Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It protects other clubs from inflationary pressures re wages and transfer fees.  FFP helps both the elite and those that aren’t.  The clubs who want to join the elite - which could be counted on one hand with fingers to spare - are the only ones who are hamstrung.  Not saying that’s fair like - but the vast, vast majority will be perfectly happy 

Then maybe we as an ambitious club should be content with just competing in the PL with the odd European jaunt and the odd trophy, LC or FA cup……that’s went well over the last 67 years hasn’t it.

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

Then maybe we as an ambitious club should be content with just competing in the PL with the odd European jaunt and the odd trophy, LC or FA cup……that’s went well over the last 67 years hasn’t it.

Not saying we should be happy about it - just that FFP isn’t as unpopular as some are making out, and it isn’t about to start a Levellers moment in football

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

If it went to an anti-competition court, it would be torn to shreds and blow FFP apart. It's only a matter of time before the legal challenge comes in. The fact that owners can't invest within their own business is totally against UK business law never mind competition law. 

I really, really hope that happens... I won't hold my breath though. The more I look at it, the more it seems the revenue guys behind all this protectionism are looking at concentrating on what money they can make from neutrals and fans of the established arsehole clubs. Fuck anyone else, it's a win for the Americans, just a short step to player drafts and their wanky NFL setup.

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

If it went to an anti-competition court, it would be torn to shreds and blow FFP apart. It's only a matter of time before the legal challenge comes in. The fact that owners can't invest within their own business is totally against UK business law never mind competition law. 

It’s lengthy but worth a listen…….what I took from it was sport is special but not as special as it thinks it is given sports are multi billion £ businesses these days.

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/podcasts/the-sports-law-podcast/the-sport-and-competition-law-podcast/

Edited by FloydianMag

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not saying we should be happy about it - just that FFP isn’t as unpopular as some are making out, and it isn’t about to start a Levellers moment in football

If we don’t do anything then we’ll just have to be happy being an also rans.

Edited by FloydianMag

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

If we don’t do anything then we’ll just have to be happy being an also ran.

I’d happily bet that we won’t challenge it. That doesn’t mean that we can’t grow the club - but at present, I’m struggling to see how they achieve Staveley’s wilder claims.  

2 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I really, really hope that happens... I won't hold my breath though. The more I look at it, the more it seems the revenue guys behind all this protectionism are looking at concentrating on what money they can make from neutrals and fans of the established arsehole clubs. Fuck anyone else, it's a win for the Americans, just a short step to player drafts and their wanky NFL setup.

It will happen I've got no doubt about it. It will only take one club to take it to court, to blow the whole thing apart. The noise is building week by week and it's far more prevalent within the national media. Time will tell though. 

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d happily bet that we won’t challenge it. That doesn’t mean that we can’t grow the club - but at present, I’m struggling to see how they achieve Staveley’s wilder claims.  

Well we’ll just have to be happy with who we are and accept that the elite clubs have crushed any ambition the club, it’s owners and fans have.

Edited by FloydianMag

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And the chairman's aims. The Saudis are certainly not scared to go down the legal route. I totally disagree with your thoughts, but the proof will be in the pudding. I personally think it's only a matter of time and the meeting later on this month to discuss FFP or its new name will be the catalyst. 

I mean c'mon, look how shit the last transfer window was across the board, how is that helping sell the product? I don't see how it's sustainable in creating 'The best, most watched league in the world', if anything it's going to push neutrals to watch leagues in other countries where FFP isn't a thing or certainly not as damaging.

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

I mean c'mon, look how shit the last transfer window was across the board, how is that helping sell the product? I don't see how it's sustainable in creating 'The best, most watched league in the world', if anything it's going to push neutrals to watch leagues in other countries where FFP isn't a thing or certainly not as damaging.

This is a very weird take as literally no league in Europe is spending money.

Just now, et tu brute said:

And the chairman's aims. The Saudis are certainly not scared to go down the legal route. I totally disagree with your thoughts, but the proof will be in the pudding. I personally think it's only a matter of time and the meeting later on this month to discuss FFP or its new name will be the catalyst. 

The meeting is today and tomorrow according to the Douglas article or have I got it wrong?

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I wonder if its a way of forcing through a superleague in 10 yrs time or so

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. The cynic in me could see a future where it would encourage the rest of the teams in the leagues to want to see the back of the protectionist elite so that they could do their own thing.

2 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. The cynic in me could see a future where it would encourage the rest of the teams in the leagues to want to see the back of the protectionist elite so that they could do their own thing.

If they did I’d love to see KSA sponsor what’s left of the PL for far more than sponsors of any ESL.

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Dos this mean no club will ever be able to build a new stadium ever again?  How much was the Spurs stadium?

£1bn. Same as Everton. Ultimate form of financial handcuffing as stops you supercharging gate receipts and commercial revenues.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

£1bn. Same as Everton. Ultimate form of financial handcuffing as stops you supercharging gate receipts and commercial revenues.

Its farcical.  Virtually all businesses make losses when building expensive new infrastructure - in every other sector it is viewed as necessary investment and is a positive thing.  FFP when it came to operating profits and losses as regards transfers and wages are one thing, but this is just nonsense.

39 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Chelsea can't afford to sack Pooch because the compensation they would have to pay would put them in breach of FFP

They shouldn’t be sacking him anyway. Managers need time (probably a discussion for a different thread)

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Team up with Man City.  We lob some Abu Dhabi company £100m on the sly to sponsor us, they do the same with some Saudi company.