Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Op of this, we have seen in recent years how regulators such as OFGEM are very happy to follow the money and do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to do.

Beat me to it. 

"Independent Regulator" my arse, as Jim Royle would say. 

OFGEN, OFCOM, OFWAT et al. Absolute scam. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Why is it so much worse now than earlier? Is it because the PL has actually started to apply harsh punsihments, contrary to earlier seasons? Or is it just the inflation factor?

Edited by Erikse

10 minutes ago, Beth said:

On the contrary, I think City are laughing their tits off right now, it's made them virtually uncatchable.

Not if some of the charges against them prove to be right.  They will probably have all sorts of sanctions and that might well leave them in a far worse place, albeit they have a significant youth setup which would see them come good again I would have thought over a period of time.  Pep won't hand around for long if they start getting massive heat and fines. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Wonder of this has anything to do with Joelinton seemingly not getting a new contract yet.  Either that or he is asking for way to much (probably the same as Bruno). 

Amazing how quickly the whole show has come to grinding halt for some many clubs because of FFP.  Is that because they are cautious (Everton/Forest etc) or they know it they are pretty close to or over the limit, and it's coming their way too?

10 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Not if some of the charges against them prove to be right.  They will probably have all sorts of sanctions and that might well leave them in a far worse place, albeit they have a significant youth setup which would see them come good again I would have thought over a period of time.  Pep won't hand around for long if they start getting massive heat and fines. 

Just noticed their academy side in the PL2 is absolutely rock bottom of the league. They won it last year, what on earth has gone on there?

6 minutes ago, duo said:

How does FPP rules compare to that introduced by UEFA?

UEFA's has three components around Stability, Solvency, and Cost Control. The main one that is new and different is squad cost ratio, which has elements of a salary cap and luxury tax. Basically the cost of the team will need to be at most 70% of a club's revenue (phase in as 90% in 2023/24 and 80% in 2024/25).

Costs include:

• Wages of players and head coaches
  • Player amortisation and impairment
  • Termination payments for players and head coaches
  • Agents’ fees and cost of other intermediaries

Revenue includes:

• Operating revenue (adjusted for fair value, if required)
  • Profit from player sales
  • Other transfer income/expenses

The penalty for exceeding this threshold is a fine that escalates based on how far over a club is and how many years they've been in violation. Though it sounds like the penalty for the other pillars can include sporting sanctions as well. 

28 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Why is it so much worse now than earlier? Is it because the PL has actually started to apply harsh punsihments, contrary to earlier seasons? Or is it just the inflation factor?

A combination of a misreading of the PL (and that they’d actually apply proper punishments) and the COVID write-offs getting the clubs used to the idea that a spot of Hollywood accounting would make everything ok.  I suspect that there are a few clubs currently bricking it

8 hours ago, Dokko said:

If he has, and on purpose, my opinion of him changes dramatically. 

Both the Ashworth and Eales interviews when they happened seemed odd and baffled lots of fans including myself. It looks like it’s part of a wider stratergy. The noise and publicity by the media is growing louder by the day. Eales also indicated that the club wouldn’t challenge FFP/PSR legally, however even talking about such action gives the PL food for thought.

It’ll be interesting what comes out of the PL meeting in February, FFP/PSR has to be high on the agenda.

9 hours ago, Erikse said:

Clubs got to roll 2 years into 1 during Covid 19/20-20/21, so because they had that extra room probably lived a little beyond their means and are feeling it now. 

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

Clubs got to roll 2 years into 1 during Covid 19/20-20/21, so because they had that extra room probably lived a little beyond their means and are feeling it now. 

Not NUFC’s issue. We’ve got the means but the current mechanisms and accounting do us over. Unlike others, our owners are willing to plough in their own funds (or more realistically PIF’s).

8 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Interesting take on Darren Eales interview a few weeks back.

https://x.com/davidpick1987/status/1752071723988455831?s=61&t=Yt8DTJJ-7Jh_ndgpdGSFKQ

8 hours ago, lovejoy said:

Think thats spot on, personally.

We did similar with the saudi loans earlier in the season.

Rafferty's Jukebox is a bit unhinged mind 😂 

Who's he on here? 🤔😉

16 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Not NUFC’s issue. We’ve got the means but the current mechanisms and accounting do us over. Unlike others, our owners are willing to plough in their own funds (or more realistically PIF’s).

I know it’s not our issue, our issue is we have spent massively from a low base to try and catch up, we should have a nice chunk of room come July 1st due to £220k plus coming off the wage bill from contract expiration and that rises to £320k if we can get rid of the dead wood, also the initial takeover January outlay drops off the 3 year rolling period. 

If clubs are going to push to the limit, which they'd probably be remiss not to, I don't see why future windows would be too different to this even after everyone gets used to it. Everyone will be reliant on selling, even Man U to turn that squad around, and with few able to buy big certainly on their silage, no Saudi league and no new owners able to spend to get things churning away again. 

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

People are going to be properly disappointed when they tighten FFP further :lol:

Like it or loathe it, the Sky money makes the premier league what it is.

What should be one of their busiest months in terms of reporters everywhere and people tuning in.. (which feeds back into their ad revenue) is essentially tumbleweed this month, aside from Klopp. There’s been no reason for anyone to tune in.

That conversation may not happen straight away but when they see their own revenue reports and wonder what happened, someone will point this out.. they pay enough money to the PL to have a voice in someone’s ear.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Like it or loathe it, the Sky money makes the premier league what it is.

What should be one of their busiest months in terms of reporters everywhere and people tuning in.. (which feeds back into their ad revenue) is essentially tumbleweed this month, aside from Klopp. There’s been no reason for anyone to tune in.

That conversation may not happen straight away but when they see their own revenue reports and wonder what happened, someone will point this out.. they pay enough money to the PL to have a voice in someone’s ear.

Yeah, people have mentioned this but I just don’t view it that way. SSN isn’t a money spinner imo, it’s the ridiculously priced subscriptions which are, a quiet window won’t change that i think. 

Also, this is temporary, once the rolling period ends we will see the market move again. 

Even if your right, and Sky are upset ultimately they don’t get a vote regarding the rules of the league so they will have to suck thumb.