competitors, and you cannot invest what you want to invest in your own business. Madness if you ask me. Have these people ever run a business?

Anyway, we’d like you to join our merry band of like-minded owners. We’ve already quietly signed-up Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico, Bayern, Man Utd (the Glazer boys didn’t sell-up cos they knew this was coming), Juventus obviously, both the Milan clubs too. David Beckham has also thrown his hat in the ring and a few of the other big MSL guys. Some of the Brazilian teams are trying to get a foot in too. We’re confident of getting the top 20 clubs in the world. In fact, interest has been so high that we’re now thinking of limiting numbers. That said, Sp**s have applied, but we’re going to have to take a vote on that one. You know my thoughts on that weasel Levy. Maybe Sp**s will now win something if everyone else leaves 

So, being a businessman, you’ll want to know the benefits if you join. Well, we will all collectively own the broadcast rights to the matches. But you only get paid the income from viewers of your Team. None of this old-hat satellite crap. We’re talking global pay-per-view internet streaming here. Our research predicts Arsenal could bring in 10 million viewers a game globally - minimum. At $5 clear a pop that’s $50m a game straight to you for each of 19 home games. Add in a couple of new cup competitions we’re planning and you’re looking at a £1bn+ a year to you. Obviously, the more successful you are, the more viewers you will attract. So, there’s an incentive to keep investing and improving your team. Also, there’s no relegation, so no risk! What a business model!!

Obvs there will be some shared infrastructure running costs. However, as you know, Little Jeff over at Amazon has been running a PAYG football streaming platform via Prime for a couple of years now. He’s been on board with us from day one and has been doing this to prepare for our launch. It’s 5% of all fees to him, which, whilst expensive, means we have a tested robust platform from day one.

You can still negotiate naming rights and other sponsorship deals yourself and you get to keep it all! All gate fees are yours, but we suggest you reduce prices considerably to keep the fans happy and so that you have a full stadium on match days. People like a day out, and you’ll be more than compensated via the streaming fees.

Let me also address the two elephants in the room. Firstly, each club will be allowed to invest as much or as little as they want in their clubs. At the end of the day each Team can only have a squad of 25. This also makes it easier to be transparent and nobody can be accused of cheating. Literally a level playing field, AND you can run your business how you see fit.

It will of course likely be the end of the Premier League, but as you know, deregulation is the way to free up businesses to grow. Dinosaurs always end up extinct. Also, people accused us of cheating through investing in our business. I’ll say that again, cheating by investing in OUR BUSINESS FFS. However, they were ok with Sepp and Platini helping themselves.

Secondly, I know the fans were up in arms when Juventus mucked up the previous launch, but true Arsenal Fans won’t stop watching Arsenal, and they will get a bigger buzz watching you play Real Madrid than Luton Town. There may be some noise at first, but it will soon die down once the first season starts. We just need to land the message a bit better, so we’ve started a sneaky social media campaign this time, and we’re doing some polling to know when the time is right.

Finally, the Gulf state clubs have put together a little incentive fund. Come join our new Global League and there’s a half a billion dollars as a signing on fee for you!

Stan, unfortunately, this is a one-time offer as we’re unlikely to expand beyond 20 teams. Please don’t miss the boat.

You know it makes sense.

Khaldhoon

Yesterday

I mean, even ignoring the fact that someone has bothered themselves to write all that out, how come we always get bunged in with all these mega-spending clubs who are hovering up trophies left, right and centre? Here's us unable to scrape enough pennies together to hold a crippled squad together in January while simultaneously plotting the downfall of football as we know it?

It's also not lost on me that the list of clubs in their fantasy breakaway league is just the actual Super League clubs with us added and themselves as the underdog outsiders being dragged along for the ride ffs [emoji38] 

15 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

So kind of a coup by Saudi?

12 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Well the yanks couldn’t ignore them and they’ve always seen golf as one of their major sports…despite the history of the game.

Ultimately, what the Saudis have always wanted from golf is the access to corporate America that it brings. Had Augusta just given Yasir membership when he tried to get it a few years back, I doubt LIV would exist. But they didn't and here we are :lol:

Golf has always been and will always be a niche sport. Tiger was a phenom that generated more casual interest than before but for the vast majority of the world it's a sport that only the wealthy have access to. Paying Jon Rahm half a billion to play golf on your tour is an investment that has no chance of being profitable in the long term from a purely sporting perspective but they did it because they want to be a big player in the sport for the access it will afford them.

The "deal" they made to merge a year ago was really just a handshake agreement for the PGA and PIF to try to work together on shaping the professional game. It was mostly made because neither side wanted to be subjected to discovery in the legal battle they had coming up, but by all accounts it seemed like they were gonna try to merge.

Since then, things have changed and some on the PGA board (Tiger among them) seem to be trying to go it alone with other investors and I really wish they wouldn't. LIV as a product is absolute shite but it's achieving its goal of diminishing the PGA Tour and by all accounts they have no intention of slowing down. They'll keep pouring silly money into it until the PGA has no choice but to incorporate them and give PIF a large seat at the table and all the sweet corporate perks that will bring them.

The end result is that week to week golf is a pretty shitty product for fans like me to follow, but the hope is that this civil war will force the product to evolve into something better either to defeat PIF or (much more likely) by incorporating their resources into making a better product.

In short, going to war with an entity with unlimited resources is not a good move :lol:

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

So what's to stop the hotels new owner (a Chelsea business I believe) selling it back to CFC for a quid, then CFC selling it back to them for millions again? Probably is something, but it sounds like something they'd try and likely get away with

Because HMRC wouldn’t just allow that  involving the VO Agency to determine the commercial value of the properties particularly if the properties were disposed of for that much under their depreciated value 

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

On  Arsenal Mania🤷‍♂️

Dear Stan

You know it makes sense.

Khaldhoon

Yesterday

Not a massive stretch really.